TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Free Float

I want to free float my bull barrel in my stock, as it is its not free floated,
Do I
1. Totally free float from front to back of the stock
2. Leave some timber at the chamber end to support the barrel in the stock
3. Leave some timber at the crown end of the barrel to support the barrel
4. Totally free float the barrel and use some pressure pads.
Is any one option better than the others ?
Old 05-29-2017, 07:20 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Both of the bull barrels I have done, were totally free floated, using support pads. Mine shot better with the pad, than they did floated.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:25 PM
rawhp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishshooter View Post
I want to free float my bull barrel in my stock, as it is its not free floated,
Do I
1. Totally free float from front to back of the stock
2. Leave some timber at the chamber end to support the barrel in the stock
3. Leave some timber at the crown end of the barrel to support the barrel
4. Totally free float the barrel and use some pressure pads.
Is any one option better than the others ?
#3 and #4 are essentially the same thing (just varying location of the support), and aren't considered "free floating". #1 only works if you add a rear anchor to the receiver. Both #1 anf #2 are considered free floating, and both can be successful, but you have to decide wihether you want to add a rear anchor of some sort for #1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2017, 06:00 AM
Irishshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys for the info, it really doesn't matter to me which option I use, just trying to find out, is there any options that will work better than others,, I may have to try a few. The main worry I have at the minute is I have a 3lb Kidd barrel that I think may droop if I don't have some kind of support some where in the barrel channel.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:07 AM
rawhp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Thanks guys for the info, it really doesn't matter to me which option I use, just trying to find out, is there any options that will work better than others,, I may have to try a few. The main worry I have at the minute is I have a 3lb Kidd barrel that I think may droop if I don't have some kind of support some where in the barrel channel.
Don't overtighten the v-block screws and you won't have a problem. if you don't have a torque driver, then go with barely snug.

I got best results with #2 with a bedding pad in front of the v-block, even with a rear anchor, when using a plastic stock. Same setup in a laminate stock has best results with no pad, fully floated with rear anchor. At lot of factors will determine which works best.

Last edited by rawhp; 05-30-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:17 AM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have done a Ruger 20" bull, and a Kidd 18" bull. Both barrels worked best with a support pad, after totally free floating. By totally floating first, you have the option of trying it floated, then trying support. You can try support at different places in the channel, and go with what works best. If you leave wood in the back, or tip of the stock, you already made the choice of placement.

Both of my barrels had a rear hold down, and still didn't shoot good floated.
The placement of the pad can vary from one gun to another, you have to find what works best for you.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:42 PM
Irishshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks again for your help, my stock is laminate so I think I will have to get the sand paper out tomorrow, looks like as mentioned I will totally free float and add support if needed.

What have you guys used for pressure pads ?
Old 05-30-2017, 07:56 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Thanks again for your help, my stock is laminate so I think I will have to get the sand paper out tomorrow, looks like as mentioned I will totally free float and add support if needed.

I have used pieces of inner tube, tire patch, and layers of aluminum HVAC tape. I have also seen others use layers of cork, or foam.

After reading this thread, I started using Permatex RTV, a gasket maker. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=645761

I like the RTV the best. This is a thread on my recent build, with a GM Heavy Taper barrel, that I used Permatex for a pad. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=829106

If you use inner tube, or tape, and find your desired spot. You can then bed that area with epoxy, if you desire.

If you do use RTV, or epoxy, put a layer of painters tape in the channel first. So it can be easily removed, if needed. What ever you choose to use, make sure you keep it in the 4 to 8 Oclock area of the barrel channel. You don't want it putting pressure on the sides of the barrel.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:16 PM
rawhp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Hawkeye57 is the guru on pads, I'm barely a disciple.

I have an 18" non-fluted GM barrel that shoots best fully floated (with a rear anchor). However, my goal wasn't for the gun to shoot great groups with the ammo it likes best, but to consistently shoot really good groups with a variety of affordable ammo (sub 1/2"@50).

Since I live in a state where access to ammo, and specifically choices for quality ammo, are already limited, and will be severely limited by next January, I needed to factor in flexibility into the equation. I did try various supports and pads while testing over the course of about a year and a half before landing where I am (some of my best groups were before free floating).
Old 05-30-2017, 08:52 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I used some aluminium tape on my sporter barreled stock.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:03 AM
Irishshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have inner tube and aluminium tape I also have Sugru, it was invented by an Irish girl so I have to sing its praises, if you haven't heard of it, its a mouldable rubber adhesive, I use it to shape my pistols grip, real easy to work with, and to shape and remove if needed. I was thinking it would be worth a go as a pressure pad at some stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoTlG1D-T58
Old 05-31-2017, 09:08 AM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
I have inner tube and aluminium tape I also have Sugru, it was invented by an Irish girl so I have to sing its praises, if you haven't heard of it, its a mouldable rubber adhesive, I use it to shape my pistols grip, real easy to work with, and to shape and remove if needed. I was thinking it would be worth a go as a pressure pad at some stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoTlG1D-T58
The Sugru may work OK. Make sure that you apply the same takedown pressure that you normally do, when it is in the curing process.

Good Luck.