Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:41 PM
outcrydrummer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Am i just stupid....

So if you have seen my 455 post you know ive been struggling with my 455 accuracy. Tried everything twice and no luck. Averaging 2" groups at 100 yards.
Well i started looking for a replacement rifle today...ended the day looking for a 455 tacticool.
Am i stupid to think i will get a shooter this time? Lol
What are the odds.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:35 AM
sicumj
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Wouldn't it be better to put an aftermarket barrel on your existing rifle? I haven't read your other thread but I would not buy again from the same manufacturer if I was disappointed in their first rifle.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:41 AM
Brno_No1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't know.

I also don't know why that one didn't shoot - you had two different barrels, it was pillared and bedded. It should have shot.

Send it to me in Australia - maybe it's a Southern hemisphere model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2017, 04:13 AM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Stupid? Naw. Optimistic? Maybe.
If so, then you have lots of company.
Plenty of us hoping for custom built, benchrest accuracy
from mass produced sporters intended for hunting or plinking.
Does it happen? Sure. Is it likely? No.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:22 AM
dnttech

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
outcrydrummer....If the rifle is shooting that poorly and you wish to unload it, send me a pm with a price. I'd be happy to take it off your hands.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:09 AM
LongRange1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i kinda skimmed through your 455 post and i mean no disrespect with these questions so please dont take them wrong.

first are you sure its the rifle and not you? you need to be honest with yourself here and forget the pride for a minute...are you capable of shooting the accuracy your looking for even with a high end rifle?

how much experience do you have shooting groups? have you shot for groups for years or just start?

also you realize its a challenge all by its self to go out and shoot hundreds of rounds for groups in a day right...especially if your looking through a low end scope...about 100 rounds for me and its like someone has their finger in my eye LOL.

how are you shooting groups? i think you said off a bench front rest and rear bag? is that how you have always shot or is that equipment new to you?

again just looking for more info to possible help you figure this out.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:10 AM
*Rim-Star*

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outcrydrummer View Post
So if you have seen my 455 post you know ive been struggling with my 455 accuracy. Tried everything twice and no luck. Averaging 2" groups at 100 yards.
Well i started looking for a replacement rifle today...ended the day looking for a 455 tacticool.
Am i stupid to think i will get a shooter this time? Lol
What are the odds.

Just curious, when you were shooting at 100 yards did you use wind flags? premium ammo? good rest?. Factory guns for the most part are a crap shoot sometimes there great sometimes not so much.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:12 AM
Phish4one

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you tried changing the scope?
Old 04-15-2017, 07:51 AM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I donno about you guys...............

But a factory 22 lr rimfire rifle that shoots 2 inches at 100 yards is a pretty good darn piece of shooting iron.

I used to shoot rimfire benchrest with guys that were really serious and the winner rarely had a group at 100 yards smaller then an inch. this was using 36 power scopes, custom rifles by the best craftsmen, rests that looked like they were designed by NASA, and rimfire ammunition whos price tag made me choke.

My Winchester 52c position rifle will do 0.20 at 50 yards but I do not think I have ever gotten it less then an inch at 100.

2 inch group at 100 yards for a off the rack 22lr rimfire? that's pretty darn good.

Regards,
Crankster

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com

Last edited by crankythunder; 04-15-2017 at 07:54 AM. Reason: misspellings added to verify authorship by engineer
Old 04-15-2017, 08:02 AM
Moedum1

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
What do you have for a front rest and rear bag? Have you gotten it to shoot consistently good groups at 50 yards? Have you found it's ammo preference? And most important of all, did you invest in good glass?
Old 04-15-2017, 08:24 AM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankythunder View Post
But a factory 22 lr rimfire rifle that shoots 2 inches at 100 yards is a pretty good darn piece of shooting iron.

I used to shoot rimfire benchrest with guys that were really serious and the winner rarely had a group at 100 yards smaller then an inch. this was using 36 power scopes, custom rifles by the best craftsmen, rests that looked like they were designed by NASA, and rimfire ammunition whos price tag made me choke.

My Winchester 52c position rifle will do 0.20 at 50 yards but I do not think I have ever gotten it less then an inch at 100.

2 inch group at 100 yards for a off the rack 22lr rimfire? that's pretty darn good.

Regards,
Crankster
THIS

A 22lr bullet takes a long time to get to a 100 yard target. Therefore, ANY wind will cause it to drift SIGNIFICANTLY. Plus, since it takes so long to get there, it's dropping pretty fast at that range, and ANY variance in velocity from shot to shot will cause significant vertical stringing.

A higher velocity round is required to RELIABLY shoot good groups at 100 yards. Sure, you'll occasionally see it done with a 22lr, but for all the GOOD targets you see, there are a LOT of bad ones... from the same gun.

A CZ that shoots 2" at 100 yards is not a bad shooting gun. Even with the best of rifles, wind and ammo are huge factors at that range.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:36 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shooting at 100 is more challenging than shooting at 50, which is closer to what the .22LR is best used for. It may be more manly too, but not when trying to figure out what a newish shooter is having difficulties with. Try shooting at 50 yards. This will help reduce the vagaries of wind and ammo that are exacerbated at 100.

Having said that, however trite it may sound, the stock CZ 455 (and 452) is not a rifle that offers any guarantee, implied or otherwise, despite what may be posted by enthusiasts on forums such as this, that it is a MOA shooter. If you shoot 2 MOA at 50 maybe that's as good as it gets with an out-of-the-box CZ. If you shoot 2 MOA at 100 maybe it's a wee bit better than an average stock CZ.

CZ shooters must understand that the CZ rifles are not BR rifles; they are hunting and plinking rifles. To be sure they are usually better made with better fit and finish and often more accurate than other affordable rifles. But they are not guaranteed to produce 0.5 MOA at 50 yards, and certainly not at 100. Some out-of-the-box CZ's are better than others, but it is worth keeping in mind that the more typical and average CZ's rarely get their praises sung on these pages.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:53 AM
arjay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Am i just stupid....

Getting MOA at 50 yards from a 22 is pretty darn good,at 100 yards it's going to take a lot of skill,luck and money.The easiest way to do it is to buy a 17hmr
Old 04-15-2017, 09:05 AM
outcrydrummer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Hopefully i can answer all the questions without being to confusing.

Me; Am I a world class bench rest shooter.....absolutely not. I have been bench rest shooting for fun for years. I do consider myself a fairly good shot. I have a few other .22lr rifles that I shoot that I can consistently shoot 1" groups with in the right conditions.

Equipment; I have shot the cz off of a lead sled, regular rest, and a combination of bags, all shoot an average of 2" groups.

I have tried lots of match ammo through the rifle; rws rifle match, eley target, eley club, eley match, eley edge, lapua center x, fiocchi 320, sk plus, sk standard, cci sv, mini mags, federal hv match, etc.

I have shot the rifle with said ammo and equipment through 3 different scopes. Sig whiskey 3, knightforce, and a vortex viper (current optic).

I shoot on my personal 200 yard range @ 100 yards with two wind flags; 50 and 100 yards off of a concrete shooting bench

Myself, a friend who is a competent long range shooter, and my father who is a very competent shooter (former USMC rifle team shooter) have all shot the cz and manage the same groups. On the same day with same conditions we shot other rifles 10/22 target, magnum lite 10/22, and my ruger 10/22 lvt and we were all shooting around 1" groups.... cz was stringing groups that day from 2" to 5" groups at 100 yards.

Like I said I don't claim to be an excellent shooter but I have experience shooting groups at long range. I regularly shoot rimfire those distances as well as centerfire shooting out to 600 to 800 yards.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:08 AM
outcrydrummer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnttech View Post
outcrydrummer....If the rifle is shooting that poorly and you wish to unload it, send me a pm with a price. I'd be happy to take it off your hands.
I might take you up on that. Let me mull it over, I don't normally sell them once they hit the gun room LOL.