Forget the reline - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:23 PM
lizardtrack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Forget the reline

URL=http://s43.photobucket.com/user/lizardtrack/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-03/PSX_20170325_214931_zpsqmtecyzl.jpg.html][/URL]

I put a scope on my W/R martini and found the problem is my eyes. The first shot was to the right so I moved 5 clicks to left and fired 5 shots at 25 yds. I think I'll leave it alone.

Last edited by lizardtrack; 03-29-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:54 PM
Bob Smalser

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Good, I've relined a number of rimfire barrels over the decades but never had one produce what I consider target-grade accuracy.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:29 AM
Trigger1212
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bob,

Just out of curiosity, did you do the reline yourself or have someone else do it? I have to do some more serious shooting with my Martini to see how it really shoots. I will not mount a scope on it as that would pretty much be unacceptable on the rifle I have (couple post from here).

I did do a thorough clean of it and I'm sure it had a significant carbon ring in front of the chamber as I could feel it while chambering a round. Cleaned it last night and round now just slips right in.

Did take another peek down the bore with the Hawkeye, waaaaaay more pitted than I remember on my first peek down the bore, on the order of 100 pits per inch! Have not purchased the rifle yet but if I do I think I will send a few fire lapping rounds down the tube to see what happens. Can't hurt!

Cheers!

Wade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2017, 10:43 AM
Bob Smalser

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger1212 View Post
Bob,

Just out of curiosity, did you do the reline yourself or have someone else do it?
I do the relines using a piloted drill bit and either solder or epoxy in a liner before cutting to length and chambering/crowning.

As long-hole drilling is an art unto itself, installing a stress-free liner is much more difficult than advertised. Crowns and chambers are the easy part. The next one I do will have a larger-diameter, reamed and cleaned hole and the space filled with more epoxy.

When accuracy falls off, step one is to get the lead out of the bore, and step two is to cut a fresh crown. I've always been surprised at the amount of roughness and pitting in the middle of the bore that will still produce good results.