Do I have the most accurate stock 10/22 you've heard of? - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:09 PM
Boscohurn
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I would not give up on the Wolf yet. Wait for a warmer day, 50 or so, dump 20 rounds into an extra target. The stuff has lube on it and it usually improves after running some rounds thru it. Same with Eley. With a clean barrel, you can often see the group start to tighten up after 10 or so rounds.

I have read and noticed thru personal experience that match ammo does worse at the 40 deg. +/- range.

All rifles being different tho....ymmv

Also, rig up some kind of cheek riser, it will be tough to repeat with your face wandering around behind the scope
Old 01-30-2017, 07:38 AM
22Cool
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscohurn View Post
I would not give up on the Wolf yet. Wait for a warmer day, 50 or so, dump 20 rounds into an extra target. The stuff has lube on it and it usually improves after running some rounds thru it. Same with Eley. With a clean barrel, you can often see the group start to tighten up after 10 or so rounds.

I have read and noticed thru personal experience that match ammo does worse at the 40 deg. +/- range.

All rifles being different tho....ymmv

Also, rig up some kind of cheek riser, it will be tough to repeat with your face wandering around behind the scope
Thanks for the advice! I'll try more target ammo after I get more dialed in and get my range bearings.

However from my target pistol experience (and also according to the book which tested so many 10/22s with different ammo), each gun will usually shoot different ammo at varying differences in accuracy and cycling effectiveness. Note that in my earlier indoor testing (pic below), my old scope was previously already sighted in for CCI SV and then when I realized I had run out, I tried Wolf and both shots were wide apart and far off center. Then I switched to two shots Eley Sport and both shots overlapped on the bullseye. Pretty darning evidence there of significant differences. Still, this was just a small test and doesn't take account for the FRF (First Round Flier) my gun seems to often make, so I'll test more later and will definitely test more Wolf (maybe the lube helped the two CCI SVs which followed?).

A cheek riser would definitely help, but I'm trying to keep it as stock as possible...we'll see.

Last edited by 22Cool; 01-30-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:26 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
yes indeed.

Darn good group @ 50yds all things considered.

Pace off the distance. I can guarantee that if I pace-off thirty paces it will be 25yds +/- 18" every time. Will put a c-note on it and I DO NOT gamble.

Your paces might be different. I just 'walk' it.

My "shooting spot" is isolated in the boonies far from anyone. I have been setting up my table in that spot for a LONG time. Target locations have been marked with a tape out to 100yds for the 'games' but I count my paces anyway just to prove it. That means I have prove it hundreds of times.

If its not an official contest... close is good enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2017, 02:28 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BTW,

Quick and dirty cheek rest is pipe insulation foam stretch-wrapped on. Good enough for a day at the range to see what you do and don't like.

Takes 1 minute to install and 2 seconds to remove.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:47 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
These are old targets from 'Cheekbone' with factory barrel @ 50yds for something to compare too. Note the annotation f/s. f/s stands for factory stock.

Not the best I ever did with Rifle Match ammo but is the best I ever did with Tac22 at 50yds.

Do not know if I could match that now with the carbine or not. Hope to find out soon.

50yd SK RM

50yd Tac-22

Last edited by 86c; 01-30-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:45 PM
22Cool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86c View Post
yes indeed.

Darn good group @ 50yds all things considered.

Pace off the distance. I can guarantee that if I pace-off thirty paces it will be 25yds +/- 18" every time. Will put a c-note on it and I DO NOT gamble.

Your paces might be different. I just 'walk' it.

My "shooting spot" is isolated in the boonies far from anyone. I have been setting up my table in that spot for a LONG time. Target locations have been marked with a tape out to 100yds for the 'games' but I count my paces anyway just to prove it. That means I have prove it hundreds of times.

If its not an official contest... close is good enough.
Thanks for the advice! I was actually thinking the same myself and was about to try pacing it off this morning, but couldn't get to the range. I thought it would be simple given that I can measure my stride in the snow.

Quote:
BTW,

Quick and dirty cheek rest is pipe insulation foam stretch-wrapped on. Good enough for a day at the range to see what you do and don't like.

Takes 1 minute to install and 2 seconds to remove.
I was thinking of trying one of those you can strap/stretch on and this sounds like a great alternative; however one of my personal goals with this rifle is to eventually keep it box stock, so I think I can figure some work around. I think what worked for me last time was using the fingers on my right hand over the top of the stock and resting my cheek against that. I'll just need to practice more as well as get my scope set up correctly (plus possibly adjust the mounting for correct eye relief...the directions on the rings said to refer to the scope instructions for that, but none were listed...may need to do web research).

Thanks also for the sample 50yd shots from Cheekbone for reference! I'll try to get a few targets done in 4 strings as well, but it may take me a while...temps this week will be a high in the low 30's (teens at night) with snow coming tomorrow. Boy, my timing probably makes me look a bit nutty to others at times - number of vehicles passing by as I was at the long range this past weekend slowed down seemingly surprised to see someone there. Still, I used to want to train myself to be tough, so heck, can't expect it to be like sitting at home on a warm sofa, huh?

I'll update again once I get a chance to shoot anything significant.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:46 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am strictly a fair-weather shooter myself so I wouldn't know.

Took the Feddersen barrel off my 50th action and put the original barrel back on and rtv bedded it into a carbine stock. This is my 'other carbine'. I don't like to throw a ton of money at anything much less pea-shooters so in order to do something 'different' I just re-arrange the ones I have and try different ways of bedding/tuning/tweaking/shooting. This past summer I picked up three vintage stocks. Two walnut carbines and one DSP.

This is the fsba (factory-stock barrel-action) from cheekbone set in the vintage walnut carbine stock in the pics of the shooting bags. Named it knotme.

So to be clear…it is the same barreled action that shot the target on page one for the SuperStock ” club with an improved trigger, bigger scope (barska), one-piece rest in an old carbine stock.

First time out in 2mos. Had a real nice day. Weather was EXCELLENT and shooting weren’t too bad either.

Played around a lot with grip and ‘stuff’. Started out with the Nikon 4x and the targets I normally like for 100yds.

Pertinent to your eye-relief and target selection… here is what I saw at 25yds with no camera zoom.

The NIKON scopes have the MOST generous eye-relief (by far) than any other scope I have looked thru. Their turrets are excellent also although the clicks are 1/2moa, the cross hairs a tad fat…the 1/2moa clicks means you also have double the range it would have at 1/4moa. All things considered it is a GREAT scope for plinking and will cover any rifle bore to scope mis-alignment from the factory EASILY. Just some fyi general reference material. 

4x scoped and target

The notes 'light' and such next to the stars refers to grip/hold style.

Swapped scopes to the 32x barska. Had a good time experimenting with t/d screw, barrel band screw, various grips as well as w/ and w/o non-slip matte on bags. Wound up spending the day trying to learn how to shoot with free-recoil…again…not gonna say how long I have been trying to learn how to shoot

Barska 8-32x44mm a/o scoped and targets

Before I shot the target in the pic below I was experimenting with the t/d screw and wound up leaving completely out.

Last edited by 86c; 02-01-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:23 PM
22Cool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Regarding "fair weather", I did a bit of research and found out how differently target shooting can be in cold weather and now I get your reference to the bullets being out in the cold (and yes...they were out in the cold ).

I also recently read a few mentions about free recoil and believe that the really great shots I got in the OP possibly were done this way. Along the same lines I was thinking that I'd like to eventually spend a few hours at the range to test the gun with and w/o the band as well as the takedown screw tension. Boy...LOTS of stuff to learn and test, yet never enough time.

Thanks for the tip on the scope! I was recently trying to decide on how to scope my first custom 10/22 build (sorry factory readers...this one isn't "facty"):

This was what I had originally planned for the gun until it was printing unbelievable groups...I then went out and got another 10/22 for this build (luckily it was on sale for $199!).
Old 02-01-2017, 08:36 PM
22Cool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The other day, I met up with my local ffl to pick up a internet ordered takedown. I hadn't seen him in maybe 2 years and we started chatting about the 10/22...turns out he used to own his own gun store and did a lot of custom 10/22s years ago! I showed him a pic of the targets I shot and he seemed impressed that it was stock. He also noted that he'd be surprised if that outdoor target wasn't 50 yards.

Just to confirm for sure, I did go to the range and pace out where I shot this and it is 50yd!

This one is the pick of the puddle, but I had so much working against me that I don't think it was pure luck to be able to get that group at that distance with "frozen" ammo (LOL). Still, I'll go back and test more once I get the chance...with bullets in my pockets this time!

I'm thinking I should try the plywood rifle rest stand I saw at the outdoor range to see what groups it can get with less of me in the picture. Here's a pic of the rest on the lower left (again, I found these after I finished shooting...DUH):
Old 02-01-2017, 08:56 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep, that is darned good group at 50yds alright.

Proves it can be done if the shooter is up to it.

All the pistol practice is paying off now.

Shoot a full card that way and you might make the Ultimate 50yd games with a factory-stock carbine. Then you can learn me how to shoot so I can do it too.

Gotta get calipers tho... unless all five rounds are in one round hole (.35" ctc) in which case you can't get on the board w/o calipers but there is NO QUESTION you did the deed.

I say go for it.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:08 PM
22Cool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Yep, that is darned good group at 50yds alright.

Proves it can be done if the shooter is up to it.

All the pistol practice is paying off now.

Shoot a full card that way and you might make the Ultimate 50yd games with a factory-stock carbine. Then you can learn me how to shoot so I can do it too.

Gotta get calipers tho... unless all five rounds are in one round hole (.35" ctc) in which case you can't get on the board w/o calipers but there is NO QUESTION you did the deed.

I say go for it.
Thanks for all your positive comments, great information and support 86c! I would LOVE to get on the boards with "Facty" (name I choose until I think of sumthin betta); however the hard part right now is reminding myself to be patient and to do things right - it's killin' me!

Plus who knows if the cleaning wiped away some of the good mojo! Haha!
Old 02-01-2017, 09:19 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You are welcome of course.

Paying back for all the 'stuff' that came my way when I first joined. I was pretty pumped up about my new 50th model DSP shooting so well.

Superstitious eh...

When DrGunner first pointed me to SK RM I want out and shot five groups in a row that would have made it... never could repeat... still trying to make the 50yd game with f/s
Old 02-02-2017, 12:15 AM
22Cool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Superstitious eh...
Not really; however I often get streaks of bad luck I just can't explain. Still, I refuse to believe it good luck charms, etc. I figure things balance out and I've had a few really good luck episodes in my life...like getting Facty!
Old 02-02-2017, 12:28 AM
22Cool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Okie Dokie...got to the range tonight...

Good news is that Facty is still shooting well after the cleaning. Bad news is that I'm not shooting so well tonight. Seemed to be a case of jitters (first noticed when I shot my pistols first).

Setup - single bag, Sweet 22 scope set to max 18x to see what I can do with it; however I had trouble with the shakiness at that magnification.

I resighted the scope since it was last set on the 50yd target. The 5 shots on the right after sighting looked promising!

Old 02-02-2017, 12:35 AM
22Cool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
In fact, they looked good enough that I decided, what the heck, and pulled out one of the tack driver targets.

The three shot clovers on the upper left & lower right targets were very nice and shows that Facty has potential! The strays are all me...jitters and flinches, etc. Also the two right side targets had FTLs (Failures to Load).