Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:39 PM
8905c

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Contender Problem

My brother has a Contender with 3 barrels. A .22 lr match, .22 hornet, and a .41 mag.
The gun shoots well with the .22 lr, and .22 hornet barrels. Today, he tried the .41 mag barrel. When the hammer is cocked and the trigger pulled the gun will not fire with the .41 barrel. The hammer stops short of striking the primer, in the safety position.
Any ideas on what could be causing this problem with only the .41 barrel?
8905c
Old 06-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Nobody
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Is the firing pin selector on the hammer moved to center fire from rim fire?
Old 06-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Southernjeepn06
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
wow I thought I was reading my own thread for a minute. I have the same problem. G1 Contender with .22LR barrel that shoots fine. Just got a .22 Hornet barrel and it won't fire unless I slam it shut. Even then it fires 1/2 the time. The problem can be one of a few things but check this link out and it should explain everything.

BTW, i haven't fixed mine yet but I'm pretty sure my locking lugs aren't fully engaging in the receiver when closed. T/C builts a safety where if it's not fully locked that the hammer will not be able to fall completely and hit the firing pin. I thought it may be the bullet I loaded but the barrel was put on another Contender (friend at the range) and it fired 100% of the time. They may look exactly the same but all Receivers are slightly different and it can cause problems. It's not a hard fix though.

Link with all the info you need.
http://www.lasc.us/BellmContenderMisfires.htm
Old 06-03-2011, 06:25 PM
FyrepowrX

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
might check on the .41maggy to make sure it has split locking bolts, the 2 piece design.

havent seen many 1 pc bolts on 41mag barrels, but ya never know.

most common causes are:

poor fitting bolts, or a burr on the bolt face
weak bolt spring
burr on the locking bolt shelf of the frame, where the bolts engage
crud buildup on locking bolt shelf
headspace issues (not likely on a straight wall cartidge...but...never know

TC will refit 1 pc bolts for free, or did in the past, dunno now that they have moved/consolidated production.

G~
Old 06-04-2011, 01:58 AM
Larry in SD

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX View Post
might check on the .41maggy to make sure it most common causes are:

poor fitting bolts, or a burr on the bolt face
weak bolt spring
burr on the locking bolt shelf of the frame, where the bolts engage
G~
That would be my guess also. I have had to swap out a few bolts over the years that caused the same exact problem.

Give TC a call.

Larry
Old 06-05-2011, 08:05 AM
deeber

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
With your barrel fully closed, hold the gun up to a strong light source and see how much gap there is between the frame and barrel. Check all of your barrels like this. You can use a feeler gauge to see how much gap you have with each barrel, If you have some gap with all of them, then you will understand what the real problem is.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:41 PM
FAST996

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Same but different problem

Rather than start a new thread I'll just explain my problem which is a little different. I just put together a TC G1 contender from parts. Everything fits without a cartridge chambered....it closes,it fires,locks up correctly,opens without too much force applied to the trigger guard. Now when I chamber a "fired round" it will not close. Not even close. Is it the shell not being re sized? Or something else? Thanks
Old 07-13-2015, 03:26 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Was that fired case you used originally fired in that barrel? If not, you should resize it, then recheck. Or, even better, try a new, empty piece of brass.

≡✪≡
Old 07-13-2015, 07:22 PM
buck33

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I had the same issue with an easy open frame and a .357 magnum 2 bolt barrel. The problem (for my Contender) was the bolts were not seating back far enough to rotate the Inter-Lock Safety allowing the Hammer Block Safety to drop when the hammer was cocked. Solution I used was to mark the top of the bolts with a black sharpie, locked up and opened the barrel and noticed how far the bolts pushed back. Using a diamond file and having the barrel in a vise I slowly filed away material from the top of bolts (keeping the angle correct) repeated again. After @ 1 hour of working slow, as to not remove too much material, all was good.

As a reference, use one of the working barrels and mark the bolts with a sharpie close and open the barrel and you will see how far back the bolts need to go. Not saying this is your Contenders problem just giving a humble opinion.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:30 PM
FAST996

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think before I start filing the locks I will resize this case first. The barrel is brand new and Zipper brass is hard to come by,as I purchased this brass used and don't no the history of it.

I have another contender and it works perfectly,so I'll study that and see if I can tell if the there is in fact a mechanical problem. Thanks
Old 07-17-2015, 05:06 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (126)
I have a pristine Gen 1 that I recently bought. I bought two new barrels for it, a T/C in .223 that required a fair bit of filing/ stoning on the lock to engage the interlock. The other, an MGM in .357 Max, had split locks, and fit first time. I tried swapping out the single lock of the T/C barrel for a set of MGM splits, but it was not working once again, so there appears to be a difference in the location points of the locks. They do both shoot great, however. In case you are unaware, here is a great reference ans sales site for the care and feeding of your T/C.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=562
Old 08-18-2015, 11:11 PM
280shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a first Gen T/C ,that I bought a long time ago in 221 Fireball,10 in Bull barrel.
Cabelas had a sale on 223.carbine kit, barrel ,forarm,stock, real cheap, Junk, the 221 and the 223 wont shoot a group at any distance.(But that's for some other time)
If you try to close the breach, and it wont fire? The guns not in lock down mode.the firing pins not hitting the primer.I ran into that using Lee dies for my Bullberry barrel in 30 Herrett, after a phone call to Bull Berry, the company sent me Dies,I pulled all the Bullets. And resized all the brass, all the cases unfired and fired dropped in and fell out with no effort,
T/C has a life time warrantee, you can send it up to them,,, and hope they even look at it.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:19 PM
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAST996 View Post
Rather than start a new thread I'll just explain my problem which is a little different. I just put together a TC G1 contender from parts. Everything fits without a cartridge chambered....it closes,it fires,locks up correctly,opens without too much force applied to the trigger guard. Now when I chamber a "fired round" it will not close. Not even close. Is it the shell not being re sized? Or something else? Thanks
All chambers are different, you should not expect to have brass that was fired in a different chamber fit. Even some brass will not fit it's original fired chamber for various reasons. FL size your brass then try the fit. If it does not let the hammer fall to fire position the the barrel bolt will need fitting to the receiver. The variation in fitting will more than likely be the barrel bolt, not the frame!! Good luck!!
Old 08-22-2016, 08:21 PM
dedubaya

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just Like previous posters have mentioned and according to the Mike Belm Website, the main problem is the locking lugs just are not getting all the way in. As it has been posted and written on the Belm site, either reduce the size of the lugs, or de-burr or get new undersized lugs. I sold a barrel I really wanted then found out why it wouldn't work. Tough pill to swallow but thats how I learned what to do.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:03 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (126)
I bought a .223 T/C barrel, and it took quite a bit of file and stone work to fit the locking lug. I found the easiest way was to remove the trigger guard so I could actually see the lug interact with the safety interlock. That gave me good visibility when fitting, so I was able to take just enough off the lug ramp to make it actuate the interlock. On the other hand, I bought an MGM barrel in .357 Maximum that went right in and actuated fine, no fitting required. It has the newer split lock design. I tried a set of split locks on the T/C barrel, but it would not lock up, so I put the single back in. I will have to fit them too apparently, but at present the single lock is just fine.