Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:41 PM
The Hen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
beer money

My Mark 3 has had thousands of rounds thru it, and I like and can't complain about the trigger, but the unknown is gnawing at me. $27 would answer my question but maybe some expertise from one of you could save me a little beer money! I understand how a new Volquartsen sear with a higher degree of factory finish work would out perform a stock Ruger sear but after wear of thousands of uses would the hammer/sear interface be the same between the two? Simply put would a Volquartsen sear be advantageous at this point?
Old 05-08-2016, 07:19 AM
Rider357
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The Volquartsen sear is usually a big improvement. I don't think extensive shooting would result in the high polish and smooth finish of the V sear, that thing is slippery as a fish. Others with more experience on the subject may disagree.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:52 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hen View Post
My Mark 3 has had thousands of rounds thru it, and I like and can't complain about the trigger, but the unknown is gnawing at me. $27 would answer my question but maybe some expertise from one of you could save me a little beer money! I understand how a new Volquartsen sear with a higher degree of factory finish work would out perform a stock Ruger sear but after wear of thousands of uses would the hammer/sear interface be the same between the two? Simply put would a Volquartsen sear be advantageous at this point?
There's always the possibility that one might get lucky with a factory sear and it might wear itself smooth, but the chances are slim. The volquartsen sear has better geometry, along with a better finish and pivot pin bore. Here's a picture of a factory sear that will never wear smooth and then, next to it a reworked factory sear where the pivot pin hole was reworked along with the sear face.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2016, 04:14 PM
ScoobyDoo

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I believe it would still be a big improvement. However, I'm also a big believer in pairing the VQ trigger with the VQ sear so double your budget. The sear reduces the trigger weight and the trigger (once adjusted) removes the creep and overtravel. You end up with a very nice, crisp, light trigger. Just sayin'.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:24 PM
sicumj
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The surface on the original sear looks like a shear cut. Is that they way they are manufactured? I will have to say in my limited Ruger work almost all trigger and action parts looked that bad. Just a stone and some deburring makes large improvements. Good photo SGW.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:53 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
I believe it would still be a big improvement. However, I'm also a big believer in pairing the VQ trigger with the VQ sear so double your budget. The sear reduces the trigger weight and the trigger (once adjusted) removes the creep and overtravel. You end up with a very nice, crisp, light trigger. Just sayin'.
Please explain how the trigger removes "creep".
Old 05-10-2016, 06:17 PM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
,,, a reworked factory sear where the pivot pin hole was reworked along with the sear face.

[/URL]
What does "reworked pivot hole" mean,,, or entail??
Old 05-10-2016, 07:51 PM
ScoobyDoo

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
Please explain how the trigger removes "creep".
Sorry, take up.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:51 AM
The Hen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for your input guys. On wagon for a month....or three!