Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:00 PM
woolfam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have a diagnosis?

I have a new Mark III Target. Only shot it once before doing the following mods:

Volquartsen Accurizing kit
Volquartsen Extractor
Tandemkross Hammer Bushing
Tandemkross LCI insert
Hogue Rubber Grip
Red dot sight on OEM rail

After shooting it one time (maybe 75 rounds), I took it apart, cleaned it, did an Eezox treatment, installed the upgrades, and reassembled it.

I took it to the range today and shot about another 75 rounds (Winchester) through it. It jammed on one round. I removed the round and found that the bullet was scraped and flattened on one side - case was fine. I assumed it was defective from the factory and reloaded. I had another jam on the 9th or 10th round in the magazine, and found another similar round.

So I loaded the magazine and shot one, extracted one, etc. through the 10 rounds. Round #6 had a slight scrape on the nose of the bullet. Round #8 had a scrape, and round #10 had a sever scrape on the bullet.

I repeated the experiment using another magazine, but had the same results.

Here are pictures of the rounds I extracted. Rounds #6 are on the left, rounds #10 on the right.

Here's a close-up of the 6th rounds...

Here's a close-up of the 10th rounds...

Any idea of what might be causing the malfunction?

Last edited by woolfam; 02-11-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:09 PM
MidwesternMutt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It jams the same way using all of your magazines?
Old 02-07-2015, 10:11 PM
woolfam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have two magazines, and it did the same thing with both magazines. I did take both of them apart and do the Eezox thing on them. But I've taken lots of mags apart and reassembled them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 12:00 PM
MidwesternMutt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are many more knowledgeable here than I am. But left to my own devices I would put the original parts back in and then replace them one at a time to find the culprit.
Like I said, others here may have a quick fix. Keep us all in the loop!
Old 02-08-2015, 01:21 PM
bouddha
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you looked real closely at the chamber mouth? My Mk II had a really sharp edge and shaved tiny bits off the incoming rounds. Yours makes me think that maybe dry firing peened an out-of-round chamber mouth.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:50 PM
kingshouse41225

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The only two parts I would change back are the extractor and the lci filler. Actually I would swap back the extractor and just leave the filler out, leaving an empty hole, and see what that does.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:13 PM
woolfam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
More Info...

Well, I've looked into it a little more today. The last few rounds in the mag are nosing too high going into the chamber...

This is what happens when I close the bolt slowly. When I jut let the bolt snap shut, the bullets chamber, but it results in the scrapes seen in my first post.

Magazine problem? It does it with both of the mags I have / that came with the gun. (I bought it new a month or two ago.)

Last edited by woolfam; 02-11-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:29 PM
Bob Noel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
fwiw

One thing I've noticed is that some .22lr ammo I have is actually a little too big. I haven't had failures to feed (FTF) after checking each round to make sure the bullet is within spec. I have one or two bricks of CCI SV that has a significant number of rounds with the diameter just a little over spec. And a smaller percentage of RWS Pistol Match slightly over.

I'm not claiming it was the only cause of FTF with my Mark III, I believe a complete disassembly & cleaning also helped. But checking the ammo appears to further reduce my FTF problems after the cleaning.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:57 PM
Redlegvzv
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would try some CCI mini-mags and see if the problem goes away. The following ammo works perfectly in all of my Mark pistols:

CCI Mini Mags
Federal Blue Box 525
Remington Golden Rounds
Centurion

I have 8 Mark pistols and all of them shoot the above without issues.

I have had problems with the following to some extent:

Federal Auto Match
CBs (too low velocity to work the action)
Thunderbolts (severe leading)
Old 02-09-2015, 12:11 AM
tonylc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternMutt View Post
...I would put the original parts back in and then replace them one at a time to find the culprit...
That would be my ultimate plan as well except I would start with reinstalling the original magazine disconnect parts then test for function. If it still gives problems I would probably return to all original parts and try that.

I have seen this same failure due to an out of spec bolt. The rounds were being shaved by the bottom leading edge of the bolt.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:39 AM
highflyerbill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
90% of the problems with auto pistols are directly related to the magazines . I would try some different mags. When you go out to a range see if you can barrow someone's magazine .
Old 02-09-2015, 10:53 AM
Schnauzer
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by highflyerbill View Post
90% of the problems with auto pistols are directly related to the magazines . I would try some different mags. When you go out to a range see if you can barrow someone's magazine .

This can also translate to a specific gun as well. My mags work perfectly in my MKIII but sometimes cause my MKI to occasionally stovepipe. Traced it back to a specific bullet shape (hollow points) that the 3 had no problems with but just occasionally gave the 1 some feed issues.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:54 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
This question may sound like its being a silly thing to ask, but here goes anyway. Which side of the magazine did you replace the follower button back in?
Old 02-09-2015, 03:56 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Any way you can post pictures of both of your magazines?
Old 02-09-2015, 04:24 PM
woolfam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will do so tonight. Thank!