Golden Bullets better than Thunderbolts? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:43 AM
Markie Boy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Golden Bullets better than Thunderbolts?

Are GB's any better than Thunderbolts? Also - are Cyclones just a hollow point Thunderbolt?

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2014, 03:06 PM
JohnAcman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Out of those three the Golden bullets work the best for my guns. I just got a brick of Cyclones and they scatter like buckshot. About the same for Thunderduds. Good tin can target fodder.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:37 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
"Better" in either case won't evelate to "acceptable"
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2014, 04:41 PM
gldnedge

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Remington bulk ammo, no matter which flavor you choose, will come with mixed reviews. So keep your mind open when you read opinions.

To be honest, I didn't shoot much Remington of any kind until the 22 shortage began a couple years ago, and GB's & Thunderbolts were the only thing I could find with any regularity. That said, a large portion of my shooting is simply can plinking and rodent extermination - so I'm not a slave to top quality ammo to begin with.

Anyhow, of the bulk Remington I've purchased in the past couple years, The GB's have shot remarkably well in my Ruger 22/45 and Thunderbolts equally as remarkable in my Marlin Model 60. When I say remarkable, I mean there is no type of CCI, Federal, etc, that works better in either gun. I now keep a decent little stock of both types of Remington in the gun safe.

Rather than rank the quality of Remington bulk ammo based on internet opinions, just try them yourself and see how they shoot. At only $3'ish a box, there's not much expense in experimenting, and it's a good excuse to get out for some trigger time.

Feliz Navidad
Old 12-22-2014, 04:42 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
262 views at this time and so few posts indicate most people won't touch any of them or even comment. But some ammo is better than no ammo. Maybe. But to answer your question, yes, the GB's I've shot have been better than the TB's. I have had good accuracy from Rem Subsonic, but you don't mention them.

Last edited by alum572; 12-22-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Szumi
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 1911 in .22 that GB functions flawlessly. Other lower end ammo short strokes it. So GB's have their place if your firearm likes them.

If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:11 PM
biologicole

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Golden bullets shoot accurately through most of my .22's -- WHEN they go off. Quite a few duds and weak shells, though.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:17 PM
gldnedge

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I enjoy this topic and would like to share a Thunderbolt target picture. As mentioned in my earlier comment, my Marlin Model 60 does a fine job with Thunderbolts - fine enough for me, anyhow.

About a year ago, I took my Model 60 (wearing a cheap 3-9 scope), and at least a half dozen different brands of ammo to the range. The goal was to find something that grouped better than Thunderbolt, and my unscientific experiment would be based on 10-shot groups.

Long story short, the "Thunderturds" held their own against the likes of CCI SV, MiniMags, Federal AM, American Eagle, and a few other popular offerings. The pictured group isn't impressive my any means, but it was the best of the 50 yard test group, and as good as I could do resting on my range bag.

On the flip, I could show you shotgun patterns at 50 yards with the same box Thunderbolts in my 10/22 Takedown. But I digress.

Moral of the story: Experiment with rimfire ammo - Ya never know what you might discover.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:48 PM
bear1998
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Took notice Walmart in my area has Golden Bullets in a 225 bulk box for 11.17. The box says (new and improved). Most people that gave reviews stated that they would never use Rem. Golden again until that's all they could get for reasonable price. Most everyone was surprised how they had no FTF or FTE and admitted how much they liked them.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:22 PM
armtx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Rem nylon 66 shoots GB'S remarkably well. 1" at 50 yards and out of 500, I might get 15-20 duds.

Different strokes I guess, if you can get your hands on some, on a regular basis, might be worth the time to see if it shoots well through your systems.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Dlister70

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Both Thunderbolts and Golden function nearly flawlessly in my M&P 22, which has a tendency to choke on Federal bulk about 3 rounds out of 100 by failing to feed. The Remington stuff never does that in my M&P.. They all feed, and they all go bang.

In my Ruger Mark III Target, both Remington brands functioned well, but I have had a couple Golden get stuck while feeding. The hollow point caught on the feed ramp and dented it. This has happened a few times out of maybe 600 rounds fired through that gun. The Federal bulk has been flawless in this gun.

Different guns like different ammo.

Also, Thunderbolt leads the hell out of my barrel though even after just 75 rounds I will be key holing a target. I won't shoot it alone anymore. If I alternate mags of Thunderbolt, and mags of Golden, it doesn't seem to lead up badly at all.

As with all .22 advice, it just boils down to shooting everything and finding what your gun likes.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:03 PM
ankrklankr
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Boy View Post
Are GB's any better than Thunderbolts? Also - are Cyclones just a hollow point Thunderbolt?

Thanks!
Marginally.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:24 AM
natebelle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For high volume shooting I tried the current production Thunderbolts in 2 Buckmark pistols and had severe leading issues . Theses pistols have never had any leading problems with any other ammo in the past . I recently shot about 200 rounds of Golden Bullets thru 1 of them with no issues at all other than being a little on the dirty side . A definite difference in the 2 ammos in my pistols as I had been warned by fellow shooters . The Thunderbolts were from 2 different lots so I cant say it was just a bad run . I don't think there is any lube at all on the Thunderbolts .
Old 12-23-2014, 01:52 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No major issues with the current Golden Bullets. I think they have gotten better. I still like Federal bulk better. More consistent and cleaner.

Thunderbolts? I will never buy another box unless I absoluely have to have ammo and there is nothing else.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:11 PM
Fotheringill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OP-

There is no answer. You are asking for a comparison of turd v. different turd.

"...Thunderbolts? I will never buy another box unless I absoluely have to have ammo and there is nothing else...."

AND- only if my family is starving to death and I need to kill very large, very slow rodents at no more than 25 yards for food.