Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:03 PM
BigTexasOne

Lantana, TX. A suburb of the DFW metromess
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22lr ammo comparison

I took my Ruger 10/22 International, with a Simmons 3-9 x 32 scope, and a Ruger BX trigger to the range along with a variety of different ammunitions. I shot 4 groups of 5 shots at 25 yards, indoor, with the rifle supported at the front one of the range's bench rest, and the butt stock supported by my hand, no fancy expensive bench for me.

This is the best group by all 7 different ammos

First is CCI Sub Sonic. I had some, so it was including

Next was Federal, target grade, White Box, 325 rds bulk pack

Third was Winchester 36gr, 1280fps, bulk in the 222 rds pack

Fourth was Federal Champion in the Blue box

Fifth was Blazer, I got on sale for only $2.49 a box

Then on to the Eley, first was Edge, the black bullets, a little pricey at $10.99/box

it was good enough that I actually shot 6 groups of 5 with it, this is the worst,

And, last, but clearly most expensive, was Eley Match at $18.99/25 rd box. Again, it was very good, so I shot 6 groups, this is the worst

and the best
Old 06-16-2017, 04:18 PM
BigTexasOne

Lantana, TX. A suburb of the DFW metromess
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So, what's my conclusion. I was surprised by the quality of ALL of the different brands, but the Fed blue box gave me 3 fte out of 10 rounds, and none of the others had any issues. So, I rate it #7

#6 was the CCI Sub sonic. I wouldn't have normally even included it, but I had a box. It just wasn't as consistent.

#5 Winchester 222 bulk pack. I just couldn't get any tighter.

#4 Fed White box bulk. This stuff just flat works, especially when you factor in the price, I paid $16.42 at Wally World for a box of 325. It's never been rejected by any of my 7 different 22's and it.s very consistent.

#3 Clearly the most expensive in the group, I was disappointed by the Eley Match, maybe because I was expecting it to be better than all of them, and it just wasn't.

#2. Clearly the Blazer was a surprise. As the least expensive, I was not expecting this accuracy and consistency. I recently shot a pistol competition with it at 7, 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards, off hand, 10 rounds at each distance and only dropped three rounds outside the 8" bull ring. Scored 485 out of 500, using my Ruger Mark IV Target, no optics. I will buy this again, and again, and again.....

#1 Eley Edge. the Black Bullets. The cases have a matte-black oxidized coating to , um, uhh, I'll just let Eley explain, "This advanced, contemporary cartridge is instantly recognizable by its matt-black oxidized finish. Scientifically developed to microscopically increase the friction between the case and the projectile, the resulting stabilized projectile release force delivers greater internal ballistic consistency ultimately providing the shooter with more consistent projectile flight."

Whatever, it's is extremely consistent, accurate, and on sale for $10.99 a box, not outside the price range of reasonable people. I'll not be plinking with it, but when competition calls, like tonight, Eley Edge is what I'll be shooting.

Last edited by BigTexasOne; 06-16-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:31 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
It's a little hard to judge how good different ammo shoots when shooting from 25 yards. I realize you were indoors and that was the max distance but at 50 yards your results would probably be a lot different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2017, 07:03 PM
Calamity Sue's Husband

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
It's a little hard to judge how good different ammo shoots when shooting from 25 yards. I realize you were indoors and that was the max distance but at 50 yards your results would probably be a lot different.
Out of a rifle, you got that right.

When I'm judging the accuracy of my "plinking" ammo, or any ammo for that matter, 75 yards is what I use. When I want to "show off", I'll grab my CZ 452 and come down to 50 yards, or I'll use the 452 at 100 yards and something like Center X.

My rugers, all 6 of them, have 2# or less triggers, most are on bipodes, and are an absolute blast to shot at 50 or 75 yards, with any ammo, including the Golden Bullets. Never have a problem with FTF or FTE, as I keep my firearms cleaned and use only Kidd components.