Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:15 PM
wingspar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington Thunderbolts

What do people think of the Remington Thunderboltís? Isnít this the ammo that sells in buckets of 1400 rounds once in a while?

I thought I would pick up a bucket if I could ever find one in stock, but the other day I was able to pick up a couple of boxes of 50 from the LGS. I put a box thru my 10/22 yesterday (probably the first time Iíve shot a .22 in a year) and was really disappointed. Most of the rounds were really weak. Once in a while I would get a round that sounded like a high powered .22, but most barely pooted out of the barrel sounding more like a short with a lot less recoil than some. Got one dud, but it went off when I put it back in the gun.

Is this typical of the Thunderboltís? If so, I will pass on that bucket.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:34 PM
1022addict
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

The bucket are the Golden bullets they have a plated bullet. Not the best around but better than the Thunderbolt
The thunderbolts are known for leading up a barrel

These images were pulled from the web. None of them are actually mine.
Thank goodness

I have shot the "new and improved" golden bullets. Not the best but no failures. They are very dirty.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:41 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
thunderbolts

friends do NOT let friends shoot thunderbolts in ANY of their guns! golden bullets are a lot better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 02:42 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
***???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1022addict View Post

The bucket are the Golden bullets they have a plated bullet. Not the best around but better than the Thunderbolt
The thunderbolts are known for leading up a barrel

These images were pulled from the web. None of them are actually mine.
Thank goodness
now that is a leading problem! bet they NEVER shot thunder turds again!
I have shot the "new and improved" golden bullets. Not the best but no failures. They are very dirty.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:46 PM
1911nut
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Advantage Arms 22 conversion barrel looked a lot like that after shooting Thunderbolts.

That ammo gave me the opportunity to learn how to clean severe, no, unbelievably severe leading out of a barrel.

I threw a few hundred unfired rounds into the sagebrush, I wish I had saved them, I could have pulled the bullets and made fishing sinkers.

I know I've shot more than 100,000 rounds of rimfire ammo from just about every manufacturer in more than 20 different guns and never experienced anything like Thunderbolts.

I wish they weren't made in America.

To be fair and balanced, we'll soon hear from the folks who love Thunderbolts.

It's always a good day to see another Thunderbolt thread.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:22 PM
The Hen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have no problems with the Golden Bullets, it is my cheap go to ammo since I have no luck finding Blazers lately. Tried a brick of Thunderbolts and it disappointed me and leaded 2 barrels. 6 months later I bought another brick to try and was well pleased with results. In comparing the two the bad batch has a lighter color to the bullet and not as thick shiney wax. just my 2 cents
Old 02-02-2014, 04:06 PM
wingspar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I should have looked before I posted. Remington Golden Boys is what comes in the bucket. Maybe Iíll still go ahead and get a bucket if I can ever find any. I got caught with my pants down last year cause .22 ammo has always been so available and cheap. I never saw this .22 ammo shortage coming. I think yesterday was the first time Iíve shot any .22 in a year. Iím just holding on to what little .22 ammo I have.

I just looked at the muzzle of my 10/22, and it looks ok. Been a while since itís been cleaned. Think next time I head to the range, Iíll take the 10/22 and just use this junk up. Glad he only let me have two boxes. Some of the stuff sounded like high powered high velocity stuff, but most sounded like shorts. Oh, and I photograph everything, so here is a photo of the junk.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:27 PM
VNBing

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to VNBing
I can't say anthing bad about the newer Tbolts cause I don't shoot them. However, the older Tbolts had a tendency to mask horizontal groups due to wind or shooting errors. The differences in velocity between rounds tended to make groups string vertically.

Maybe with some priming improvement, consistant powder charges and a harder lead bullet held in with a consistant crip the newer Rem Tbolts will be shootable again.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:07 PM
ChukGA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had a box of thunderbolts on myshelf for almost a year now... it has survived being my last 22lr ammo for a reason... and it aint a compliment ... my barrel got leaded shooting under 300 rnds at once..... started getting flyers and keyholes(tumblers) ... scared the crap outta me that I might have ruined a barrel... I didn't but still scared me all the same
Old 02-02-2014, 05:21 PM
gooffeyguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I believe I had an old grey 500rnd bucket of them that I used up a few months back. They were truncated cone though and not round nose. I had no problems with them in my old Marlin Glenfield 60, old Browning Micro Buckmark, and new Ruger SR22. I did have problems with them in my Mossberg 715t, but that rifle had problems with any ammo I used.

This grey bucket I had was probably bought 10 years ago...lol
Old 02-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Rimfire-Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, this is disappointing... I just bought a 500 pack of these, as they are the only thing I could find in stock in my area. :-(
Old 02-02-2014, 07:22 PM
dmdaley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shoot the new Thunder Bolts you just may be surprises. In the last year I have gone through 5-6 bricks without a problem. These are New Thunderbolts as they are just about the only new ammo that I have been able to find. My Smith Wesson MP 22 pistol likes the New Thunderbolts better than any other 22 shell I have tried. So give them a try before you decide they do not work for you.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:34 PM
Road_Clam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfire-Guy View Post
Well, this is disappointing... I just bought a 500 pack of these, as they are the only thing I could find in stock in my area. :-(
No worries. I also bought 3 bricks online of TBolts , and got screwed as well paying $70/brick . I've shot about 500 rounds and had about 4 ftf's , no big deal the only issue I see is the TBolts seem to have a dull muzzle flash report as compared to other brands. Had a shooter next to me at my local range and he was shooting CCI's and they were definitely louder than my TBolts.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Rimfire-Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam View Post
No worries. I also bought 3 bricks online of TBolts , and got screwed as well paying $70/brick . I've shot about 500 rounds and had about 4 ftf's , no big deal the only issue I see is the TBolts seem to have a dull muzzle flash report as compared to other brands. Had a shooter next to me at my local range and he was shooting CCI's and they were definitely louder than my TBolts.
You don't see any of the excessive lead fouling after 500 rounds like mentioned above?

I paid $60 for my 500 pack from a local gun shop. Looking at prices online, I thought that was pretty fair considering what .22 is going for right now. I've only seen it cheaper at wal-mart...and you can't get it there right now lol.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Jozimoto

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I just bought a brick of T-bolts from one of the large outdoor retailers for $21.95 plus $5.99 shipping. I hope my guns will shoot it without problems>