Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Hunter2011

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
NAA Super Companion

Do anyone own one? Did you do any chrony testing? I don't know why but this little pistol looks like a nice starter for black powder shooting
Old 10-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Skeeve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter2011 View Post
Do anyone own one? Did you do any chrony testing? I don't know why but this little pistol looks like a nice starter for black powder shooting
Don't own one. Wouldn't be that great a starter for BP for the simple reason that you're locked in to a single source for the unusual .22cal slugs this thing uses. It would be neat if you could get the bullets cheaply, but they're not price competitive with much of anything, since nobody else much uses them. Try finding #T buckshot [iirc, that's the equivalent to a .22 round ball] anywhere near you: seems nobody much reloads their own shotgun shells anymore, so nobody stocks supplies for it: you're stuck w/ ordering over the 'net & paying $hipping fee$ to move small quantities of lead around...

If you want to get started in BP, buy an 1858 Remington repop & supplies are available from any number of sources.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:58 AM
Hunter2011

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good advice.
But I would still like to know more about it
Like real life chrony tests etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Skeeve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Good advice.
From memory of old threads on the topic, the "22magnum" version of the Companion achieves ~ 22lr power levels [remember, you've only got a 30gr ball]; the standard version is ~ 22short power.

While they certainly have some novelty appeal, for the money spent I'd think I'd rather see if I can pick up a repop in .36 or .44 caliber BP, as mentioned above. Altho' I would really love a 22mag Sidewinder if I were to stumble upon one!
Old 10-31-2013, 11:16 PM
arcticap
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (60)
Quote:
Good advice.
On the www.thehighroad,org black powder sub-forum, there have been a number of threads about the NAA BP revolvers. Some of the owners there have fired them extensively loaded with Bullseye smokeless powder to increase their velocity.
At one time, NAA advertised them as safe to be loaded with Bullseye smokeless powder until the BATF warned them that if they didn't stop advertising it that they would stop classifying them as antique reproductions and start regulating them like center fire pistols.
If the Bullseye powder charge is measured properly, then it's safe to use in those C&B pistols.
You may need to do several advanced searches looking specifically within the THR black powder forum section, using a couple of different terms including the name of the gun, and then the maker, plus try an advanced search for "Bullseye" powder until you find the threads.
One fellow from THR named busyhands94 made a youtube video where he mentions loading 1.5 - 2 grains of Bullseye in a Super Companion in the video description. I think that it comes close to magnum pistol velocity or ~1200 fps.
And he also made another video showing a homemade .22LR cartridge converter for his gun. I think that these guys recommend loading 1 grain of Bullseye in their regular Companion revolvers. I believe that they use a small Lee powder scoop to measure the Bullseye powder, but check the threads to be sure and ask on that forum if you need help. The Bullseye powder makes it perform better and easier to clean.
If I post the video links then you can't see the description about the amount of powder so I will copy and paste it here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyhands94
I figured I should make a video on how to do this, first time I cleaned it after shooting smokeless I was a little confused. I do like shooting smokeless powder with that little pistol, it is a cap and ball but it was originally designed to use smokeless powder. My smokeless load ranges from 1.5 to about 2 grains of smokeless powder. It is pretty clean burning stuff, the only problem is that the caps are kinda filthy.

Last edited by arcticap; 11-02-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Hunter2011

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks a lot