Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:22 PM
AK
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Challenger

I have the chance to pick up a short barrel Challenger made in 1966. I would give it a 80% condition grade but the kicker is that it's missing the slide hold open. Everything else is good and it has the Browning stamped magazine.

What would be a good price for this slick little pistol considering it's missing the slide hold open?

I have looked at Gunbroker but want the valued opinions here at RFC.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:49 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (126)
Do you have Chim's webpages link? Great information in there.

http://chim.embarqspace.com/#
Old 08-12-2013, 01:37 AM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My first thought would be to check the S/N to determine whether it is really a Challenger.

Nomads didn't have a slide stop (or even the provisions for one). I have seen pistols represented as Challengers that were, in fact, Nomads - or Challengers represented as Medalists. Since grips and barrels are very easily interchanged you need to see the S/N to determine what the pistol was when it left Fabrique Nationale's factory.

Browning included a letter in the S/N that designated the frame. Browning's website indicates that U=Challenger, P=Nomad and T=Medalist. Although the Browning site doesn't mention it, I have some International Medalists and they use an "I" in the S/N. The only exception I recall is they used some Challenger frames to make a few Medalists. I believe M2HB has one that they added an "S" suffix to the S/N at the factory so people wouldn't think someone cobbled a Medalist using a Challenger frame.

He, seaotter and a couple others really know their way around the older Brownings and can help out. Do you have the last few digits of the S/N or a good picture or two?

Buck Mark Disassembly/Reassembly Page here:

http://chim.embarqspace.com/#

Last edited by chim; 08-12-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 07:52 AM
AK

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Last three digits are 8U6, after researching that's why I am thinking it's a Challenger. It has the gold trigger also.

I went to look at it and noticed it had a notch in the grip so I looked at pics of other challengers and saw it's missing the slide hold open. I don't have the chance to pull the grips off to see if the hold open spring is there either.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:31 AM
ghgs

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Another way to confirm it is not a Nomad, is to look at the rear of the gun as while shooting.
There should be a adjustment screw located about midway between your hand and the rear sight on the rear of the gun. The Nomads did not have this.
Hard to put a value on it without seeing it, and that part may be hard to find. You may want to check the prices they are selling for on Gun Broker and other auction sites.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
It's a Challenger.
Frankly,I would hesitate or pass.80% isn't saying much for condition.With the missing part/parts? you can't find a comp online for figuring a price.It's not much more than a rough Nomad as it sits,perhaps even less value.
There are two sources for parts.WGP in Canada,and Commemorative Arms in Missouri.CA has that part indicated as POR.That's a red flag for me,as he's not bashful in pricing the other parts.It will probably mean that he has just a very few currently,and the price will be through the roof.

Last edited by Camster; 08-12-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:57 AM
seaotter
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here is one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BROWNING-CHA...0f#ht_87wt_679

I'm not sure it is from a Belgium Challenger or from a C-II or C-III. Either way it may still work. Chim might know if a C-II or C-III hold open latch will work in a Belgium Challenger. Or you might contact the seller to verify what model it is from.

If this one will fit and you get it, I would deduct that cost plus some for the hassle. Also considerable discount for the 80% condition.

SO

Last edited by seaotter; 08-12-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: wrong ebay link - chaged it.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:12 PM
AK

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks guys, it has little blueing wear and the bottom of the grip has some scratches and dings. I found the stuff on ebay but it's all a risk at this point. This handgun is on a local auction sale and still under $300 but not sure I want the hassle of finding parts.

Is the juice worth the squeeze kind of deal.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:10 AM
Mark2506
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Be careful buying the stop open latch on eBay that seaotter found. Upon close inspection the pivot pin is missing and it won't work. Western Gun Parts in Canada has them as I just checked a couple of days ago, but they want $39.95 plus probably $15 shipping. Unless the 80% is really a bargin let it go and get a nice one you will be happy to own. (My advice only) You will/should like the older Challengers.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:17 AM
Mark2506
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Upon closer inspection, I believe seaotter is on a good direction because that latch is not for a 1966 Challenger. I doesn't have the little notch for the wire spring that holds it in either. That one will not work on the pistol in question.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:52 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
If it was in about 90%+ condition and for under $300 with an original mag, I would buy it.
There are plenty of good ones still out there but they are getting more expensive. Some folks must have figured out how good they really are.

I have one Challenger that I shot so much that the finish got down to less than 80%. I had it hard chromed and now, tens of thousands of rounds later, it still looks like new. The problem is hard chrome isn't cheap.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:25 PM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hard chrome done by Ron Mahovsky is priced very low compared to others....I don't think he changed his pricing in over a decade. Just had him do a hard chrome on one of my pistols and a Nickel-Boron finish on another. Both turned out fantastic.

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/

Old 08-14-2013, 11:47 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
That is about the same price I paid for Tripp Research to do mine a few years ago. The price wasn't the bad part, it was the shipping that made it really expensive.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:39 AM
AK

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I didn't buy the pistol, I will keep on searching for a complete pistol.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2506 View Post
Be careful buying the stop open latch on eBay that seaotter found. Upon close inspection the pivot pin is missing and it won't work. Western Gun Parts in Canada has them as I just checked a couple of days ago, but they want $39.95 plus probably $15 shipping. Unless the 80% is really a bargin let it go and get a nice one you will be happy to own. (My advice only) You will/should like the older Challengers.
I bought some small items from them recently,and I think shipping was $10.