Brno ZKM 455 Model 3- Owner's Club/ Reference Material - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:53 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Talking Brno ZKM 455 (S) Model 3- Owner's Club/ Reference Material

Welcome to the Brno ZKM 455 (S) Model 3 Owner's Club and Reference Material page!

I just thought it might be a good idea to have a thread that could compile links to some of the great reference threads on RFC and personal experiences/ photos relating to the Brno ZKM 455 (S) Model 3 target rifle. So over the next couple days I will be adding links to some of the most helpful threads I have come across and probably a few pictures. I know there are fewer than 8000 that were ever produced, but I bet we have a good number of them right here on RFC

Anyone out there with a Model 3 (Stechers more than welcome!):
-check in (give us the year of manufacture, any SVAZARM stampings, first couple serial digits if you like)
-tell us how you have it set up
-share a thought/ tip
* * -post a pic (or 3)* *

Anyone with questions/ comments regarding the Model 3:
-post away, hopefully the members here can help out!

Useful links:

Barrel Tensioner
OKShooter's Barrel tensioner pics
How to "Dial in your Brno target rifle"
Dialing in my Brno ZKM 455
What a difference that tensioner can make!

Trigger
TOU's trigger pics
Post that includes a sneak peak of the ZKM 455S' trigger assembly
Adjusting the the stock Model 1/3 trigger
evolution1974's PMTJ for Model 1/3 actions
Powderfinger's Model 1/3 trigger mod

Sights
Discussion of "clicks"- Remember: barrel length will make a difference!
Brno original inserts available from Denny "brnomann" - AVAILABILITY SUBJECT TO CHANGE
Acrylic insert sets for front globe

History
Vintage Brno ZKM 455 ads
TOU's Brno Model 3 "Lux" and varriation history
SVAZARM explained in brief

Last edited by jmrybak; 01-17-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
So I'll check in first:

Brno ZKM 455 Model 3
-1956 (last year of manufacture), serial 58XX, stamped both SVAZARM 26 (barrel) and 7 (receiver)
-original Brno stock, dark stained beech, waxed with Howard's Feed & Wax
-JnP set me up with custom cut actions screws (didn't want to bugger the originals; THANKS Jim and Pete!)
-both crews set to 19 in/lbs with my Utica torque screwdriver
-JnP striker spring
-Brno STD MATCH sight set with shade tube and shade nut
-using many different front inserts (THANK YOU DENNY!)
-trigger set to a long first stage and a very short clean breaking second stage
-barrel tensioner set to 1 and 3/4 turn backed out from full in

Tip: although the stock may not look it; I have found that it rides the bags very well, is easy to shoot off hand with, and the stock swivels are excellent. Good all around target rifle.

Last edited by jmrybak; 01-15-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Jeff518

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Here's mine;
anno: 1948
ser# 0825
(I recently had two early m3's , but had to let the dark one go)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Low Key
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
My Mod. 3 came from Denny and is identical to jmrybak's. The post for adjusting the trigger was helpful. I've found that shooting it regularly improved the trigger (probably overcame the effects of long term storage.) Similar target.

Chuck

Last edited by Low Key; 11-12-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:59 PM
pawn
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
I also purchased a new in box Model 3 from Denny. SVAZARM 26 marked. Will never willing part with it.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:31 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks for joining in all! Low Key and pawn, you mind sharing the year of proofing or any additional details/ experiences?

Jeff, any thoughts on your earlier examples? Very cool by the way, I remember almost buying that second example myself...
Old 01-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Jeff518

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
My '48 model 3 has the nipple muzzle (mimicked on modern CZ's)

The later gun (maybe 1950? ser# 157?) had a squared off crown that still looked factory, like some model 4's I've seen.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Jeff518

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
mine seems to shoot pretty well with Eley match EPS (black box)
Old 01-15-2012, 05:31 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Nice additions Jeff! My late Model 3 is like your later example. And it also seems to love Eley Target. Never shot anything pricier...

I believe only 100-150 of the earliest Model 3 came with the checkered walnut stocks and nipple crown. And believe it or not, Paul and Ken each have one... What a place, RFC
Old 01-15-2012, 05:50 PM
OldSwede
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (94)
BRNO #3S Stecher
S/N 5362
Circa 1955
Custom Claro stock by Claude Gatewood
Bedded by Claude Gatewood
Jewelled bolt by Claude Gatewood
Custom barrel tensioner by Claude Gatewood
BRNO "Olympic" sights from Z. Jakubec (Denny)

I also have the original stock, for those who think that I have butchered a survivor.

Last edited by OldSwede; 09-29-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:04 PM
OKShooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
OldSwede,
I would let you adopt me for no other reason than that rifle. I'm in love with that thing, and I've never even touched it. Very nicely done.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKShooter View Post
OldSwede,
I would let you adopt me for no other reason than that rifle. I'm in love with that thing, and I've never even touched it. Very nicely done.
What he said!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:15 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
You old show off.......
Old 01-16-2012, 03:54 PM
35WCF
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nipple crowns and Walnut

Hi Guys
This will be an interesting thread, I hope we can glean some good data, my favourite variation of the model 3 are the early sub serial 1000 examples as mentioned by jmrybak:

Quote:
I believe only 100-150 of the earliest Model 3 came with the checkered walnut stocks and nipple crown. And believe it or not, Paul and Ken each have one... What a place, RFC
I can update that info somewhat, the nipple crown I have noted on weapons up to 1000, exclusively, meaning they all had it, the beautiful checkered walnut stocks up to about 1600, though with the odd beech in amongst them, this variation of the nipple crown and Walnut stock is the one that I personally rate as the most collectable, I wrote in another post a phrase something like “these were the rifles that the smallbore competition shooters around the world were using in the very late 40’s and early fifties and the workmanship in them must have gone a long way to cementing Brno’s enviable reputation for quality and accuracy.” This I still hold to be true.
Paul has got not one but two, most of you have probably seen pictures of 0093 that I have posted but here you go again (can’t see to many Brno’s), here with its action twin, a nice model 1 for company;

The other I own is at the other end of the serial number range;

Shown as I procured it, have not had a chance to play with this one as yet, serial # 0904 and proofed 49
Jeff518 you mention a 48 proof on your rifle, my 0094 is proofed 49 and as it precedes yours by several hundred I wonder if you could check that for me, I have seen a couple advertised as 48 which have been 49, the reason being the placement of the proof mark on the centreline of the receiver as seen here. They do always end up being 49, I have not verified a 1948 proofing yet.

Distribution of these is by virtue of the popularity of indoor smallbore in the fifties and the popularity of Brno around the world at the time, across the globe., I know of at least a dozen of them, 3 in Australia (all sold over the last 18 months at well north of a grand), a couple in England, one each in Canada and New Zealand and surprisingly 5 in the US, so despite the fact that there were trade embargos against imports to the US from Czechoslovakia during Brno’s heyday you guys in the States have as much chance as anyone of coming across one. Of course the look of the rifle adds a lot to the rifles longevity, it just screams “I’m a collectable” and I dare say that is where most of them are, somebodies pride and joy in the gun-safe but hardly ever getting out to see the light of day. If anybody is sitting on one of these I would love to know about it, either through the forum or via email at [email protected]
The other model three I own is quite boring compared with these two, a 1956 proofed rifle serial number 6789, rather beaten up in both the barrel and stock dept. but interesting in that it appears to be a new in New Zealand rifle that has done time on the club circuit, and finally been relegated to being a Womens/childs club rifle, with the stock L.O.P being cut back :-(, it bears no Svazarm markings and retains the original bright blue finish.

Cheers and good luck with the collecting
Paul

Last edited by 35WCF; 01-16-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: walnut from 1500 estimated to 1600 estimated
Old 01-16-2012, 05:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Paul- Thanks for the correction and elaboration! Great photos too.

Quick poll: How many digits of the serial is on everyone's bolt handle?