RWS High Velocity Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Hollow Point - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:24 PM
RayCZ

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
RWS High Velocity Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Hollow Point

Anyone use these? EXPENSIVE HP HV ammo. I read some reviews on Midway - either most accurate ammo ever vs. worst ever. Seems like a good
long range squirrel round, but for the cost hate to buy if they are any less than match ammo accurate.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Rugerem
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Would like to see some results on these myself. My CZ UL likes HV's but for the $ I'd like hear some +'s!
Old 05-21-2011, 01:27 PM
LongPlay

Toledo Bend, Deep East Texas - temporarily in either India or Philippines
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
From the reviews, the two claiming bad accuracy are shooting target or long barreled rifles known for better than average accuracy performance. One of the others saying great accuracy is shooting it from a pistol. The other claiming great accuracy is shooting at 40yds.

I would like to see quite a bit more data before jumping on ammo that is at the price point of Eley Match ammo. I KNOW 1050f/s Eley black box drill tiny little holes , not so sure about the RWS stuff yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 05:13 PM
RayCZ

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Right, I found the lack of responses to be suspicious.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:03 PM
D. Manley
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCZ View Post
Right, I found the lack of responses to be suspicious.
I think you could expect better accuracy from the RWS HVHP (or, the SK HVLP, for that matter) than *most* of the more popular priced HP ammo in *most* guns. Neither will equal match ammo though nor, could it be expected to. The higher quality manufacturing is visually evident and for "minute-of-squirrel's head", to 50 yards, it should do fine. I personally shoot subsonics almost exclusively but both those I mentioned do group pretty well in my Kidd barrels. Why not just test a box or so? If it's HV you're after, IMO the SK is worth a look too.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:53 PM
RayCZ

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yes, I discovered SK HV HPs a couple of months back, and after the first shooting session ordered a brick. It is the most accurate HV HP I have ever used - period, which is what sparked my interest in the RWS.

May get a box just to try but then again for that price......
Old 05-21-2011, 07:37 PM
D. Manley
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Yes, I discovered SK HV HPs a couple of months back, and after the first shooting session ordered a brick. It is the most accurate HV HP I have ever used - period, which is what sparked my interest in the RWS.

May get a box just to try but then again for that price......
I personally prefer the SK to the RWS myself thus, injecting it into the post. Never hurts to try something new though, so who knows, the RWS may shoot better for you.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Gary C
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The only reason I use HV ammo, at least of match quality, is when I shoot silhouette. I use it for the 150 and 200 yard targets. For that, I'm using Fiocchi Biathlon, which I've been relatively happy with (save one freakin' Ram today!)

Other than hunting and long range silhouette, why would you use it? I don't see a reason to use this expensive ammo for hunting. There is a lot less expensive stuff that out to 100 yards is probably just as accurate.

Gary
Old 05-21-2011, 10:37 PM
RayCZ

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Subsonic ammo has different points of impact at 20, 35 and 50 yards. The SK HV HP is dead on at 25 and 50 yards, no hold over, no scope adjustment. It really is a round to use for that 20 yard squirrel shot, irrespective if the next shot is at say 60 yards. Subsonic works well if all your shots are at relatively close range in my experience. It is also quite.

If all you do is put up a target and leave it a set distance, then yes, subsonic tends to be more accurate.

I use both to squirrel hunt, and I have to anticipate shots anywhere between 15 and 50 yards. With subsonic, I put up 3 targets at say 20, 35 and 45 yards, and try to strike a compromise by adjusting my scope within those distances. I guess a 30 yard zero is the best compromise, but then I will not be spot on at 20 or 50.

No compromises with the SK HV.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Gary C

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Okay, I can understand that answer. I guess the other question becomes out to 60-70 yards, are you going to see that much difference in accuracy between a $7 box of ammo, a $12 box of ammo, or a $4 box of ammo? I don't know.

Gary
Old 05-21-2011, 11:10 PM
RayCZ

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That's right, but as I implied in my original post I'm wondering why it's so expensive. Match accuracy??? Or maybe not any better than the cheaper stuff??
Old 05-22-2011, 01:55 PM
al redneck

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use the rws hv 40 gr solid out of my High Standard and it shoots a lot better than several other rounds I tried . Still subsonic ( around 1060 f/s out of 5.5 LPS match barrel if I remember correctly ) . Haven't tried the hp 40 gr but I would expect results to be similar .

david
Old 05-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Gary C

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
That's right, but as I implied in my original post I'm wondering why it's so expensive. Match accuracy??? Or maybe not any better than the cheaper stuff??
Maybe not, Ray. As I said, for silhouette at 150 and 200 yards, I use the Fiocchi Biathlon, and I THINK I get a more consistent shot than I do with American made HV stuff. I suspect that you might get the same consistency, or at least are supposed to get the same consistency, with the RWS. The two reviews of the longer guns, however, seem to refute that.

I guess the only real way to tell is to buy a box, put it on the bench with some SK HV, some American Eagle, and some Mini Mags and see all what shoots what in your rifle.

Gary
Old 06-11-2011, 12:45 PM
RayCZ

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
I guess the only real way to tell is to buy a box, put it on the bench with some SK HV, some American Eagle, and some Mini Mags and see all what shoots what in your rifle. Gary
I did indeed get a box of the RWS HV HPS, and tested it this morning against SK HV HPs and American Eagle HPs. Riflw was Sako Quad. The conclusion on the RWS is that it is accurate, but not to the extreme as expected at that price. Both the SK and American Eagle outshot it at both 25 and 50 yards. The SK had the best groups at 25 yards, but astonishingly, the American Eagle 38 grain HPs grouped the best at 50 yards, easily offering sub-moa accuracy. One group was in the .2s. At $20/brick for the AE, I think the choice is clear.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Subsonic ammo has different points of impact at 20, 35 and 50 yards. The SK HV HP is dead on at 25 and 50 yards, no hold over, no scope adjustment. It really is a round to use for that 20 yard squirrel shot, irrespective if the next shot is at say 60 yards. Subsonic works well if all your shots are at relatively close range in my experience. It is also quite.

If all you do is put up a target and leave it a set distance, then yes, subsonic tends to be more accurate.

I use both to squirrel hunt, and I have to anticipate shots anywhere between 15 and 50 yards. With subsonic, I put up 3 targets at say 20, 35 and 45 yards, and try to strike a compromise by adjusting my scope within those distances. I guess a 30 yard zero is the best compromise, but then I will not be spot on at 20 or 50.

No compromises with the SK HV.
"The SK HV HP is dead on at 25 and 50 yards, no hold over, no scope adjustment."
Huh ? Are you saying same POI of same POA at 25 & 50 ? Are you zeroed in for 40 or something ?