Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:23 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs down Mini 14 Madness

Well, I fell off the deep end. I did it... I bought a "New" Mini 14 after reading all the positive hype about the guns being much better than the old ones and now capable of grouping all shots inside 4 inches or less at 100 yards..... Well, that might be on the perfect day, with the perfect ammo from a cold barrel with a high powered optic and a rock solid machine rest I tried my mini out for the first time last week. Not wanting to rant about it I thought I would give it a few more trips to see if it would settle down. Long answer short, accuracy of the 581 series "heavy barrel" mini 14s suck! I keep getting fliers 10 or more inches from the "group" that often runs over five inches. I've tried both open sights and 4x scope with little difference in observed accuracy. This thing will probably hit a man sized target from 100 yards every time, but you'd be just as likely to hit the throat or the balls when aiming at the heart past 50! Reliability of the mini is excellent, but the lack of practical accuracy leaves me wondering what good is a "ranch rifle" that can't reliably hit a squirrel at 50 or a coyote at 100.... I think my mini 14 needs a medic ASAP cause a few more trips like the one today and it might just get used as an expensive piece of rebar
Old 01-22-2011, 10:42 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (67)
They are what they are...

I still have one and minute of pie plate is the norm at 100 yards... but I love the garand type action and hey... it's the A-Team gun for Pete's sake...

Probably why they never killed anyone on the show... took out some jeeps though.

Last edited by JEE; 01-22-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jee View Post
probably why they never killed anyone on the show... Took out some jeeps though. :d
Hah!
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 11:06 PM
nemohunter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
95% (77)
i was going to point out that very thing. after they ran out of ammo they ended up in a fist fight with every bad guy.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:23 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bought mine before the net and I had no idea of the accuracy lag. For practice during a long winter I taper bore lapped it, 3 doses of MolyFusion, trigger adjusted, and recrowned. Didn't do much good. It will average 33/4" MOA benched. Black Hills Gold Match 68 grn. shrunk the fliers a tad and that was all.
This product is supposed to cut groups by stiffening the noodle barrel. It appears they have some in stock again, just checked, and I'm getting one. http://www.accu-strut.com/index.htm I was contemplating wrapping the visible barrel in carbon fiber until it plumped up to 1" dia.
For coyotes, a friend, , mixes tracers every other round in 20 rd mags.
See if they will take yours back. You don't have much to lose and a lot to gain.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:26 AM
GundaGuy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What twist rate does the rifling have?
What projectile weight are you using?

Re-torque the gas block screws to between 32 and 36 INCH pounds (NOT foot pounds) and also use some automotive feeler gauges/spark plug gap gauges to get the gap either side and front to back even.
Ruger just seems to slap them together.

You can also make sure the gas block is not binding on the stock or the stock reinforcement insert/liner, there will be a little play in the gas blocks position when you do the above re-torque and gap adjustment, don't worry you won't be able to move it too far as the gas port bushing will prevent that.

Contact Gundoc and get a trigger job done to reduce it from 6lb+ down to around 3lb as well as smooth it out a bit as they can be a bit gritty.

When it has been fired is there a nice even star pattern on the muzzle from the powder residues?
If not the crown may need a touch up.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:48 AM
Brithunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry but cannot recall the company but there was one who blueprinted these rifle so make them shoot properly. Someone must know of them. I even saw their advertising video on the web some years back.

They sell manually operated straight pull versions here and the grouping of those is very poor too. So poor from the ones I have seen I considered it a waste of ammunition.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:07 AM
grizz420

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pop over to http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/mini-14-accurizing/ .Its a whole site dedicated to the mini and getting them to shoot decently.

Keep in mind the mini isnt known for accuracy but dependability.I have an old one and 3MOA is about all I have come to expect from it.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:25 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Or better yet send it back to Ruger demanding they match their HYPE.......yeah right. I carried one in the trunk of my patrol car for years, it worked and was intimidating to look at, good thing. LOL.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Sorry, biting my tongue here but just can't hold back....

So, it sounds like the typical Ruger deal. Buy a $$$ gun because __________ then spend $$$ getting it to act like you wanted/expected it to. You know that if someone told you up front the total cost of the gun would be $$$ + $$$ you would say it was too expensive and walk away, eh?

I don't know how Ruger gets away with it but they must be doing something right -- guys keep buying them then throwing more money at them.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:02 AM
grizz420

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Sorry, biting my tongue here but just can't hold back....

So, it sounds like the typical Ruger deal. Buy a $$$ gun because __________ then spend $$$ getting it to act like you wanted/expected it to. You know that if someone told you up front the total cost of the gun would be $$$ + $$$ you would say it was too expensive and walk away, eh?

I don't know how Ruger gets away with it but they must be doing something right -- guys keep buying them then throwing more money at them.
No competition ,no other manufacturer has anything to compete with the Mini 14,closest is an AR and they look differant enough to cut the mini its own little niche.

Buying a mini14 and expecting anything other that it to go bang every time you pull the trigger just means you didnt do your home work.Not really rugers fault, I have never seen it printed anywhere that Mini's are sub MOA rifles.Just depenable go bang every time rifles.The Mini 14 target model is no more a target rifle than the SR22 is tactical LOL its all advertising and it does sell guns.

Here is what ruger says for the mini target when you click features ,cut and pasted from http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14.../features.html SIMPLE, RUGGED GARAND STYLE ACTION with breechbolt locking system, a fixed-piston gas system and
self-cleaning moving gas cylinder gives unparalleled reliability under harsh operating conditions.

Honost question does ruger claim MOA or any accuracy claim for the mini?

Im not being a smart butt, just honostly asking.

to the OP I would call ruger and ask what is normal or excepted groups for the target model and see what they have to say.Its my opinion it should do better than what you described being my older skinney barreled mini will do 3 moa easy I would expect slightly better from a heavy barreld mini.Maybe send it back and they can help it but keep in mind its never gonna be a 1 hole group at 100 yards kinda rifle ,unless you only shoot once ;-)

Heres Rugers CS#Telephone: 603-865-2442 / Fax: 603-863-6165
(Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm EST)

Grizz

Last edited by grizz420; 01-23-2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: add phone#
Old 01-23-2011, 08:09 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz420 View Post
Honost question does ruger claim MOA or any accuracy claim for the mini?
'tis a good question. I'll bet they make no claim that can be measured, but I do seem to recall the new one is advertised as having changes designed to improve accuracy.

I guess the meat of it is that today's guns, a great many of them anyway, are pretty darn accurate right out of the box and set an implicit standard. When Tikka, Weatherby, et al, bolt guns and even some ARs (such as RRA) come with 1 MOA and 1.5 MOA guarantees it would be easy to expect similar performance from any off-the-shelf rifles, especially one you've paid big $$$ for. As I recall, the last Mini-14 I saw on the rack (WalMart) was somewhere over $600. That's a lot of cash, especially when that much $$$ can get you a decent bolt gun or even a lower tier AR.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:11 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Lookie what we have here, straight off Ruger's website. As I said, nothing that can be measured:

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14/index.html

Quote:
Precision on the Range, at the Ranch, on Patrol or in the Woods. For decades, Ruger® Mini-14® rifles and Mini Thirty® rifles have been the choice for applications ranging from the farm and ranch, to the deep woods, to personal defense. Their short barrels and overall short length make them favorites in any application where maneuverability and ease of handling are priorities. With a variety of configurations from the standard Ranch Rifle, to the extremely accurate Mini-14® Target Rifle, to the Tactical models with ATI folding stock or compact barrel with flash suppressor - there is a Mini-14 or Mini Thirty to meet any demand. Specifically designed for mounting today's scopes or other optical sighting systems, these rifles include a side ejection to clear the top mounted scope, and a patented recoil buffer which protects the scope from damage or shifting the point of impact as the semi-automatic action cycles
Old 01-23-2011, 08:31 AM
grizz420

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
'tis a good question. I'll bet they make no claim that can be measured, but I do seem to recall the new one is advertised as having changes designed to improve accuracy.

I guess the meat of it is that today's guns, a great many of them anyway, are pretty darn accurate right out of the box and set an implicit standard. When Tikka, Weatherby, et al, bolt guns and even some ARs (such as RRA) come with 1 MOA and 1.5 MOA guarantees it would be easy to expect similar performance from any off-the-shelf rifles, especially one you've paid big $$$ for. As I recall, the last Mini-14 I saw on the rack (WalMart) was somewhere over $600. That's a lot of cash, especially when that much $$$ can get you a decent bolt gun or even a lower tier AR.
It appears (as if I didnt allready know) you have done your home work

I also noted your next post where they (Ruger)say extremely accurate
I can only say "one mans garbage is anothers treasure"LOL
Meaning that Rugers extremely accurate isnt what I would call extremely accurate.
Maybe a call would nail them down to what is exceptable and what isnt concerning accuracy
Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 AM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
If you think the Mini 14 is not accurate

Try my Mini 30 with cheep chi com or russkie ammo!

silly me, I got it because my iron sighted AK was not accurate enough.

With good ammo it does tighten up to a foot or two at a hundred!

And I can say that it has never missed a deer at Twenty Yards!

Regards,
Cranky