Model 41 FTE, Stove pipes - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:54 PM
ultramag44
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Model 41 FTE, Stove pipes

I recently got a 5.5 barrel (1967 production) 41. It's in nice shape. I cleaned & oiled it (not that it was real dirty).

It either fails to eject, or the case gets stuck sideways between the slide and the breechface. Very few rounds of SV Wolf ME or RWS rifle match will eject.

I had a fellow watch me shoot it. He said the slide would come part way back, then go forward again. By pulling the slide back by hand, the empty cases slide right out & eject.

I put 5 rounds of Federal HV from the Wally-World party box in thre magazine. The pistol functioned flawlessy! The federal HV was not very accurate though.

It's extremely accurate BTW, w/ the Wolf or RWS all in one raggedy hole @ 20 yards.

Could someone have switched to a heavier recoil spring in the past? Is there a way to tell what spring I have, or what I need?

Thanks in advance, ultramag44

Are different recoil springs available? From who?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:10 PM
stallard
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try some cci sv also, they could have replaced the spring.
You can buy springs from Wolff at www.gunsprings.com
Old 02-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Koga

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had the same problem in the past

Clean the devil out of it , and I don't mean wipe it down. Clean the slide rails, the bore, the receiver everything and lube....then see how it works. it is also possible someone put in a 8 pound wolf spring for HV ammo and that is giving you problems. Order a Wold calibration pack, not a lot of money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2010, 11:17 PM
ultramag44

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koga View Post
Clean the devil out of it , and I don't mean wipe it down. Clean the slide rails, the bore, the receiver everything and lube....then see how it works. it is also possible someone put in a 8 pound wolf spring for HV ammo and that is giving you problems. Order a Wold calibration pack, not a lot of money.
That's what I did. Disassembled, sprayed it with disk brake cleaner. It wasn't very dirty to begin with. Since it functioned flawlessly w/ HV; I suspect a HV spring is in it.

Yes, I'm looking @ the kit on MidwayUSA's site right now. As you say, not alot of $$.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:42 AM
hamden

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
With Wolf and SK ammo, and most other SV, to lesser degree, my 41 will not cycle even with a 6# spring. ( I won't use don't want HV in my target guns) Only CCI SV, T22, and Rem SV work the action well. There are no other hangups. The hammer spring is the culprit. My match ammo is Eley UK. It cycles well but not as dependably as CCI. Back when I had some Fed 900B it worked and shot 1/2" at 50yds.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:54 AM
ultramag44

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koga View Post
Order a Wold calibration pack, not a lot of money.
Spring pac ordered. Thanks guys
Old 02-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
"or RWS rifle match will eject. "
And not in mine either,but it does run flawlessly on CCI standard,which the gun was designed for.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
"or RWS rifle match will eject. "
And not in mine either,but it does run flawlessly on CCI standard,which the gun was designed for.
CCI Standard Velocity is good ammo, no doubt. However, it was not in existence at the time the M41 was designed. You can verify that yourself by doing a little reading on the CCI web site.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:46 PM
smoothy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine never works with Wolf. You can even feel how week the recoil is with it. I am not surprised it does not work
Old 02-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Koga

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 1972 will not work with Wolf 100%, but will with CCI SV , my 1983 one will work with any target standard velocity ammo. The grips on my 1972 feel noticeably smaller than do the ones on my 1983 , I like it much better...both have OEM factory grips.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:48 PM
mikengracie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
CCI Standard Velocity is good ammo, no doubt. However, it was not in existence at the time the M41 was designed. You can verify that yourself by doing a little reading on the CCI web site.
Yea but its what they use now. You can call and verify that too. Oh sometimes they use Green Tag.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Topos

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 1965 M41 with same problem in 1965

On another site I posted my experience with M41 that I bought in 1965 from dealer who had it returned from first buyer after a month. First firing gave similar problems. Under loop all looked perfect. Tested, disassembled, chamber and found 'firm' inserstion/removal'. Experience gleaned from working through college, 1955 -1960- at their machine shop from WW 1 machinists (before NCR ) I took used .22 casing, drilled hole and inserted long machine screw and locked in place with ss nut. Used their technique of 'ultra polishing' with jeweler's rouge and toothpaste ... I have been using Ultrabrite for all, including lucite watch faces. With a low speed hand drill I ran 'polisher' in and out ( as one would do when working on auto cylinder ) in short stints, cleaning, retrying shell insertion, and repeat. " You can always take more away but cannot put back - WW 1 veteran machinest"

Patience paid off. I got surface to where shells slid in smoothly and extracted effortlessly. As I pointed out on other post in the intervening years I have shot all brands through it and have had a total of 6 'pipes'. I chalk that up to statistical error in manufacturing and/or micro debris. I am a 'nut' about cleaning after all matches.

Hope this info might prove useful.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:54 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikengracie View Post
Yea but its what they use now. You can call and verify that too. Oh sometimes they use Green Tag.
Go back and read the post. Camster stated the Model 41 was designed for CCI SV, which is impossible as CCI SV was not even in existence at the time the Model 41 was designed. There were no comments made about what S&W, or anyone else for that matter, uses now.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:06 AM
mikengracie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yea but times change and they use CCI SV now for testing maybe Green Tag in some cases. Call them and find out. I can read. I am not the ignorant person you seem to deem me or on others. I just made a statement this is what they use now. Go fly a kite instead of criticizing every one else opinions or statements. Or maybe go out and shoot something other than the 41 you slam in almost all your threads.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Suffice to say that there is a wide variance in how different brands of ammo perform.I'm sure that for years,most of us,myself included,assumed it was all pretty much the same and that is not the case.Automatics have a sweet spot for those made with certain specs,and ammo should be suspected before jumping to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the gun, that it needs to be tweaked,which I suppose some shooters gleefully want to tackle.
As a matter of maintenance, I think recoil springs should be replaced periodically,not because I think the originals are spec'd wrong for the standard vel ammo that the gun was intended for.