My Favorite Model 52 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-30-2019, 02:16 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My Favorite Model 52

Of all the models of the Winchester 52, my hands-down favorite is the slow lock Target 52.

Why the slow lock 52? Maybe because it was designed to resemble the 1903 service rifle currently being issued at the time. Or, more likely, because my father owned one made in 1927 and that's what I grew up shooting. Soon after buying it in early 1928, he put a Lyman 5A scope on it and it's the only .22 rifle he ever felt the need to own. He owned that rifle for 71 years and when he passed it went to my older brother.

A few years back I found an identical slow lock 52, also made in 1927. The serial number is 131 numbers lower than his. Well preserved, the bore is perfect.

Yesterday I took it to the range after mounting a 15X Davis Optical Co. scope on the barrel blocks. Davis bought the Litschert scope company and continued to make the same scopes.

It was a beautiful day; sunny and in the mid-60's with very little wind. I sighted the scope in and tried various cartridges at 50 yards. All were reasonably accurate, easily staying below one inch for five shots.

I finally settled on Fiocchi Official 320 cartridges with an advertised velocity of 1050 fps. I fired six, five shot groups at 50 yards and the average of the groups was .522". All things considered, I've pleased with the results. It's a 92 year old rifle and I'm not all that much younger myself. Later models had stocks that ride the bags better, faster lock time and lighter triggers but I still like my slow lock 52 the best.

Old 11-30-2019, 05:11 PM
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Nice rifle...
Old 11-30-2019, 06:40 PM
SageRat22

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I have one of those, scoped with a Lyman 8x Jr. targetspot, and it’s a pretty cool gun. I’ve never had much trouble with the trigger even though it’s pretty clunky by target rifle standards, it just seems to shoot well for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2019, 12:10 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRat22 View Post
I have one of those, scoped with a Lyman 8x Jr. targetspot, and itís a pretty cool gun. Iíve never had much trouble with the trigger even though itís pretty clunky by target rifle standards, it just seems to shoot well for me.
I have two other slow lock 52's and both have nicer triggers; so did my fathers. This one has a slight amount of creep as it stacks up just before firing. Not bad and predictable and I certainly can't complain about the accuracy.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:38 AM
citation

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm with you on the look and feel of the 1903.

As I understand it, the way it went was that they were competing for the 1903 trainer contract and were beat out by springfield's m1922. Having lost that market, they ventured into the target market with the pre-A speedlock, and so on.