Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:27 PM
ctgmi
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Question 52 Repro Ammo Preferences

Iíd like to get a thread going for all 52 Repro owners to list their rifles ammo preference.

Thinking that it may help me and others for a starting point and if any patterns are found it may help all to either try or stay away from a particular brand/type.

Now Iíve only recently picked this rifle up and have only put probably around 500 rounds down the tube, but the following are in the order of preferred ammo.

1, CCI STD Vel; now this has been OK to pretty good in other rifles, I may have got a couple of bricks of a good lot that this rifle likes.

2, Wolf MT; this has been consistently better then the CCI in other rifles, but in this rifle itís been slightly less accurate/consistent.

3, Lapua Center-X; I had great expectation for this but it shot closer to the following then the CCI or Wolf, saving the rest to try on other rifles.

4, Fed 510; it shot like it shoots in all my other rifles OK for plinking but itís not the stuff for tight groups.

The following have been the best targets so far from both 50 & 100 yards using CCI.

Last edited by ctgmi; 12-16-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:18 PM
zywina

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You are correct about the CCI Standard velocity being very accurate in these guns. The best group I did was 1 hole 25 metre from the bench, no rest. The average was around 1/4". I also had a Browning repo and found that after alot of expensive ammo the CCI Standard did best on average.Dale in Canada
Old 12-15-2009, 11:10 PM
wallyo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
go to the forums to the winchester posts and look up "browning and usrac made 52 repro accuracy" and go to page 7. i have some data there on my first trip to the range with mine. more work to do but happy so far.
wo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 11:14 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Mine liked Wolf MT and Eley Practice (yellow box).

Sadly, I sold/traded this rifle for some needed cash and two Knight muzzleloaders.

I should have asked gor more...
Old 12-16-2009, 10:07 AM
ctgmi

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Wallyo, hope you donít mind. I pasted your post trying to keep what info I can find in one thread to keep it easier for anyone interested.

Quote:
i bought a browning m-52 repro several months ago. it was LNIB and if ever fired at all it did not show it. finally got a scope on it a took it to the range last week. tried a bunch of ammo in it to find out what did best and the results as best i can explain is as follows:
all done at 35 yards with 5 shot groups since i use it for hunting and this distance seems to work well for me. i am not interested in bench rest accuracy although it is always great when that happens. i had bore sighted it and used the burris signature zee rings with the inserts so it didn't take long to get it on the money.

high velocity cci's did o k for start up but it really got good when i switched to std vel/subsonic ammo.

it LOVED eley biathalon sport ammo--one ragged hole .4 outside to outside
" " cci segmented subsonics-- " " " .4 " " "
" " wolf match extra " " " .5 " " "
it LIKED cci subsonic HP, eley sport, and wolf mt .4-.5 " " "
it even liked remington target

based on the results i chose to hunt with cci sub hp and wolf mt. i have'm and they are reasonably priced. BUT, if i ever find the eley biathalons at a real good price i will get a bunch of them. nothing else was close except for the cci seg subs and i have found that they really tear up the meat.

i hope to do some more work with the rifle using drock's tool on the favored ammo and i will let you know when that happens.

good luck with yours and i hope it shoots to your satisfaction. that is a great looking rifle and having the accessories you got with it is really good especially the extra mag.

wally o
Old 12-16-2009, 11:57 AM
MK111

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have mentioned it before. "Ask the gun". I would shoot every type of ammo you can buy or borrow and shoot it in your rifle. Just clean the barrel in between the differant types of ammo and shoot enough of the new ammo to recondition the barrel to see if the rifle likes the new ammo or not.
Sorry it's just what I do and it works for me.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:15 PM
ctgmi

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK111 View Post
I have mentioned it before. "Ask the gun". I would shoot every type of ammo you can buy or borrow and shoot it in your rifle. Just clean the barrel in between the differant types of ammo and shoot enough of the new ammo to recondition the barrel to see if the rifle likes the new ammo or not.
Sorry it's just what I do and it works for me.
MK111, while Iím in total agreement of your methodology I know a number of other variables like barrel and action screw tension, along with the weather can make a difference.

But as mentioned above I posted this to see if any patterns in ammo preferences may come out of this thread as it may help narrowing down ammo purchase for any interested parties. I for one value what little range time I can get along with a limited local selection of ammo choices, but please if you could post your findings.

ThanksÖ
Old 12-16-2009, 06:07 PM
herpestes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
lapua midus m gold box
lapua dominator m
lapua multi match m
eley red
eley black
russian temp
russian match
no tension on barrel screw (barrel free floated)
Old 12-16-2009, 06:21 PM
cmjr

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Repro diet

Mine likes Wolf MT for shooting paper and Winchester Power Points for hunting. I'm sure if I wanted to I could feed it Lapua Midas, Eley EPS, etc and find something that would work better. I just don't shoot 10.00/box+ ammo in a sporter for grins and I don't use the Win Repro to compete with.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:42 PM
herpestes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HAHA...............guess you could run wally world specials thru it

no biggie

Last edited by herpestes; 12-16-2009 at 07:53 PM.