Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Mike1957
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My grandfather`s model 18-2

Found a set of grips like belong on my grandfather`s model 18 on an e-bay auction. It had real pearl grips on it and it looks good, but even better with diamond service grips like it originally had.

This gun has an interesting story that goes with it. My grandfather bought it new when he quit farming. When I was very young I remember him shooting it in his back yard.
When he passed away in 1967 my dad wanted to buy it from his estate, but no one could find it. Was assumed that he must have sold it before he died.

A few years ago I was at the local Izaak Walton range. Several people were on the pistol range. One guy that I knew had a nice little model 18 with pearl grips. Asked where he got it.
Gerald said that he had gotten it right after he got out of school in 1966. That my grandfather had given it to him in exchange for painting his house and garage.
As you would expect, I tried to buy it. But Gerald had had the gun for nearly 40 years and didn`t want to sell even when I offered quite a bit more than it was actually worth at the time.
But I didn`t give up. We eventually worked out a trade. I had a near mint 6" model 17-3 that he liked and we made the swap. He had replaced the grips when he was a young man and the original grips were long since gone.

I offered the model 18 to my dad, but he said that at his age he had little use for it. Was just glad it had found its way back into the family.

The gun is a model 18-2 made in 1962. Has been shot a fair amount, but has been well cared for and is still in nice condition for its age.
Pics below with both sets of grips along with my other Smith 22s.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:36 PM
cabezaverde
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great Story. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:45 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Congratulations on getting it back into the family. That doesn't happen very often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2011, 08:04 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The most valuable (to me) guns in my safes are the family guns. I'm glad it made it back to you.

Szumi
Old 10-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Mike1957
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I`ve had the gun back in the family for about 4 years now. But today when I put the new grips on it, I was going to take some pics and post them, it occured to me that I had never told about the history on that gun on any of the gun related forums that I read. So figured as long as I was going to post the pics, might as well tell the story.