Old 09-10-2007, 09:08 PM
rigrat
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to rigrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinohntr View Post
Me thinks I smell a rat.I have went through about 600 rds. total of about 10 ammo brands and can't get 4 on 1 target.I am wondering if there is some payola going on here,is someone getting a kick-back from ammo Cos.? (just joking)Real challange.
Hey I don't smell. I take a shower every day. You just need to tweak it up a little, and then you will be hitting everything you shoot at.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Dinohntr
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICOCHET View Post
sorry, dino,

no "cherry picking" LOL, as i was told a long time ago, LOL, all groups need to
be on the same card.

for now, stay with the 1/4" club, as it is a lot easier than "playing pool",
the only time you will need scotch tape is to stick the target to the wall
and take a pic of it to show us how well you did.

it's not a big rush to get into any of these "games". we are not going anywhere. when the shooting conditions are right, you will make it,

just have FUN shooting, the MAIN theme here,

BTW, normally, it takes a bit of tinkering and some good ammo to make small holes, but here we enjoy doing what it takes to achieve that end. AND, if you
hunt all the better if your shooter is really accurate,

rico....
Im tinkering but these .22s as target rifles are new to me So far I've bedded the receiver,first 2" of barrel ahead of receiver and 1"at the band area (it just wont shoot without the front bedding)trigger work now 2lbs and crisp with overtravel screw stop,Bushnell Elete 6-24x40(which I know is good as it shoots moa on my .220 Swift)I am now in the process of making the rear action hold down per/Squawsach/Sawdust when done I will remove all the bedding and re-bed.Then have at it again.I know it's not me as I've shot comp.for 40+yrs at 300,500 and 1000 and won my share I know it's not the glass so that leaves rifle and ammo.I can tweek on the rifle untill I get it but the ammo is my un-controlled variable.But I ain't going to quit as I'm just to bull headed and it's fun.

PS:I wont be shooting at 5 below and in the snow,I know,"Im not committed"
Old 09-10-2007, 10:29 PM
RICOCHET

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
okay, Dino,

seems like you have things under control. my apology if it seemes like i "talked down" to you as i, we had no idea of your past xperience. good luck on your tweaking on your ruger.

rico....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2007, 11:02 PM
OpsMgr
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Im tinkering but these .22s as target rifles are new to me So far I've bedded the receiver,first 2" of barrel ahead of receiver and 1"at the band area (it just wont shoot without the front bedding)trigger work now 2lbs and crisp with overtravel screw stop,Bushnell Elete 6-24x40(which I know is good as it shoots moa on my .220 Swift)I am now in the process of making the rear action hold down per/Squawsach/Sawdust when done I will remove all the bedding and re-bed.Then have at it again.I know it's not me as I've shot comp.for 40+yrs at 300,500 and 1000 and won my share I know it's not the glass so that leaves rifle and ammo.I can tweek on the rifle untill I get it but the ammo is my un-controlled variable.But I ain't going to quit as I'm just to bull headed and it's fun.

PS:I wont be shooting at 5 below and in the snow,I know,"Im not committed"
Hey Dinohntr - Being "Bull headed" and having fun is one of the keys to success with these SuperStock rimfires. Been shooting .223s and .45s for years but have never had more fun and challenges than with the SuperStock rim fire rifles. This will get into your blood if you aren't careful!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:05 AM
Que
RFC Sponsor
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (101)
Ops those are/were my favorite rds, .223 and .45 yet once you start off playing with these .22 they are hard to let go of ain't they. I'm having a lot more fun and challenges with the .22 then ever with the other calibers.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Quote:
Me thinks I smell a rat.I have went through about 600 rds. total of about 10 ammo brands and can't get 4 on 1 target.I am wondering if there is some payola going on here,is someone getting a kick-back from ammo Cos.? (just joking)Real challange.
ONLY 600 rds?

What is THE most important thing on ANY rifle? What has the MOST effect on what a bullet does other than the shooter?

What barrel is on that rifle? What ammo are you shooting?

All the rest of the tuning stuff depends on those two. Occasional you get lucky and a rifle will shoot cheap ammo better than good ammo. This almost always occurs when a rifle has a sporter chamber. Happen to me yesterday. My 1972 Glenfield/Marlin Mod 75 shot better with Dynapoints than SK STD + or Wolf ME (thanks for the tip Ricochet, the rifle loves this stuff). BUT I do not see this rifle ever making 1/8th inch groups consistently. Without rechambering anyway. It has a good chance at 1/4" Club if I shoot it enough. But does that prove that it is accurate?

To get the kind of accuracy to shoot consistent small groups you have to have good barrel with a good chamber. If you don't have that you may shoot 6000 rds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 09-11-2007, 11:38 AM
rigrat
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to rigrat
Chamber and a good barrel, sure go along way to making a accurate rifle. But if you are like me takes several hundreds of rounds to tune the shooter, to be able to shoot the rifle good, LOL.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Dinohntr
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICOCHET View Post
okay, Dino,

seems like you have things under control. my apology if it seemes like i "talked down" to you as i, we had no idea of your past xperience. good luck on your tweaking on your ruger.

rico....
No need for an apology as I did'nt feel as you were talking down to me.I am really a new comer to rimfire and benchrest shooting. I was a belly gun shooter but had a shoulder surgery that went way bad and I can no longer take heavy recoil. About a year ago I ran across RIMFIRE CENTRAL and the .17s looked like a way I could at least do some target shooting.So 1 .17 lead to 3 and then a Savage .22 came home with me and it multiplied into 4 more .22s, then my biggest mistake,I went into the 10/22 room and the rest is history.I've always been a bolt man but these auto-loaders are a challenge and I really enjoy trying to get the best out of them.Right now the goal is to get my 1977 10/22 to shoot in the 1/4"club and I find it more challenging than building a winning 1000yrd rifle but a whole bunch cheaper.My Ruger,Anney and Savage .17s will shoot about 1/4" at 50 all day so why am I tweeking on this 10/22,the challenge I think.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:32 PM
OpsMgr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, racked 'em up and took another run at Rico's crazy pool game. Hope Brother Rico will bless my target:

Shot the target with my Stainless Superstocker with the following mods:

WK Bolt Buffer
CPC Bolt
VQ TG2000 Trigger
GM 20" Fluted Sporter
DSP Walnut Stock, Free Floated Barrel Channel
Bushnell Trophy 6-18X40 AO Scope
Leupold Rings & Base
SK Std+ Ammo

Here is a pic of my rifle:

Old 09-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Que
RFC Sponsor
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (101)
oh man Ops thats some sweet shooting there brother. Congrats to ya sir.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:39 PM
OpsMgr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post
oh man Ops thats some sweet shooting there brother. Congrats to ya sir.
Thanks Que - Weather was perfect today in Central Alabama. Bet your weather changed yesterday as well. Gotta love the Fall and how bout that Crimson Tide?
Old 09-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Dang Ops....two lists in one day. Good shooting buddy. Pretty rifle too!

When I built Stainless twin I was going to go with the all stainless and walnut look. Some times I still wonder if I should. I left it with just the barrel stainlees because back in the 70's when some one built a really classy varmint rifle it would have a stainless barrel but no one made stainless actions back then. So the barrel would be the only stainless on the rifle.

I really like that stainless and walnut look though. A LOT.

Great shooting Ops!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 09-16-2007, 02:44 PM
RICOCHET

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
hay ops,

looks like you are the new "rack boy here", make sure there is enuf talc and chalk, LOL,

you have been busy today 2 games on the same day, and am keeping me on my toes as well, ha ha, rigger will also have a bit of spreadsheet re-arranging, lol,

that is some grrrreat shooting in one of the "tuffer" games, IMO,

your name has been added to the list as well as the avg. grats to you,

rico....

Last edited by RICOCHET; 09-16-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:50 PM
OpsMgr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Rico and Vincent. Had a lot of fun today and was in the zone for a change. Think it may have been the hint of Fall in the air!

Last edited by OpsMgr; 09-16-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:49 PM
AK

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Man O Man....two games in one day makes for a busy OPS Nice shooting with another beaut of a build
Closed Thread