Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:25 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Did you ride your dog to work today?

I have a question that maybe someone knows, but for the life of me, I can not think of any good explanation.

Why do we have to have a license for our dogs like we do our cars? It has to be renewed the same time, once a year or every two years depending on how much you pay. I can see some of that money from our car tags gong to help fix the roads, but what do out dogs tear up that needs the county to repair it? I am just curious, as this makes no sense to me what so ever.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:29 AM
TOMBECK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Would assume you have animal shelters and animal control officers in Ohio. These services are not free.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:33 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMBECK View Post
Would assume you have animal shelters and animal control officers in Ohio. These services are not free.
With that logic, why arent there licences for children?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2019, 09:49 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Skool/ejukashun taxes.

Several years back according to the city animal registration dept. there was only one cat in my town. Guffaw!!
Old 12-03-2019, 09:55 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Skool/ejukashun taxesD
Ya dont have to have chillun to pay those!
Old 12-03-2019, 10:43 AM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Not to mention cats!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Skool/ejukashun taxes.

Several years back according to the city animal registration dept. there was only one cat in my town. Guffaw!!
There oughtta be a law . . . . . .
Old 12-03-2019, 03:44 PM
MKnarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've owned dogs (and cats) in NM, PA and CO and never paid for a license. I'm guessing the main reason is MONEY.

BTW, how did the cataract surgery go? I'm very happy with mine and can actually drive without glasses and I had just the standard lens.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:20 PM
GreggieBoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In my dog's younger days it was required. She must of overheard us talking because she thought it was a license to kill. Just ask the gopher she bagged. She used to go after spiders with a vengeance. Well not anymore. She is now retired.

When I first got her dog license I made a copy and taped it to my daughter's bedroom door. Wrote on there "I'm now a legal resident". She thought it was kind of funny.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:26 PM
alro41
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
As I recall rabies shots were/are required along with the licence. It was a way to reduce/prevent rabies. Any dog not licensed was subject to confiscation and probable destruction back in the day.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:27 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKnarr View Post
I've owned dogs (and cats) in NM, PA and CO and never paid for a license. I'm guessing the main reason is MONEY.

BTW, how did the cataract surgery go? I'm very happy with mine and can actually drive without glasses and I had just the standard lens.
It went extremely well. I go in next Monday for my other one. Got the one done just in time, because what used to be my better eye, I cannot see this I am typing anymore, so next Tuesday I will have clear vision our of both eyes. I will be driving myself to the Dr tomorrow of the final check up on the first eye. Before the surgery, I and I will still driving, I could not actually read a speed limit sign until my front bumper was at the sign. The day after my surgery, when my uncle took me for my day after check up, I was reading those signs 200 and 300 yards away.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:31 AM
GTS225
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Like Alro's municipality, vaccinations are a requirement for the city license. They also give a half-price discount for having the animal spayed or neutered, so there's incentive there to control the over-population problem.

One problem with so many people is the misconception that the tag they get from their vet that indicates vaccinations have been given is construed to be their "dog tag", as they're called locally. (Ours is actually a a metal tag to be affixed to the collar). So the owner never gets the official $10 or $5 city tag from city hall.

Another is the ignorance of the ordinance. So many think they can just let their cur run loose, ( and almost all cat owners, as well), and everything is fine. Such is not the case here. One must keep the animal on a leash, or chain/cable or fenced if on the owner's property. Alternatively, one may allow the animal to be loose, IF the creature will respond to voice commands, and is in constant sight of the owner.

I've been sorely tempted to start dispatching some of the "pet" cats in the neighborhood that are running loose, without collars, and are attempting to bed down in my garage or outbuildings.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy, old, opinionated, SOB.

Roger

Last edited by GTS225; 12-04-2019 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:02 PM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They require, I don't comply. The marriage license is the license for kids. Without one people shouldn't have them
Old 12-04-2019, 01:37 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We have a county wide leash law here. No one including law enforcement pays the least bit of attention to it. Two years ago we bought a new suv and with barely 1300 miles on the odometer a pit bull going full throttle came out from behind a fence and ran into it. I didn't have time to even get my foot on the brake it hapened so quickly. It was "DOG''and "BAM". 1800 plus dollars fixed my new suv but the dog was beyond repair.

The dog license is just a tax with a different name.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:01 PM
MKnarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
It went extremely well. I go in next Monday for my other one. Got the one done just in time, because what used to be my better eye, I cannot see this I am typing anymore, so next Tuesday I will have clear vision our of both eyes. I will be driving myself to the Dr tomorrow of the final check up on the first eye. Before the surgery, I and I will still driving, I could not actually read a speed limit sign until my front bumper was at the sign. The day after my surgery, when my uncle took me for my day after check up, I was reading those signs 200 and 300 yards away.
I should have mentioned. When I came home after the first eye, I had to take the lens out of my glasses on the new eye to be able to see well Othewise my vision was blurry.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKnarr View Post
I should have mentioned. When I came home after the first eye, I had to take the lens out of my glasses on the new eye to be able to see well Othewise my vision was blurry.
I just had my one week exam and its healing really well. I stopped o the way home and got me some walmart reading glasses. They are not exact, but with there I can now set my icons back to the small setting and read everything. The day after my surgery on the first eye, my vision was 20/20, but just could not see up close. Everything past 6-8' was perfectly clear. I did not even have to wear glasses to drive to the Dr today. I will wait until they are both completely healed, then get a job using my reading glasses, and save for good prescription reading glasses.