A Japanese W52B with iron sights - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:59 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
A Japanese W52B with iron sights

All indications are this is how the rifle came, a fairly knowledgable dealer says he's never seen one but I'm certain I have seen at least one other.

Thoughts, comments etc. are welcome. Thank you.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:04 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
What do you mean, never seen one? They made a lot of the Japanese reproductions in the eighties.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2019, 04:20 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRUGL4X'SC View Post
What do you mean, never seen one? They made a lot of the Japanese reproductions in the eighties.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Actually 1990's and I'm talking made with Iron Sights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 04:33 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My repro Winchester 52B is less than 200 above your serial number and doesn't have iron sights. Yours is the first I've seen and IMO it's looks great.

IF your rear sight is made of steel, that suggests the sights were added as Lyman hasn't made those sights in steel for awhile. If you have the original box, the label may indicate if it came with sights from the factory.

The other interesting thing is, my serial number begins "BS" and doesn't have the "W" in front of it.

My other repro is one of the 500 heavy barrel models that Zanders had made.

Factory or not, that's a sweet looking rifle.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:42 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I have never seen any evidence that suggests that any of the Miroku made 52 rifles came with sights. That being said, I have put sights on two of them, and it's not difficult to do.

It's much more likely that a previous owner did what I have done, and you are the beneficiary of another's efforts.

BRP
Old 12-02-2019, 04:42 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Looks good. I question the front sight mounting screw being a factory install. Sits up above ramp and I would guess a factory sight would be flush? Are the actions already drilled and tapped for the peep sight like the originals?
Old 12-02-2019, 04:44 PM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
My repro Winchester 52B is less than 200 above your serial number and doesn't have iron sights. Yours is the first I've seen and IMO it's looks great.

IF your rear sight is made of steel, that suggests the sights were added as Lyman hasn't made those sights in steel for awhile. If you have the original box, the label may indicate if it came with sights from the factory.

The other interesting thing is, my serial number begins "BS" and doesn't have the "W" in front of it.

My other repro is one of the 500 heavy barrel models that Zanders had made.

Factory or not, that's a sweet looking rifle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeParson View Post
I have never seen any evidence that suggests that any of the Miroku made 52 rifles came with sights. That being said, I have put sights on two of them, and it's not difficult to do.

It's much more likely that a previous owner did what I have done, and you are the beneficiary of another's efforts.

BRP
Thanks gentlemen and since you both have a longer history with these than I, you are likely correct.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:51 PM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSHKABOOM View Post
Looks good. I question the front sight mounting screw being a factory install. Sits up above ramp and I would guess a factory sight would be flush? Are the actions already drilled and tapped for the peep sight like the originals?

If you blow up this photo of my Browning roll marked 52 you can just see the filler screws on the receiver, so....???
Old 12-02-2019, 07:56 PM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSHKABOOM View Post
I noticed the screw in the front sight, I'm no expert but will be surprised if its a factory deal. The receivers I've seen have been drilled for a sight.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:51 PM

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thats a beauty either way. Congrats.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:20 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Iíve never seen one with factory-installed iron sights. It was always a mystery to me why Browning and Winchester had Miroku drill, tap, and plug screw the receiver for a receiver sight but never (I assume) offered a front sight-equipped 52. Granted, a 52 receiver just would not look right without those plugged holes, but, then again, a 52 Sporting just does not look right without a front sight, so, go figure.

In my opinion, Doubs43 is spot on with his comment about what appears to be a steel Lyman aperture sight, those not being produced during the time of the 52 repros manufacture. Likely, therefore, installed by someone. And finding and installing an original Lyman 48F and a Winchester M70/M52 Solder-on front sight ramp with hood would probably cost what a 52 Repro rifle itself would cost.

In any event, though, those are the sights I would probably install on a Repro, so, very nice. The problem is, can you install a scope with the Lyman in place?

TBR
Old 12-02-2019, 09:26 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
That's a real beauty of a rifle, Gerald. Now I have to go to the Savage/Stevens forum to see your other acquisition.........
Old 12-02-2019, 09:58 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My thoughts are.....regardless of whether the sights are factory original or not (and I don't think they are), that is a very nice looking rifle. Very nice.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:32 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post

The problem is, can you install a scope with the Lyman in place?

TBR
The location of the scope base holes on the reproduction 52 rifles (which used the later 52-E hole spacing) precludes mounting both a Lyman 48 and the scope bases. So you have to decide: iron sights or a scope. (Not that the iron sights can actually be used with a scope in place!) But I have both on my 52-C Sporter.

The original 52-C Sporter had the holes on the rear receiver ring further forward, and that allows one to keep the Lyman 48 in place and still mount a scope. I wish the Miroku 52 rifles had used the 52-C spacing, but alas, they did not.

FWIW, here's my Miroku 52 with a Lyman 48 sight and a Lyman barrel band front sight.

BRP

Last edited by BlueRidgeParson; 12-02-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:39 AM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Very nice BRP, you folks have me convinced that these are add ons but I really like them and since I have a scoped 52R (Browning roll marked) I'm good with no scope. Thanks for the education.

It's a good shooter and I'm hoping I can do creditable work with the iron sights as well.