Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:44 AM
litewings

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking for Ruger 77/17 accuracy reports

I've read a few reviews on the 24" barrel version but trying to get some info on how the 20" and 18.5" compare. Mostly looking for information on the 18.5" version. Curious also on velocity changes in different barrel lengths. I'm trying to narrow done my choices between a Savage Bmag and a Ruger. Any information appreciated.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:10 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Wings,
You might contact Ruger and see if they have any info for you.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:34 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not really sure if it's how Ruger chambers their 17 WSM's or if they have a different barrel dia. spec. or if it's the extra barrel length that maybe isn't needed on their 24in version, but for some reason they always seem to shoot just a little slower than the Bmag with their shorter barrels. I had my Bmag cut back to 20in when it was in getting threaded and it shoots right at 3000fps with the 20gr ammo.

It'll be interesting to see if Ruger's shorter barreled models shoot faster or slower than their original 24in. version. I sure like the looks of that new shorty barrel Ruger 17 WSM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2019, 04:55 PM
litewings

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Hey Wings,
You might contact Ruger and see if they have any info for you.
Called Ruger for some info. If anyone has looked on the website, they no longer list the 77/17 with a 24" barrel and it is in deed fact it is no longer offered by them. It is the 20" and 18.5" only. Thats OK with me, dont have an interest in the 24". The rep I was talking to did not have the answers on velocity differences and handed me over tho someone else for more detailed info. I left a voice message for them. Hope to hear back from them tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:13 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Walnut and steel 5.7#. https://ruger.com/products/77Series7...eets/7217.html
Old 02-05-2019, 08:52 PM
litewings

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
If that was a heavy barrel, that would be the one I would consider. I had a 20" and a 24" in my hands this weekend. It seemed to me the 24 barrel was a bit heavier contour the the 20 at the same length. I didn't actually measure it, but seemed that way. Have that in the question que tomorrow for the Ruger person.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:33 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by litewings View Post
If that was a heavy barrel, that would be the one I would consider. I had a 20" and a 24" in my hands this weekend. It seemed to me the 24 barrel was a bit heavier contour the the 20 at the same length. I didn't actually measure it, but seemed that way. Have that in the question que tomorrow for the Ruger person.
The one in my link didn't look like an HB.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:59 AM
PineMountain

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For reference-
I have the 24" barrel model.
Muzzle diameter - .660"
Midpoint diameter - (@11.5") .795"
Receiver diameter - 1" (approx), straight section approx 1"

One comment- subjectively, based on field handling and "snag factor", the gun is too long by about 2".
Old 02-06-2019, 07:30 AM
litewings

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for those numbers.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:07 PM
arowpoint

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just got a 7218. Nice looking but, fit and finish isn't what I expected from a Ruger product. Shinny spots on the satin finish stock. But pad proud in some spots. Barrel channel touching barrel in some spot on the right side and not in other spots. Real tight on the left side of the barrel and both sides of the receiver. Wood in the mag well was so rough I had to pull slivers out of my finger after running it around in there. Pulled the bolt out and wiped it off. In areas of little or no concern it wasn't finished very well, including a dent in the breach face. Ran a patch down the bore and found a few chips show up on the patch. Mounted a scope and the screws felt like a mile of gravel road. The only burrs I found were on the action screws, which came from the factory torqued to 15 in. lbs. front and rear. First impression on a scale of 1-10 ... 8 ( my Bmag with plastic stock was a 5). Took it to the range and put 25 rounds down it at 100 yds. Shoot 1, clean X4. Shoot 2, clean X3. Shoot 5, clean X3. Last 2 groups of 5 shot for score so's to speak. Both groups could be covered with a penny. Trigger was 6 lbs. and crisp. No mv testing. Imagin what it will do when bedded, triggered and broke in.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:29 PM
litewings

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arowpoint View Post
Just got a 7218. Nice looking but, fit and finish isn't what I expected from a Ruger product. Shinny spots on the satin finish stock. But pad proud in some spots. Barrel channel touching barrel in some spot on the right side and not in other spots. Real tight on the left side of the barrel and both sides of the receiver. Wood in the mag well was so rough I had to pull slivers out of my finger after running it around in there. Pulled the bolt out and wiped it off. In areas of little or no concern it wasn't finished very well, including a dent in the breach face. Ran a patch down the bore and found a few chips show up on the patch. Mounted a scope and the screws felt like a mile of gravel road. The only burrs I found were on the action screws, which came from the factory torqued to 15 in. lbs. front and rear. First impression on a scale of 1-10 ... 8 ( my Bmag with plastic stock was a 5). Took it to the range and put 25 rounds down it at 100 yds. Shoot 1, clean X4. Shoot 2, clean X3. Shoot 5, clean X3. Last 2 groups of 5 shot for score so's to speak. Both groups could be covered with a penny. Trigger was 6 lbs. and crisp. No mv testing. Imagin what it will do when bedded, triggered and broke in.
Thanks for posting this. This sounds promising to me since accuracy is my main concern. Looking good is secondary but also considered. Somewhat of a let down on some of the workmanship qualities you've listed but workable. I had one in my hands this last weekend and the fit in the barrel channel was very good. I'm sure it varies. I did not get a call back from Ruger today about the velocities or a couple other questions I left with them. Please keep us posted on further shooting and performance. Again, thanks for the info.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:10 AM
ShooterJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
I'm not really sure if it's how Ruger chambers their 17 WSM's or if they have a different barrel dia. spec. or if it's the extra barrel length that maybe isn't needed on their 24in version, but for some reason they always seem to shoot just a little slower than the Bmag with their shorter barrels. I had my Bmag cut back to 20in when it was in getting threaded and it shoots right at 3000fps with the 20gr ammo.

It'll be interesting to see if Ruger's shorter barreled models shoot faster or slower than their original 24in. version. I sure like the looks of that new shorty barrel Ruger 17 WSM.
I would like to know too. If I were to get another .17 WSM it might be that Rugar short barreled version. Compact and possibly more accurate than the long barrel models.

Last edited by ShooterJ; 02-07-2019 at 02:13 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:54 AM
PineMountain

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For Arrowpoint-
I presume that you'll have your action out of the stock sometime soon... please post if your rifle has a wide, shallow cross-cut slot in the barrel, just ahead of the action.
Mine does, not entirely sure of its purpose.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:33 AM
17VLD
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Im curious too about the speed from the 18.5

Been on the fence about the 17WSM in a Ruger,thinking 24 isnt really needed.I remember Bullberrys work with barrel length testing and the 17HMR.The data was very interesting,Wish they would do a similar test with the 17WSM.There are a few 24 s/s models left,but the prices are starting to creep up.Thinking Ruger must have done some testing to come up up with 18.5,Perhaps it is a compromise between accuracy and velocity.I would like either but really would like to get 3000fps with the 20 grain bullet.
Matt
Old 02-07-2019, 09:41 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arowpoint View Post
Last 2 groups of 5 shot for score so's to speak. Both groups could be covered with a penny. Trigger was 6 lbs.
So much for those who routinely blame all the ammo for the inaccuracies in their's.

Very nice shooting considering.