39A ammo sensitive? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:02 PM
jimny
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
39A ammo sensitive?

I'm bringing a neglected 1950 Marlin 39A back to life. Looks like it was "put away wet". Outside metal pitted but the internals look like new. Replaced the tube spring - the old spring was in 4 pieces, cleaned out the crud and went to try it out today. With CCI standard velocity I had constant jams, feeding 2 at a time, locking the lever open. With Federal bulk high velocity the problems went away. I really thought an old time 22 would fire any ammo all the time. Anyone else had this happen?
Old 10-31-2019, 10:22 PM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
At the mag tube exit, there should be a flat metal spring there called a cartridge Stop, and it is to only allow one to come out at a time. If the screw it lose, or the screw missing, or the cartridge stop missing, you wilol have multi feeds. They are not ammo specific as far as multi feeding goes,. you have another problem there that needs further inspection.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:06 PM
jimny

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
39A ammo

Gizzy, thanks for the reply. The cartridge stop is in place, the screw is tight and internals look good. The shooter who gave me the Federal bulk 22 to try claimed he had jamming problems with CCI standard velocity. Next time I get to shoot it I will use something besides CCI standard vel. CCI works good in all my bolt action clip fed rifles, so I don't see why it would jam, but it does .

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 03:08 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Slide some of the CCI's down that tube with the gun is apart, and see if that cartridge stop actually works. It may LOOK fine to someone who does not know what one in the proper position looks like. I am just saying that first off... CCI's are thew best ammo you can run in one, and I have never seen one double feed unless it was that cartridge cutoff.

Please trust me, its not the ammo. You will not find a more consistent ammo than the CCI 's. Ask others on here how I do with Marlins.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:41 PM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got lucky with mine. The family 39a sat in a closet for 30 years until a few months ago. Just snaked it clean and took it to the range with some CCI/SV. Not a spec of trouble. Got lucky.

See pic. Shot this yesterday. CCI/SV vs. Eley Std Bulk. Still lucky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060462.JPG (149.6 KB, 165 views)

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 11-02-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:45 PM
jimny

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
39A ammo ?

Gizzy, I'll try checking the cartridge stop as you described and see if it checks out OK.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 11-26-2019, 08:58 PM
jimd441

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jimmy - Gizzy is the ultimate Marlin 39 guru, totally trust what he says.

Jim
Old 11-27-2019, 09:13 AM
JimHnSTL

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
not to hijack the thread but is there a different cartridge stop for earlier models such as a 50's vintage compared to a 70's vintage 39? I ask because now that i have three 39A rifles i think maybe it wouldn't hurt to have a few new spare parts on hand for years down the road.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:33 AM
Airtool
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Spacer?

OK, cartridge stop is there and the screw's tight - Is the spacer there, underneath the stop? Gizzy's got you on the right track, and if it's been asked I missed it: If that cartridge stop spacer's not there, the stop likely sits too low to hold the cartridges in the tube under spring pressure. If it's there, try to note the orientation for reinstallation... If it's ever been out, there's a 50-50 chance it's not the way Marlin wanted them. I think it's with the indent on the ear down, toward the receiver, and not the stop... Gizzy?

The 'old style' cartridge stops can be made from the 'new' ones - I've made a few, and they're almost indistinguishable and work perfectly.

airtool

Last edited by Airtool; 11-27-2019 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spacer orientation
Old 11-27-2019, 10:49 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL View Post
not to hijack the thread but is there a different cartridge stop for earlier models such as a 50's vintage compared to a 70's vintage 39? I ask because now that i have three 39A rifles i think maybe it wouldn't hurt to have a few new spare parts on hand for years down the road.
Start this in a new thread, and vepr will be able to help you with this one. He is the guru for the older Marlins.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:46 PM
bgl0b6

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Years ago,I was early 20's.I bought a 1955 39A used.I took it out,shot it,it shot fine.I took it home,cleaned it,tightened all the screws,next time I took it out,it jammed every time,tried to double load,what a nightmare.I brought it back to the shop,he went over the gun,called me a few days later,showed me a target said it was fixed,fired a box of shells through it no more issues.I took it out that afternoon,flawless all afternoon.When I got home,I did a complete cleaning,and tightened all the screws again.Next week end I went out,the gun jammed every time again.I took it back again,he fixed it again,said nothing about what he found.Again same result.This time he broke down the gun while I was there,he showed me he had adjusted the spring tension on the shell release,the pin punched it.He could tell then that I had tightened that screw and it put to much tension on that part and it wanted to let more than one shell in at once.He readjusted the tension,re pin punched the flat spring at the screw and the told me not to touch that screw.That was 1975,its shot great ever since.He was the first person ever to say to me ''IF IT ISN'T BROKE DON'T F--- WITH IT''lol