Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:43 AM
rugermann

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Struggling to sight in with the weaver t24

Took out my mtr with a weaver t24 to sight it in and I am struggling. I can usually get a rifle close with 5 rounds. I am on 50 and it’s not even close. Can someone help me out? Do I have the scope set up right? This is the first weaver I have had but it seems like it’s opposite of what I’m used to. The vertical is on the side and the right and left are on top. Did I mount it correctly? Any help would be great. Also how do I zero it out to start over?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1559623285460.jpg (352.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg image_1559623340061.jpg (387.8 KB, 62 views)
Old 06-04-2019, 01:17 AM
Miss-the-mtns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Elevation (up or down) is top turret.
Windage (left or right) is on the right side.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:23 AM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Looks like someone switched positions with the turret knobs. That could get a bit frustrating if one tried to sight in the scope by following the directions on the knobs....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2019, 01:29 AM
426NUT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bore sight it

Pull the bolt out, set the rifle solidly onto sandbags, and sight through the barrel at a target 25 yards away.
Now, Without moving the rifle from the target, sight through the scope and twirl the knobs until the crosshairs are centered on the target. You may have to peer through the barrel occasionally to verify the barre is still correctly aimed at said target.
This will get you on paper.

As for the knobs on the scope. The vertical (top) knob is elevation. The horizontal (side) knob is Windage. the knob caps might be interchangeable if they are labeled otherwise and simply need to be swapped. E.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:31 AM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well foots, IDK. Looks like someone swapped the turret caps on you. Call 911, ask for a cheeseburger and fries, email Santa and request his elf that specializes in Weaver scope repair. It's a long shot but that's the best advice I can give right now.

BTW, keep an eye on the elf, they will steal from you. I caught one once and he was trying to steal two rolls of my Charmin. I flicked his ear (couldn't miss) and made him put them back. He started crying and said he was tired of wiping his butt with corncobs. I felt sorry for him and gave him a pack. He was so happy.

On a more serious note, looks like someone swapped the turret caps.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:45 AM
smokefrog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd also continue with 426NUT's advice after you are on paper.

Aim at a distinct point, fire one or a few rounds, continue to look through the scope and keep the reticle exactly at the same point of aim, then while still looking through the scope, dial the turrets and visually put the reticle at the point of impact.

Don't worry about number of clicks, values and directions, just visually match the reticle and point of impact by using a consistent point of aim while keeping the rifle from moving. If you shift the rifle accidentally, take another shot from the same point of aim and repeat the process.

Making target measurements and adjusting by turret calculations can get confusing very easily, it's a counter intuitive process.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:12 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mounted wrong. Turn til one turret on top one on left side.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:48 AM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Your scope is mounted correctly. It's the knobs that are wrong.

Use a coin to loosen the caps. Remove the caps, pull the turret knobs off and install the one that says "L" & "R" on the side. The one that says "U" & "D" goes on top.

Once you have zeroed the rifle, remove the turret knobs without disturbing the adjustments and put them on zero. Install the caps and tighten.

The scope should have come with an extra set of knobs that don't allow using the turret covers. You have a choice of which knobs you want to use.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:01 AM
Johnny_Johnson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
The scope should have come with an extra set of knobs that don't allow using the turret covers. You have a choice of which knobs you want to use.
Thought that I remembered that the extra knobs are no longer being shipped with the scopes. Could easily be wrong though.

Later,
Johnny
Old 06-04-2019, 03:12 AM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Johnson View Post
Thought that I remembered that the extra knobs are no longer being shipped with the scopes. Could easily be wrong though.

Later, Johnny
I could also be wrong about that. I last ordered a T-36 about six months ago and it came with the extra knobs but Weaver could have quit sending them. Personally I like the extra knobs better than the ones that come installed. Shame if they no longer include them.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:30 AM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
Your scope is mounted correctly. It's the knobs that are wrong.

Use a coin to loosen the caps. Remove the caps, pull the turret knobs off and install the one that says "L" & "R" on the side. The one that says "U" & "D" goes on top.

Once you have zeroed the rifle, remove the turret knobs without disturbing the adjustments and put them on zero. Install the caps and tighten.

Rugermann...Doubs43 is correct just switch knobs...and you will be fine. That would drive me crazy too.

Signalman
Old 06-04-2019, 04:31 AM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So, no one else here besides me thinks the OP is messing with the forum for fun?
Old 06-04-2019, 06:57 AM
426NUT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssofdeath View Post
So, no one else here besides me thinks the OP is messing with the forum for fun?
Nope, the jokers always wear socks and sandals. E.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:26 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I only joke when Iím wearing house slippers

I thought the bare feet were a clue.

Ok , the scope and knobs are positioned correctly. It doesnít really matter if the knobs are switched.

Youíve probably been playing roulette with the knobs. Get them Back to the midpoint on clicks .

Put on secure rest, like a lead sled .

Pull bolt and get target centered by looking thru bore . Strap into ledsled gun must not move.Adjust knobs till target is centered in the scope. Put bolt back in. Fire shot at target adjust accordingly.

If not on paper, fire second shot see where it hits on dirt, ie line up with scope and lift your head look at target area and fire.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:42 AM
rugermann

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Thanks everyone I thought it was weird. Ok I’m excited to get this sighted in now. That was frustrating.