Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:11 PM
Raindizzle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RPRR First NRL22 Match

Hello All!
Long time lurker here. Happy new years to all! So I typically don't post questions if I can find my answers with the search bar. I recently did my first NRL22 match on 12-23-19 with my rprr. Had a blast but felt like I was super underprepared equipment wise. We shot at distances from 35-100 yards. Biggest target at 35yds I believe was 1.25" down to .25". Biggest target at 100yds was 3" down to 2.5". Out of 24 competitors I ranked 18 lol. I had the hardest time shooting in prone from 65yds out to 100yds due to the slope elevation of the course layout. So first let me start off with my equipment.

-Ruger Precision Rimfire Rifle
-Monstrum Tactical G3 6-24x50 FFP MOA scope
-Medium height scope rings
-UTG Recon Flex MLOK Bipod 5.7"-8"
-Allen bench rest bag from Walmart

So now the questions. For those who shoot nrl22 or shoot prone in general.

1. What is a good adjustable bipod height for the rprr for prone shooting for flat to sloped land features like hills and such? I'm currently running at a max 8". Past 65yds I had to lift the rifle higher to get on target. When prone shooting kyl targets at 35yds with a 5.7" height was perfect.

2. With the scope magnification that I have. Is that acceptable for nrl22 or in general out to 200-300yds (bench rest distances), or should my magnification be a lot higher? Noticed other people with magnification of 30 or higher.

3. Follow up to #2. Is a MIL reticle over an MOA better for 22lr rifles or vice versa?

4. If I switch to lower height rings, will the 50mm objective clear the handguard or will it hit?

5. Not really a big deal, but what is a good choice bag for prone shooting for the stock end especially when on the move?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Also happy to be apart of this forum. Learned a lot when it comes to 22lr information.

Also here is the video link of the match I did. Like share and subscribe! I'll be posting more shooting competitions, general shooting videos, and what not, now that I'm having more free time. You'll see that on one of the stages I used a concrete block to get me more height, and another where I need to lift my rifle in prone.

https://youtu.be/3piE6KiPVrw

-Rain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VideoCapture_20200107-151230_1578441747159.jpg (325.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-09-2020, 10:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can really only speak to question 4, as I’ve never shot NRL 22 matches. What is the exact height of your rings? I’ve got .97” Seekins rings on mine, and I’ve got maybe 2mm clearance between the objective and the hand guard
Old 01-10-2020, 02:34 AM
Raindizzle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis190 View Post
I can really only speak to question 4, as I’ve never shot NRL 22 matches. What is the exact height of your rings? I’ve got .97” Seekins rings on mine, and I’ve got maybe 2mm clearance between the objective and the hand guard
Thanks for the reply. Any info is great info. I believe my ring height is 2 inches. If you have a 50mm objective with 2mm of clearance, seekins may be something I might look into. Are you running the stock 30 MOA rail on your rifle or are you running a 0 MOA rail?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2020, 09:13 AM
pmpski_1
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've only done a couple NRL22 matches, so my answers are more opinion than anything else...

#1 - I think this is the point that your bipod didn't work perfectly. The matches I went to had awfully difficult positions in this regard. High enough that the bipod (or bag) didn't quite work. Required some creativity when trying to get stable on these stages.

#2 - Your scope should be fine. The first match I went to I used a fixed 36x. Too much as it was too hard to find my target on some of the stages. The next match I took a 2-7x. Too little as I was guessing at some of the smaller targets. I now have a 6-24 as well, but haven't gotten to a match to try it yet.

#3 - I don't see an advantage of one over the other as long as you know your dialups and holdovers. But someone more knowledgeable should be able to say for sure.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:08 PM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can only offer input on the scope rings. I'm using a side focus, 30mm tube, 50mm objective scope and my scope rings are 1/2" high. This gives about 3/32" clearance between the scope bell and hand guard. Hope this is of some help.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:19 PM
Raindizzle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpski_1 View Post
I've only done a couple NRL22 matches, so my answers are more opinion than anything else...

#1 - I think this is the point that your bipod didn't work perfectly. The matches I went to had awfully difficult positions in this regard. High enough that the bipod (or bag) didn't quite work. Required some creativity when trying to get stable on these stages.

#2 - Your scope should be fine. The first match I went to I used a fixed 36x. Too much as it was too hard to find my target on some of the stages. The next match I took a 2-7x. Too little as I was guessing at some of the smaller targets. I now have a 6-24 as well, but haven't gotten to a match to try it yet.

#3 - I don't see an advantage of one over the other as long as you know your dialups and holdovers. But someone more knowledgeable should be able to say for sure.
Thanks for the info!
#1. I figured that as a competition, they want too make it harder for us, and make us think and adapt. Which is why I think I have to figure out what would be an all around bipod after doing a couple more matches to really understand the sport. I'm more of a run and gun competitor, so this is new to me. I've also noticed people had adjustable bipod rails where they can slide the bipod close to the reciever or further out towards the barrel. What are the advantages to those? I know I should've talked to more of the competitors there but as a newbie I guess I was a little too shy lol.

#2. Yeah I think I'll stick to my 24 power. Seems like it is the right balance in magnification for my needs.

#3. I also think I will stick with MOA as I already have some knowledge with it, and will learn to be more efficient with it.

I guess I just got so caught up with these competitors that I wanted to get to that level really quick. Was really intimidated at the time. Realized I just need to take it slow, learn the system, be efficient, adapt, and then customize to my needs.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:23 PM
Raindizzle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
I can only offer input on the scope rings. I'm using a side focus, 30mm tube, 50mm objective scope and my scope rings are 1/2" high. This gives about 3/32" clearance between the scope bell and hand guard. Hope this is of some help.
Thanks this is a lot of help. This will make it easier for me when picking up rings as your scope description is the same as mine. Are you running the stock 30 MOA rail?
Old 01-10-2020, 06:39 PM
pmpski_1
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindizzle View Post
I guess I just got so caught up with these competitors that I wanted to get to that level really quick. Was really intimidated at the time. Realized I just need to take it slow, learn the system, be efficient, adapt, and then customize to my needs.
Yeah, it takes a lot of practice. A lot. And NRL22 may be difficult to practice for depending on the rules where you shoot.

The best advice will come from the people at the competition. Don't be shy. Make new friends. Ask for help, and watch what the top shooters are doing. Every competition I've gone to had plenty of time where you're just standing around waiting to shoot - perfect time for talking and learning.

The internet is great for reading up on things, but it can't beat getting to learn from someone in person, especially if you can see them shoot and you can trust they know what they're doing.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:45 PM
Raindizzle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpski_1 View Post

Yeah, it takes a lot of practice. A lot. And NRL22 may be difficult to practice for depending on the rules where you shoot.

The best advice will come from the people at the competition. Don't be shy. Make new friends. Ask for help, and watch what the top shooters are doing. Every competition I've gone to had plenty of time where you're just standing around waiting to shoot - perfect time for talking and learning.

The internet is great for reading up on things, but it can't beat getting to learn from someone in person, especially if you can see them shoot and you can trust they know what they're doing.
👍👍👍
Old 01-11-2020, 11:29 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Thanks this is a lot of help. This will make it easier for me when picking up rings as your scope description is the same as mine. Are you running the stock 30 MOA rail?
Yes.

Last edited by Arrowhead; 01-11-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:43 AM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Until recently I'd never heard of NRL matches, still don't know for sure what "NRL" stands for. I saw a YouTube (I think) video of a match on another forum, and it looks like a really tough match. Looks like a lot of fun, if you're physically able to do it. Some of the positions I saw shooters take looked like you'd almost have to be a contortionist to do them. The only position I saw where a bipod seemed to be useful was prone. The video was something like 26 minutes long and I only watched half of it, but I don't think I saw anybody hit the 1/4" swinger on the "know your limits" target. If you miss it (or any other one) you score 0 points.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:55 AM
Raindizzle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Quote:
Yes.
Sweet thank you!
Old 01-12-2020, 01:23 AM
Raindizzle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd S. View Post
Until recently I'd never heard of NRL matches, still don't know for sure what "NRL" stands for. I saw a YouTube (I think) video of a match on another forum, and it looks like a really tough match. Looks like a lot of fun, if you're physically able to do it. Some of the positions I saw shooters take looked like you'd almost have to be a contortionist to do them. The only position I saw where a bipod seemed to be useful was prone. The video was something like 26 minutes long and I only watched half of it, but I don't think I saw anybody hit the 1/4" swinger on the "know your limits" target. If you miss it (or any other one) you score 0 points.
NRL stands for "National Rile League". It was a tough match but it was a really fun one. I feel like you get to learn and adapt. I think that's the point of the match though. It makes you think outside of the box, think fast on your feet, and adapt to whatever situation you get thrown. I think that's the fun and excitement of it all. I don't think you really have to be that physically fit to do the match. We had a competitor compete also for his first time in his 70's with ankle issues. They helped modify the match for him which was cool. I believe their goal is to just get people to have fun and enjoy the art of precision shooting. When it comes to the stages, I believe point system depends on what the stage or rules are for that stage. You should go out and give it a try! Definitely excited for the next upcoming NRL22 competition. Even though I should've talked more to the competitors and get tips and tricks when I was intimidated, they were all still fun to hang with and watch!
Old 01-12-2020, 01:46 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Running the stock 30 MOA rail. I’ve attached a couple pictures to show you the clearance I’ve got.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:55 PM
Raindizzle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow that looks %%%% sexy! What vortex are your running? Also what brand pistol grip is that?