Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-29-2019, 12:58 PM
ddem
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Wrangler Keyholing

My new Wrangler is randomly keyholing first time out to the range.It isn't dirty and I tried a variety of ammos and velocities.I am shooting paper targets with a cardboard backer.Should I shoot it for awhile to see if it goes away or just give Ruger a call?

Last edited by ddem; 12-29-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I though someone else might answer. Perhaps because this is not in the single-six forum? Or a very rare problem.

I cannot think of any acceptable reason the normal 22LR std vel or hi vel 40 grain ammo would keyhole. Other than suggesting some reasons, I would say, yes contact Ruger. It is not something to watch and wait for improvement.

Reasons? Look down the barrel at rifling? Could the cylinder be way out of align when firing? I think it almost does not matter as far as sending it back. I am a little curious, in a mystery loves company way.

Last edited by fourbore; 12-29-2019 at 06:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-29-2019, 05:27 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Not right
Wont heal itself
Can you take it back and have the shop replace it?
If not, have them send it in rather than you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2019, 05:54 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Call Ruger and they will send you a call tag, you can ship(and receive it back at your home) directly. Ruger will make it right.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:00 PM
Dranrab
US Coast Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer22 View Post
Call Ruger and they will send you a call tag, you can ship(and receive it back at your home) directly. Ruger will make it right.
Ruger does do decent work the second time they work on guns. God knows they get enough practice.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:47 AM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab View Post
Ruger does do decent work the second time they work on guns. God knows they get enough practice.

Lol.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:49 AM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OP, definitely go to where you bought your Wrangler or call Ruger and get a shipping tag sent your way. Something is very wrong with your new Wrangler.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:23 PM
RickClark28

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This has peaked my interest and I am curious if the OP has a update. Curious about this mystery.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:35 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab View Post
Omg!!! That is the understatement of the world with ruger!!! I love my Rugers to death but you better get a good one right off the bat and make sure your cherry picked it off the retail counter. I had an American 450 bushmaster that went back to them four times that fell apart while shooting. Ruger kept fixing it and taking care of me but it kept falling apart and the last time through they missed two other issues that they didn’t look for because I was supposed to be the gun technician and tell him the problem to repair. The gun came back to me and I took the bolt out and the bolt stop fell out on the ground. Also the ammo would not extract when it came back so they never tested the gun after they repaired it for a different issue. They ended up trading me that gun and $110 for a Ruger scout 450 bushmaster that they built for me and sent me with bluing missing and a loose stock that would wiggle up and down in the action after it was torqued a 90 inch pounds believe it or not. That brand new gun that I haven’t shot is back to Ruger as we speak for the second time being repaired!

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-15-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:05 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
And I so wanted to hear about the Wrangler.......
Old 01-15-2020, 04:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought one yesterday. I hope mine shoots fine. After It keyholed I would already called Ruger and sent it back. You can slug the bore and measure it. Sounds like they bored it to big in diameter. Did it keyhole with one certain ammo or with several different brands? You could have received a bad batch of ammo as well.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-15-2020 at 04:08 PM.