model 61 parker hale stamped - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:31 PM
SFAL
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
model 61 British proofed

Picked up a 1953 model 61....was told it had Parker Hale "proofs" or import marks not sure...on receiver and barrel (next to ea other)...has very nice wood....also small scope blocks, rear on receiver and frt on barrel...i would assume they have been added and they hold a period weaver scope like the ones seen on JC Higgins rifles.....will post some pis soon...

wondering if these PH marked were for export to Europe
Thanks al

Last edited by SFAL; 02-04-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:08 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From what I understand, all firearms made or imported into England were/are required to pass British proof. In America, this is done by the manufacturer, but over there it has to be done by a government proof house. I don't know why it would have a Parker-Hale stamp, unless it was just to acknowledge that they had done some work on it.
I have a Browning (FN) Trombone that had Parker-Hale scope bases on it such as you describe, but no Parker-Hale stamp, just Belgian proof marks.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:47 PM
2152hq

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is the 'mark' a small square with a capital 'P' and a small 'h' intertwined forming that square?
That was their service/repair mark as well as their Logo towards the end of the companys existance in the 60's thru the early 90's.

The rifle may have been brought to them to simply have the scope blocks installed and scope mounted. The mark stamped as an indication of their work and sighting in .

It wouldn't need to have been put through Gov't proof unless the rifle was being put up for commercial sale or the repair work required the re-proof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2019, 08:16 AM
SFAL

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
its also import marked....i guess when it came back to US...will take some better pics of marks
thanks for the input...love the history.....not sure why the imgur doesnt show album link vs ea but will work on that
al

pics link https://imgur.com/unPT9XQ
https://imgur.com/GweGw1p
https://imgur.com/51UNmRB

Last edited by SFAL; 02-03-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:18 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice Model 61. Those are pretty well standard British proofs on the barrel and receiver. The NP stands for Nitro Proofed. The importers stamp on the underside of the barrel is by Duffy's of Sparks Glencoe, MD. They import and sell a lot of guns.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:02 AM
SFAL

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the info....will post pics of great stock when i get a chance....is 62 the yr that Brit work was done?....also posted a better pic of proofs
thanks al

also figured out pics
https://imgur.com/a/cqjACrz
Old 02-03-2019, 06:15 PM
2152hq

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They are London Proof House proofs.
The only other proof house in Britain would be the Birmingham Proof House.
They both follow the same rules, just use slightly different markings to ID themselves.

The Crown/GP is the Firing proof
Crown/V is the 'View' proof (visual and instrument measurment before and after firing proof)
The fact that those markings are inside circles indicates the firearm is not of English mfg.
The frame and the bbl would be stamp with these marks. Usually the bolt also.

The squiggly line box contains the marking Not English Make.
This particular marking was deleted officially by the proof rule changes of 1954,,But as here, it was occasionally still applied.

The '.22 .62 NP' marking is a proof marking added in the 1954 changes.
The .22 is the caliber]
.62' is a cartridge case length in .000" (.22LR case length)
NP is for Nitro Proof

That the rifle has this particular proof style marking it shows it went through proofing at London 1954 or after.
The 'Not English Make' marking should have been left off as it was deleted by the new rules in '54. But old habits die hard. It's not all that uncommon to see that marking on post '54 proofed guns.

I don't see anything that indicates Parker HAle on it.

The proofs were marked when the rifle was imported into England and before it could be sold commercially there. When that was,,who knows,,post 1954 is about all it shows.
The proofs have nothing to do with the more recent import mark on the bottom of the bbl. That US Importers mark was mandated by the BATF starting in 1986.

Last edited by 2152hq; 02-03-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:16 PM
SFAL

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for all in help/input.....I should have put a question mark after Parker Hale in thread title as I was told by the guy i got this from, that is what the proofs meant...

I also posted pics of the great figured stock..
Thanks again al
Old 02-05-2019, 08:07 PM
twobit

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello

I am fishing in the Bahamas right now so this will be brief. I am conducting a research survey on the 61’s. Seeing as the magazine end is collared the rifle is a relatively early vintage. Can I please get the full serial number so that I can enter it into my work? Is the muzzle face cut perfectly flat? The slide should have 11 grooves and the upper tang should be drilled and tapped for a peep sight

Thanks
Michael
Old 02-12-2019, 02:05 PM
SFAL

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
"Seeing as the magazine end is collared the rifle is a relatively early vintage"

not sure what that means....not sure if this rifle would be considered early as sn puts in 1953....muzzle is round and tang isnt drilled....will post some more pics when i get home along with the sn for your study
Thanks al
Old 02-13-2019, 09:23 AM
twobit

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAL View Post
"Seeing as the magazine end is collared the rifle is a relatively early vintage"

not sure what that means....not sure if this rifle would be considered early as sn puts in 1953....muzzle is round and tang isnt drilled....will post some more pics when i get home along with the sn for your study
Thanks al
SFAL,

When I quickly glanced at your first image it looked like the early magazines on the Model 61 which has a distinct collar at the end of the magazine as in this photo.
This feature was discontinued on standard rifle at the begining of 1936.

Sorry for the confusion.
Michael
Old 02-13-2019, 04:47 PM
SFAL

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Michael.....no worries thanks for the insight.....this is my first 61 and am trying to learn....will get sn to you first chance i have
Thanks al
Old 02-18-2019, 08:44 AM
SFAL

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
pm sent with sn...
Thanks again for the insight
al
Old 02-18-2019, 09:04 AM
twobit

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAL View Post
pm sent with sn...
Thanks again for the insight
al
Thanks so much. I have added your rifle into my data.

Michael