Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:01 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Recording Your Rifles Info ideas

How do you keep track of the info and shooting data on your rifles? I know I use to keep info in a notebook but some times I wouldn't have it with me or would forget to record it. Now I use the "Quick Memo + " app on my phone and I write comments on ammo results, work performed and bullet impact and trajectories at different ranges as well as anything else I feel is important. Now if I take a rifle out which I haven't shot in a while I always have my phone and can just look at it quick. I have recently started taking my squirrel rifles and once sighted in and I feel comfortable with the ammo I will use and the scope is adjusted where I want it, I shoot it 5rds or 4rds in the case of my SA 141m shorter mag at 25, 50 and 75 or 100yds. What ever ranges YOU feel are most commonly used but each range in a row, put the targets together with notes on them and take a picture of them. I attach it to the rifles notes so that when I go hunting I can refresh my memory on bullet impact by looking at it quick. It's just like looking at a bullet trajectory program. I have attached a picture of my 22mag targets, since doing this the errant shots have really gone away. (But if you ask I have never missed, haha) If you notice the picture gives a lot of info, rifle and optics, ammo, target results, basic weather condition and I usually right temp and wind speed on it as well. As I said I don't use cherry picked groups, I shoot one group at each range all in a row to give best info for when I hunt.

How do you keep track? I have never used a shooting app, maybe that is easier. I also use this same app to keep track of vehicle maintenance, home to do lists, health info etc, it's all right on this one app under its own entry. Examples would be;

Rifle build/accuracy.
Vehicle Maintenance
Gun Want List
Gun Purchase Info

Maybe there is a better way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180904_124224.jpg (567.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-22-2018, 12:16 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How worked up 4 speeds sheets.

Labeled:

Ammo
Session
Supplies
Weapons.

Here's a couple of screen shots.
This one is for Session info that includes date, location, what I did that day including the type of ammo, how many shots, and a running total of the firearms round count.

This one shows my Supply purchases.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 10-23-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:52 PM
snagglepuss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use one of these https://www.impactdatabooks.com/Prod...NIPERSHIDEBOOK
Have separated it into two parts...one for my .22WMR, one for my .308
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2018, 01:53 PM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use a combination of Word documents and Excel spreadsheets. The Word docs are my shooting notes for each specific day, recording date, time, weather, distance, what guns were shot, what ammo was used, overall target results, and general notes on gun performance, problems, and the results of any changes or "improvements" made to the gun prior to that session (new scope or sights, tweaked mags, etc.).

I use three types of spreadsheets, one for each day's target results, including guns used, distance, ammo types, number of groups by ammo type, and individual and overall group sizes. I have another "master" spreadsheet that lists all my rimfires, all the ammo types shot, daily target results by number of groups and overall averages for each ammo, and a summary average of each gun and ammo type. I actually have three of the "master" spreadsheets, one each for 25, 50, and 100 yard results. The final spreadsheet is to record ammo purchases, with the usual data - supplier, ammo type, price, number of rounds bought, date ordered, date received, and calculated price per brick including shipping.

NOTE: Calculate the totals for number of rounds bought and amounts paid only at your own risk; the total round counts can be shocking enough, but the total cost can be heart-stopping after several years....

Last edited by cabin22; 10-22-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:39 PM
JDWinCO

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I use my Word and Excel to create all I need, though I may be a little carried away with it. One thing I have learned in life is to document at your best, sooner or later you will want that one piece of information that you didn’t jot down.

First is a gun inventory with several pictures and then a description of the gun along with any modifications. I include what scope, sling, number of magazines also note (obviously) the serial number, when and where purchased.

22’s have a shooting log of what ammo with dates. If I shoot that ammo for “record” several times then I create an average for that load.

Centerfires I keep a log book on ammo I reload, I also serial number factory loads the same as I do my reloads.
Then there is the shooting log for each gun, what has worked what needs to be done (usually shoot more).

Around 9 or so years back I got to wanting to make these logs, looked at data books offered, asked around other shooters who make diaries of their stuff. So my stuff has dates, times, where, weather, clear/cloudy, wind, direction, target, in general every little detail I can think of was on my forms at the beginning. This has been trimmed down and still probably more than I need but it only takes a little time.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:06 PM
Slowalkintexan

Texas' beautiful hill country, Michigan's golden left coast.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use

....myArmsCache,
Old 10-24-2018, 09:35 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowalkintexan View Post
....myArmsCache,
Thanks for that suggestion . . . going to give it a try.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:29 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
To bad they don't have an Android version.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I keep a notebook on everyone of my firearms. Mostly for shot counts, for the when/if i decide to sell. "How many rounds do you have through it?" Seems to be a pretty common question.

My shotguns, I hand load, so I am looking for patterns based on chokes from 10-50m. I will write down the % within a 30" circle, based on load, yardage and choke.

Centerfires, I dont shoot bench matches anymore. I grew tired of chasing the Accuracy Dragon's. I have a couple of pet loads for the 223/260/308 and they are good enough to make a humane kill on most of the game animals on this continent.

The rimfire books, again mostly a shot count thing and what ammo/lots they shoot the best.
I have conceded to CCI and SK Magazine for plinking and have purchased enough to keep busy, for a couple of decades worth of plinking. Of course my son is only 3, so I may need to put back a couple more cases, while the case price is still cheap.
Hunting ammo is the same. Some Eley and RWS SSHP. As, well as some RWS HVHP's that shoot really well in my 3, 22's.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:27 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm an antique and use an antique method, note books. They never need charged, are always turned on, and are kept where they are handy when I want one.