Ruger GP 100 in .22LR gets new furniture, front sight - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Ruger GP 100 in .22LR gets new furniture, front sight

I posted about a first day at the range lst week with a new Ruger GP100 in .22LR. Two things I wasn't crazy about, just from a personal point of view. First off, I didn't like the factory grips. They were close to the right size, I just didn't like the look of them. So I swapped them out for a set of Altamont wooden grips that kind of remind me of the way S&W does their grips. I know, I know . . . the GP100 is a Ruger and I should just make my peace with that. But I like the new grips. They look like this:

I also did not like the fat "light pipe" front sight. It read to me as round only -- I couldn't see the sides of the front sight surround. So I swapped for a Novak brass bead type sight.

Looks like this:

The front sight was a BEAR to get off. I dinged up a brass punch and didn't even get the thing to budge. Yes, I was trying to drift left-to-right, but still. Chucked the barrel up in a sturdy vise with rubber jaw-protectors. Tried tapping with a 1 lb. hammer. Tried whaling with a 3-lb. orange plastic mallet. All's that happened was that the round brass punch developed a Novak-sight-base shaped dent. Finally, I took it to a gunsmith who has a persuasive manner. He hit it with some Kroil, tried a 1911 "sight-pusher" (no joy), and then wound up grinding down a brass punch to fit the Ruger dove tail and letting fly with a really big hammer. The original Novak came off, but doesn't even show that it was stressed. Kids, this falls into the "only try at home if you know what you are doing" category. My smith charged $45 for the service, which seems cheap to me for solving a problem that it was clear I wasn't going to solve myself. I'd have purchased the first sight pusher I saw on the Interwebs and then still would have had to find some new Anglo-Saxon . .. creative language learning. Next week I will see if I am a better shot with the small bead than with the large fiber optic .

Last edited by flangster; 07-13-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:37 AM
1engineer89

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I dont own one, my brother does, but I love the gp100 in 22. Definitely, get the bezee speed loader kit for it. I bought it for my brother for Christmas, and he can't thank me enough.