Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:10 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New companion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
Around here the BL-22 grade two is abut $700 new. So $475 to me is very reasonable. It would make a nice companion for the Henry and Marlin. ALL the BL-22's are Japanese made ( I believe). They are very well made.
Well against all practical reason ,I bought it. It’s a 1976 ( RT 226). Brought it home cleaned 30 years of dust bunnies and old oil out , gosh I love Gun scrubber balistoled it from crown to butt pad, ran a bore brush , patches and a swam three the barrel and dry lubed the bolt and interior of the receiver. I don’t think this gun was ever shot! No powder residue at all, no black patches or q tips , nada. Only some dark oilon the bolt that came off with a nylon brush.

So I looked at it a lot, a small ding in the beautiful wood her and there, one mar on the plastic barrel band , gone in a second with a sharpie.NIB ,except no box.Action is smooth and trigger not bad . Like every other browning trigger I have touched, no creep,heavy pull,break and wall no over travel use will lighten the pull.

Then I noticed the short , short , short receiver and dovetail rail, and thought how am I going to get a scope on this? Watched you tube, and all I saw was wired set ups where the rings were doubled up one one side of the turrets. Looked goofy to me. So I got out the little 4x scope I intended to use, waiting for the Leupold rifleman rings to arrrive, eyeballed the eye relief , the length of the scope rail and lop and determined that although I could get it on in normal fashion , a ring on either side of the turrets that it was unusable and the scopes too small to one side the rings.So ok what do I do, a bigger longer scope seemed the only answer. I didn’t want to do that.Not that I mind a telescope since rifle scope on my bench guns,but on afield gun they are cumbersome. Then I remember my first scope,a 2x 7 Tasco looong And thin , dug it out cleaned it up and it fit the gun ,and my eye.its pretty beat up , so I getting a new one. 17 bucks on amazon, or should I spring 20 bucks for the silver version it’s called a “Hammer” , just to pretty it up?
Old 08-10-2018, 09:59 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Toomany22s,
Would love you to post a picture of it with the scope on it. I have a red dot on my Micro Midas. Would love to see the rifle. Congratulations on her.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:44 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking Iíd love to post a 100 pictures.

And will, but it is a pia. I only get one picture ,I have to delete that picture to post a new picture. This is the weirdest forum on the planet. The members are super great but the administrators/ owners refuse to take money and/or fix the problem.

Iíd use imagure but it also involves twenty clicks and I have to put the ap on my tablet yada yada yada.

I have noticed that the advertisers are still able to put up ads and pictures etc at will. So Iím betting that thatís enough money to keep this thing afloat.and that they donít want to spend a dime fixing our problems. Also if we pay dues we can avoid the adds,bad for advertising revenue.

Maybe we should contact the advertisers and tell them we wonít buy anything until they make the forum fix our problems. Yeah thatís the ticket!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2018, 11:10 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Try using the "Manage Attachments" feature, like I am right now. If you resize your pics to a smaller size you can store a heck of a lot more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manage Attachments.JPG (107.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-10-2018, 05:04 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I use image shack. Easy and only cost $4 a month
Old 08-10-2018, 08:54 PM
gkn

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
So ok what do I do, a bigger longer scope seemed the only answer.
You're probably not really looking for alternatives to consider, but I use an aperture on the receiver (Williams WGRS54? and a Lyman AUG17? globe front sight with inserts if I recall correctly. I'm not at home to verify those models as I write this), and it works great for me on this wonderful little plinking machine.
gkn
Old 08-11-2018, 09:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red face Coming soon to a post near you.

I’m still keeping my one picture alive over on the 1022 forum, but a soon as that thread is dead my Brownings in tandem will be pictured here.

I was just perusing this thread, and saw my previous post , referring to the weight of the Browning and Marlin as detrimental. So I’m an idiot. It’s not the first or last time that will be true.

Yes I love my Henry H001Y. My 1956 Marlin 39a is a fine Gun. But it is big, I’d trade it for a Mounty in a flash.

But my new to me 1976 BL 22 is better than both. Today at range I ran shorts , it takes 22 in the tube,got it zeroed at 50 yards with the old cloudy Tasco 20 mm 3X7, and it was sublime.The action was smooth short and quick,and the trigger crisp. No it wasn’t the 6 oz masterpiece like on my CZ 453 Varmint SST , But it was better than I needed it to be.With all that hand movement on a lever gun the hand muscles are already pretensioned by the time I get to pulling the trigger so weight has little or no effect on my pull. It’s got little or no creap and no overtravel , or none that I can feel after having thrown the lever and retracting it. I guess if I waited long enough after running the lever I could notice it, but that’s not how I shoot a lever gun.

I did run some 22lr thu it after I ran out of 22 shorts.And after I stopped short shucking them they too shot fine.

So since I have not held or shot a Winchester 9422 my ranking would be.

1. BL 22
2 Henry H001Y
3. Marlin 39a,only because it’s heavy, it is very accurate

On another note I also have recently aquired a new to me Marlin 1894 in 357 magnum. That went to the range today too.it had aFP Williams peep sight . Scope and base on there way!it too is a fine gun , but iron sights , even peeps aren’t for me.4 inch groups but I had to use binoculars to see them.

Soon to come a picture of the BL 22 and my Norinco ATD with the disparaged weaver scope mount maybe with the Marlin 39 a and the Henry Youth.
As soon as the excitement over my other picture of 1022s looses audience appeal.If only I could post more than one picture easily, like say I could pay dues and get more storage then you wouldn’t have to wait up at night .

Last edited by Toomany22s; 08-11-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:19 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Toomany22's,
One thing I really like on the BL-22 is the short lever throw. Don't you like the way all you have to do is open the hand and close it. That's all that is needed on that lever throw. I was shooting my 1980 Browning BL-22 today along with my Henry SGR. I have noticed that some times my lever is hard to close with some ammo. Mainly, no not mainly but all the time I notice it the lever is hard to close on Remington Golden Bullets and Thunderbolts. I think my head spacing is tight for the Remington brand, but that is the only brand that I notice it with.

I can see why you rate them the way you do. Like I said I really struggle to rate them any different at all. They all have different things that I like about them. They are all great rifles to shoot, and if I could I would really rate them all even, I really like, Love all of them.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Short throw!

Yep I like it the best. I have only run a few rounds of 22lr thu it. And I noticed it was more resistant to chamber loading that vs the shorts I was previously using. As I prefer shorts from a lever gun, my Henry likes them too itís probably only going to see shorts from now on.they cycle so quick with minimal effort . I have not shot shorts out of the Marlin but I donít see how the action could be any better, itís like butter now with 22 Lr.

Golden bullets and thunderbolts are ok , but now that the ammo shortage is over use those in the model 60 , buy some CCI shorts for the lever gun , you will be amazed. 22 in the tube! Hot ones , quiet ones, really quiet ones,itís a whole new world of ammo.

Yes if you killing critters. Use the velocitors or Winchester hyper 40 grain. But for fun can beat the shorts.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question How do I resize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWolf View Post
Try using the "Manage Attachments" feature, like I am right now. If you resize your pics to a smaller size you can store a heck of a lot more.
I donít see a resize icon in manage your attachments
Old 08-14-2018, 09:43 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
That, you have to do yourself.
I use Image Resizer, but there are others.

https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/
Old 08-16-2018, 12:37 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thatís what my mom told me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWolf View Post
That, you have to do yourself.
https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/
Now that they have graciously given us all more storage Iím just happy posting big pics. Tomorrow, I plan a big shoot, a photo shoot,of all my recent work. Just have to get it set up.

Last edited by Toomany22s; 07-20-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:54 AM
Sfoster4

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbob View Post
I own 3 of the 4.

I have a Marlin 39a, a Browning BL-22 and a Winchester 9422. I have never had an opportunity to fire the Henry.

I would rank that actions on my 3 as:

1. Winchester 9422
2. Browning BL-22
3. Marlin 39a

Actually I probably prefer the short throw action of the BL-22 over the Winchester. However, the finish on the wood on the Browning has a 'plastic look' to it that, at least to my eye, really diminishes the rifle. It is a constant battle for me to resist the urge to try to strip it and refinish it as raw, well oiled wood.

The Marlin isn't more than a hair behind and truthfully is probably just as, if not more accurate, that the Winchester or Browning.

JMHO

Bob
I have 3 of the 4. I donít have the Winchester and just got the BL-22 FLD Grade II Octagon. I had exactly the same impression about the Ďplastic lookí of the wood and was disappointed. I have a Grade IV SA-22 and it is beautiful and absolutely looks like wood.

I just got the BL-22 on Monday through and online dealer. I found a scratch on the bottom just behind the lever. I called the dealer and they are going to send me another set of furniture. I might refinish the original set with an oiled wood finish.

Scott
Old 08-24-2018, 10:24 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile Iím no expert but...

On the spare set of wood , to get rid of the high gloss that you donít like, instead or stripping and oiling, you could just lightly sand the poly finish , and re poly with satin or Matt poly,that way you keep the hardness of the original finish, not open the pores, and still get that real wood look that you desire.And a lot less work.

Me I like shiny, so Iím keeping mine the way it came.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:54 AM
Sfoster4

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I think I like your idea. I had not thought of that. Probably buff it first with a very fine steel wool to remove the shine.