Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:42 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
BWstickman,

If you ever get a Browning you may or may not like the 33 degree throw on the lever. Me I Love it. Another thing that stands out on the Browning's is the Magazine tube and the way they operate. You do not have to twist a pin from the slot as with all the other magazine tubes. Browning has a button that you push and the tube separates and when done filling just push the tube back in until you hear the click. No slot or hook to find. Not knocking the others because they are good also and have worked for years. But the Browning's is really nice and convenient.

I love the short throw too. I can flick in a new round without taking my hand off the wrist of the stock. Can't do that with my Marlin or Winchester. I was able to get my trigger down to about 3#, a big improvement. I wrote up a thread detailing the procedure.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:08 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WoW!

Jstan,

That BL22 is one of the most well worn specimens I've ever seen. Looks like it's been riding on the back of a pickup through some pretty heavy rainstorms over salty roads. How is the inside of the barrel? The outside looks like it's developing some pitting.....rc
Old 07-13-2018, 12:21 PM
bangbang
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
im sure what the person feels and thinks is great.

but what it comes down to is that its just one persons opinion and ranking. i didnt see what or how he came up with his choices. maybe a roll of the dice?

Last edited by bangbang; 07-13-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2018, 12:40 PM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Well, here are my rankings, for what they are worth (I don't own a Henry):

Shootability
1. Marlin 39A
2. Browning BL-22, FLD Octagon
3. Winchester 9422

Build Quality
1. Winchester 9422
3. Marlin 39A

Looks
1. Browning BL-22, FLD Octagon
2. Marlin 39A
3. Winchester 9422

Historical Significance
1. Marlin 39A
2. Winchester 9422
3. Browning BL-22, FLD Octagon

Trigger
1. Marlin 39A
3. Winchester 9422

Accuracy
1. Marlin 39A
3. Winchester 9422
Old 07-13-2018, 03:31 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
When I bought that old rifle I was at my LGS and just ordered a new one. I picked that old rifle up and the price was $385 I think. Look at the salesman and asked if he new how bad shape it really was. Pointed out that it had the barrel drilled for scope rail, receiver drilled for Williams sights, the rear sight was missing, the barrel band was broken, the stock completely scratched up. He sold it to me for $275. I took it home cleaned it and rebuilt the inside with all new parts. Replaced the broken barrel band put screw plugs in the barrel drilled holes. Bought a Williams peep sight for it, replaced the rear sight, cut down the stock and refinished it to look older. The barrel is in good shape. It is my favorite rifle to shoot now. Even over my new BL-22 Micro Midas. I absolutely love that old thing. It was made in 1980 and definitely had a hard life before me. But she is a shooter and just a joy to shoulder. I take her out every trip to my range, I have only shot the new BL-22 twice.

Funny how things work out and grow on you.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:30 AM
22 Matt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think most people will find that different guns will fit and handle differently from person to person.
Of the three lever .22's I have, I would rank them:
Browning BL22, recent manufacture.
Marlin Mountie, 1965.
Winchester 9422, 1977.
They are all quality guns, and shoot well. Although I find the 9422 to be the least accurate, but that might jut be the way the gun fits me.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:59 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
jstan, that was certainly a labor of love. I can't believe they still wanted that much money for it given the amount of abuse it had taken before you. I had fondled the 94/22 micro in the late 90s and early 2000s wishing they were cheaper than the $450+ they were asking. I also admired the Marlin 39TDS. I am interesting in picking up one of the Micro Browning BL22s one day. Does anyone know how much shorter the stock is than on a standard model?
Old 07-14-2018, 12:08 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have several 94-22s, Marlin 39A/1897, one Bl-22 and one Henry.
The Henry is a good “value” mainly because the Winchester and Marlin are not available and are becoming collector pieces.

The BL-22 is also a good value especially when they have a rebate.

I have owned the Winchesters and Marlins for many years. The Marlin is the grandfather of all of them. The 94-22 is very similar to the model 61 with a lever and exposed hammer. I rate the two about equal.

I had shot a BL-22 decades before I bought one. I got an early one in excellent condition and couldn’t turn it down. I appreciated it a lot more once I owned it and got used to it. I rate it third.

The Henry is a great option if the others aren’t available. Remember, it was around as the Irma way back in the 1970s, when the others were all available. Back then it wasn’t considered to be in the same league. Today, with limited availability, it has become much more popular.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:48 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
rc,
I have the Micro Midas also. It is a 12" length of pull. I believe the standard BL-22 to be 14" length of pull.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:43 PM
284wahoo
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I'm a bit surprised by some of the opinions I've read on this thread, but that's what makes it entertaining. I see some good reasoning with some, but mostly I'm seeing diversity of tastes with the ones that surprise me, I think. My list goes this way:

#1. Early Marlin 39A, standard model. Have a 1951 model with Ballard bbl. Also had a nice Century Limited, but sold it because it was too small for my taste, and too nice to be relegated as a barn gun. Both models appeal to me most, for their robust build quality, and the standard model feels and handles like a grown-up's gun.
#2. Winchester 9422, because I've heard so much good things about their build quality and that they are robust like the Marlins are. Have never owned or even held one. I think they are not as good looking as the Marlins though.
#3. Browning BL-22. Own an early model that belonged to my father, and I found it in his shop after he passed away. It looked rough, all the blue worn off, but the stock in decent shape. I stripped it down, replaced faulty parts, had it reblued. Now I love it. Is a lot of fun to shoot, but too small over all for my taste. Makes a perfect barn gun. Waiting for a set of Skinner sites to come in for it. I know it's a very accurate little thing, just need to see the irons better. It is well made, but does not strike me as robust as the Marlins.
#4. Henry. Own a Golden Boy. It functions rather slick, but it does not have the durable materials and finish I appreciate in the others. I also do not like it's looks as well as the others. Even though it comes in last on my list, wish I had had one when I was just starting out, instead of that single shot Stevens my dad paid $5 for. Well, maybe not...

For those who like the little rifles, you should do yourself a favor, and handle a Marlin 39A Century Limited!

Last edited by 284wahoo; 07-19-2018 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:44 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
284wahoo,
Sounds like a reasonable way to list them. I will be able to better remake my list soon. I just purchased a 1955 Marlin Mountie due in this Saturday or Monday from the FFL that I purchased it from. I also purchased a 1978 Winchester 9422 XTR that will be in the first week of August. The FFL that I purchased that rifle from is on vacation until July 31 so can't send it until that Monday.

All though this will be my 3rd. Mountie over the last twenty years I was stupid and gotten rid of the first two. I am really into lever 22's right now so this one will stick around. can't wait to give it another try around my steel plates, to me the first two that I had were not that accurate mainly because I was just target shooting at the time probably punching paper. I have more reasonable expectations at this point for a lever gun and steel plates are what I mainly shoot now.

The Winchester I have never even seen in person over my 55 years so I have never even held one. I've sold some trees off my property to finally allow me to buy this one. Very excited to see what it will be like. I bought pristine versions of both rifles and the wait continues till they come in.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:49 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ok guy's / Gal's

I finally have all my lever rifles in and can make my own list on the way I prefer them. I will say they are all hard to pick from. I really struggle picking them at all. One reason is that my rifles are all set up different. Have different sights on almost all of them. I am 55 years old almost 56 and my eye's are not like a young mans or as sharp as they use to be. I have shorten the stocks on all to 12" length of pull, perfect for me. Really I could call them all even because they are all loved and all are fun to shoot. They are all excellent rifles and I enjoy them all. Really just depends on what I feel like shooting that day.

Here is my ranking

1. 1955 Marlin 39A has a clunky action but that is the way it was designed. This is one solid rifle, and the rifling (Micro Rifling) in this rifle is like new. Really see the lands and groves easily. To me it is the most beautiful rifle of all of them.

2. 1978 Winchester XTR, this is a really well made rifle also. Solid like the Marlin. Probably the only reason this rifle is below the Marlin for me is that the Marlin is predrilled for Williams peep sights. The Winchester is not. Other than that they are very closely matched. Even as the accuracy goes they are equal. I use straight Winchester sights that came on this rifle.

3. Browning BL-22 Grade 1 (because that is what I have) The Browning is below the other two because you really have to function the lever with a little more authority or they can jam by not lifting the round all the way. I have two of these rifles and the trigger on my 1980 is a lot better than the 2018 model. The new model has a very stiff trigger. I use Williams peep sights on the 1980 model (someone drilled it for those sights before I bought the rifle) Very accurate for me. The newer model I have a red dot (Millet 2 MOA) just for something different. Also very accurate.

4. Henry small game rifle 2018 model. This rifle is on the bottom mainly because it was not made a strong or heavy as the other three. I would love to Henry make a all steel SGR even if it was $800 I would buy one. The small game rifle comes with Skinner sights on the receiver. I ended up putting a Lyman globe sight on the front to get the height that I need to get the rifle to shoot at point of aim at 25 yards. It is very fun to shoot and very accurate as well.

Henry SGR

Winchester XTR 9422

Marlin 39 M

Browning BL-22 Grade 1 ( Pawn Shop Save Great Rifle though)

Last edited by jstanfield103; 08-06-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:27 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question I have an opportunity?

The lgs has a bl22grade2 classic , used no box , clean and scratch and ding free, for $ 470.00. The price is reasonable but no bargain, if it had been $400 I would have bought it on the spot. It’s a Japanese browning.

I have a Marlin 39a (1956)and I have a Henry H001Y both are great shooters, I shoot the Henry better because it’s 3/4 the size of the .Marlin so for me it’s a better field gun.The only time a lever gun sees the bench is the day or two I sight the scope in.Yes I use scopes on lever guns, sometimes on hand guns too!

I want this rifle. But I don’t know why.It won’t do anything extra for me. But it’s pretty, and it’s a Browning . So is that enough?:co nfused:

Last edited by Toomany22s; 08-07-2018 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Spellink
Old 08-08-2018, 04:39 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Around here the BL-22 grade two is abut $700 new. So $475 to me is very reasonable. It would make a nice companion for the Henry and Marlin. ALL the BL-22's are Japanese made ( I believe). They are very well made.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:03 AM
Phish4one

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a couple of 39A and newer BL 22 in my time. Marlin 39A is my favorite overall but the BL22 is possibly the best fun plinker you can get but not quite as accurate. Never seen many reasonable priced Winchester so no experience on them. I did sell the BL22 but regretted it but I buy another one when the opportunity arise again. The Henry SGR is a very nice rifle that I wouldn't mind having also. None would ever displace my 39A.