Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:20 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Range Reports???

WELCOME to the brand new Ruger MKIV Forum!!!

We're only 2 days into this new pistol's release and I'm already tired of the "Raw Raw" hype.... I want range reports!!!

How do these new pistols work? Do they work as well as everybody has been hoping? Post your experiences! We all want to know!
Old 09-24-2016, 03:01 AM
FredVK
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22plinkster, YouTube, said he ran 2000 rounds through the two he had. Said the trigger was a bit heavy but we all know the aftermarket will take care of that. And of course that way slick takedown. All of one second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqbiyPMA7CE
Old 09-24-2016, 04:24 AM
Lexspeed
US Navy Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just hope that Ruger did their home work and through testing on this new model and that it is not a 'beta' version. Thus far the reports are fantastic.

I have seen manufacturers introduce a new model only to encounter design glitches that get corrected in a revised model the following year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2016, 04:34 AM
JStacy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Jeff Quin, Gun Blast, had some data for 25 yard groups? Did not say if they were shot with open sights, which would have been good groups , or shot wit a scope , which would have been OK groups. With the attachment of the upper to the lower it seems like there could be some looseness by design?
Old 09-24-2016, 10:39 AM
The Hen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rear sight mounted on receiver, front sight mounted on barrel with a screw holding it altogether to keep the sight picture and bullet on intended path. Now the Victory is Looseness By Design.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:39 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexspeed View Post
I just hope that Ruger did their home work and through testing on this new model and that it is not a 'beta' version. Thus far the reports are fantastic.

I have seen manufacturers introduce a new model only to encounter design glitches that get corrected in a revised model the following year.
First, lets consider what's actually different about the Ruger Mark IV and should have been thoroughly tested.

1) The push button, tilt opening, of the upper?

2) The ambidextrous safety?

3) The lack of a "Loaded Chamber Indicator"?

4) I'd like to have seen what that trigger on the "patent" drawing was all about.

These pistols have just started to hit distributors shelves, I have one on order from the largest Ruger distributor there is, and they are in Prescott, AZ.

I don't anticipate that there's many internal parts in the grip frame that have changed, as the Ruger Mark III works extremely well and that SUPER magazine latch/release has won over the hearts and minds of the more experienced Ruger Mark pistol shooters who frequent these forums. KUDO's to Ruger for ridding a now improved pistol of that ridiculous LCI. And also to the Amin and Mod who got the ball rolling on the new forum in blazing speed.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:46 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post

WELCOME to the brand new Ruger MKIV Forum!!!

We're only 2 days into this new pistol's release and I'm already tired of the "Raw Raw" hype.... I want range reports!!!

How do these new pistols work? Do they work as well as everybody has been hoping? Post your experiences! We all want to know!
You load a magazine with .22 rimfire ammunition, shove the magazine up and into the grip frame. Pull the bolt backward and let it fly forward. Pull the trigger ten times. Repeat the previous process
Old 09-24-2016, 12:09 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
You load a magazine with .22 rimfire ammunition, shove the magazine up and into the grip frame. Pull the bolt backward and let it fly forward. Pull the trigger ten times. Repeat the previous process
Does it work well with any .22lr ammo, or is it just another "Picky Patty" pistol?

I did ask for people to post their experiences, not just WAG.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:25 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
Does it work well with any .22lr ammo, or is it just another "Picky Patty" pistol?

I did ask for people to post their experiences, not just WAG.
If I get my Ruger Mark IV before you get yours..............I'll be sure to post an accurate, thoughtful, insightful and fully professional, review incorporating all of my years of experience in working on these pistols. I don't do WAG's, just factual reports with pictures.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:43 PM
FredVK
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
If I get my Ruger Mark IV before you get yours..............I'll be sure to post an accurate, thoughtful, insightful and fully professional, review incorporating all of my years of experience in working on these pistols. I don't do WAG's, just factual reports with pictures.
We would expect nothing less. Looking forward to it. Hopefully we won't see anything like the rear latch failing and the upper flying off into the weeds

Last edited by FredVK; 09-24-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:22 PM
cableguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's my concern as well.
Hope the single button take down isn't it's Achilles heal.
Hate to see the upper to lower fit be compromised for ease of take down.
Looks like potential for some play between the two halves after some use and repeated disassembles.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:47 PM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

10 rounds of CCI SV at 25 yards off hand.

Numerous failure to eject, with at least four different brands of ammunition.
I'm not sure what the cause is. I suspect a sharp extractor will solve that. It's on the to do list.

I did bring some cleaning supplies, in an effort to 'season' the barrel.
I shot 325 Federal AM, 100 CCI Blazers, 100 CCI SV, 50 Aguila SE, 20 Stingers, and 10 CCI Supressor.

The Federal, Aguila, CCI Blazers and CCI SV, all seemed to fail to eject at about the same rate.

No failures with the CCI Supressor, or the Stingers.

Accuracy is about what I expected. Great.
The rear sight began to drift on to the right on me, causing my POI to change, initially. Beat that puppy back where it belonged, and tightened the screw. I'm going to change that screw out from a flat head, to a allen screw.

The trigger is definitely acceptable, but there is much room for improvement.

Two things Ruger could have done better.

Serialize the lower. This ship has sailed. Not going to happen.

Supply a rail for an optic with the pistol. This is something Ruger does with most of it's other products. It's the same rail as is provided with a Mk III.

Ruger hit a homerun with the ease of takedown. EVERYBODY at the range LOVED that feature. It remained tight the entire range session, an I have not found a detraction to this feature yet.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:16 PM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStacy View Post
Jeff Quin, Gun Blast, had some data for 25 yard groups? Did not say if they were shot with open sights, which would have been good groups , or shot wit a scope , which would have been OK groups. With the attachment of the upper to the lower it seems like there could be some looseness by design?
I believe he used a Ransom rest to eliminate the human factor as much as possible.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:20 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Brand ~NEW~ pistol, I would expect as much. The springs that have been installed in that pistol are new. New spring are made "extra" long until they develop the working length of their design. My recommendation has always been to break in a new pistol with "high velocity" .22 rimfire ammunition, at least for several hundred rounds until the springs develope their working "SET". I'll prove that when the one I ordered arrives.

Try using some CCI Mini-Mags, at least 400 rounds, and then use the Standard velocity to see how the pistol functions. I have every belief that the new Mark IV will require the same so-called break-in routine that the Ruger Mark I, II & III pistols have needed when they also were new.

BTW................I like the [email protected]@K's of your new pistol, but I did need to turn my monitor upside down.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:26 PM
jaird
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Questions

dbmjr1,

Did you field strip, clean and lube before shooting? If not, what preparation? If you did lube, what lube? Just curious as I am interested in buying a 22/45 model with threaded barrel when they are available.
BTW thanks for the great post.