Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Ruger Mark IV

62K views 282 replies 112 participants last post by  BKDinTexas 
#1 ·
Mark IV?

These pictures have been floating around on the internet recently and you guys are the Ruger experts, so is this legit? They supposedly came from http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/08/daniel-zimmerman/coming-soon-ruger-mark-iv-22-pistol/ but it seems to have been deleted. Even the cache is gone.

An elaborate forgery? An answer to the Victory? Something for shot show next year or the new unannounced product? Sorry if this has been posted before, I didn't see a thread.

See less See more
#83 ·
YAWN ! ( Sez the guy with thirty High Standards and a couple of Colts ) :D
Com'on JVS(!) ;),- we do need really hope this newer iteration Ruger provides as much fun & accuracy as those older HS's and Colts we were able to acquire when they were semi-affordable.

Lookin' at the pics, it makes one wonder how it could NOT shoot and that it is more accessible for cleaning?? Methinks it is VERY attractive.. on multiple fronts. Heck, we haven't hardly let 'em open the gate, let alone seen how the cowboys may ride this new entry to a good score. Me? I'm hoping they all do. :bthumb:

#86 ·
I just wish they had serialized the lower, instead of the upper.:rolleyes:
With no way to combine other Mk's it only made sense.
But, at least they got rid of the LCI and put the Lawyer Speak on the bottom of the barrel.

Bolt slingshots too.

#77 ·
I've got mine.

Trigger pull measures at 5#6oz. Three try avarage with a digital gauge.
Already modified it, as we RFC'rs must, by removing the ambi safety.:D
Trigger breaks clean, but lot's of over travel. Will drill and tap the trigger on Monday for a screw.

Will shoot a box of Fed AM through it Sunday.

#81 ·
Already modified it, as we RFC'rs must, by removing the ambi safety.:D
Trigger breaks clean, but lot's of over travel. Will drill and tap the trigger on Monday for a screw.
The right side safety hits my index finger joint in just the wrong place. It's got to go!

I hope there's a plan to eliminate the mag disconnect soon. And I'll be installing an exact edge extractor too.

#84 ·
Same here, and the wood grips are great too, on the Hunter. I had my choice, and the sights decided it for me, in the end. Hoping for some cool thumb rest after market grips soon.

The right side safety hits my index finger joint in just the wrong place. It's got to go!

I hope there's a plan to eliminate the mag disconnect soon. And I'll be installing an exact edge extractor too.
The grips hold in the safety, and the screw. Just take off the grip, remove the safety lever, reinstall the screw, then put the grip panel back on.:t

Mag disconnect doesn't bother me, as it's not a defensive weapon. If it improves the trigger, I'll do it, if not, I'll leave it alone. Mags shoot out under spring power. :D

#89 ·
They did. It's cool, too. The walnut grips were very handsome as well.

I didn't like the sights. The balance felt a little better on the 'Target' too. Finally, it was considerably less expensive.

I'm hoping someone quickly makes some target grips with a thumb rest, and an improved trigger/sear.

#92 ·
I call that a huge improvement.....if the pistol shoots as accurately as the old ones. Never had trouble taking one down......now that putting them back together part....has something to do with the stars being in the right alignment. LCI gone....good. I just sold my MKIII target a few months ago...got what I paid for it....will have to look into the MK IV. Now if only Ruger did it right....all of it. M1911

#104 ·
Having been paid to put some of these back together, I think that I can confidently say yes. That and the fact that it remains a highly desirable gun only increases the likelihood that those with and without the mechanical ability to disassemble and reassemble the gun will purchase it. Personally, I did not like the MKIII. Had I found a nice MKII like the one I used to have, I "would" have bought it. I say would because who wouldn't want the added ease of the disassembly/ reassembly process with the new MKIV?

Brent

#102 ·
Doctor Doom

I am sure the MKIV is going to be a great selling handgun. I for one am not going to buy one. I have 8 Ruger auto's and don't need another. The MKIV will be great for someone who has a fear of taking the older ones apart and putting them back together.

#111 · (Edited)
:yeahthat:

I am sure the MKIV is going to be a great selling handgun. I for one am not going to buy one.
Good! That means more for me! ;)

Without doubt, I'm going to buy one. Not right now, though. Prices are high in anticipation of high demand. I expect as the calendar turns the prices will go down, Ruger will address any faults the users identify, and the aftermarket supply of upgraded internals will improve.... that's when I'll buy mine.

I have 8 Ruger auto's and don't need another.
I have but one rimfire semi-auto, that being a BuckMark I bought after I sold the 22/45 I detested.

The MKIV will be great for someone who has a fear of taking the older ones apart and putting them back together.
Not fear; disgust. You can go on and on about how easy it was once you got the hang of it if you would like but from my point of view it was an absolutely ridiculously complicated process that made a proper cleaning a far from pleasant task. Combine that with the too skinny grip of the 22/45 and the non-replaceable grip panels on the older model I had and there wasn't a tear shed when it went down the road. Nay. In fact there was a tiny little spark of joy as the money in hand almost immediately turned into a Browning.

But with the redesign involved in the Mark IV I'll have the ease of care combined with the Ruger advantages of a sights mounted directly to receiver- barrel assembly instead of some bridge attaching barrel to action. Add in the grip angle and replaceable grip panels and I'm happy. IMO Ruger is on track for a real market winner which is what matters to them. Sounds like win-win to me.

So, while I'm glad you're content with your older models I'm looking forward to getting the redesigned version in my hands. Horses for courses, as they say. :bthumb:

#106 ·
Ruger

:bthumb:hit the nail on the head with the MK IV, the FIRST really new and innovative thing to come from them in a LONG TIME! I AM one of "those people" who hates taking apart the ruger pistols.:eek::eek: no reason for it to be as difficult as it is.:( I WILL probably buy a MK IV as soon as the buying frenzy dies down. I have always liked these pistols and have owned them in the PAST. I am so glad to see that ruger has stepped up and did something really new.

#107 ·
Maybe Ruger is becoming like Apple, every time a new one comes out a line forms to get one. I would be happy if they just spent a few dollars polishing their internals so they were good right out of the box like they use to be. But we all know it is about sales and laws.

Still I am pretty fond of mine :)

#108 ·
Always interested to see a new design. I wonder how long it will be before we see frames, barrels etc. from VQ and the rest of the aftermarket crowd. I have two Mk II's that I really like and a 22/45 that runs well, but which has less curb appeal than the Mk II's, and a VQ LLV that sits on a 22/45 frame. Maybe this will be a chance to pick up a Mk III grip frame for the LLV at a reasonable price

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.