Could anything be done to Thunderbolts to prevent leading? - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:15 PM
fuzebox40

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntingmiester View Post
Well if ya roll a turd in peanuts and dip it in chocolate, is it still a turd? Maybe shoot the stuff in a designated "Turd Hurler".............
Voted Best Answer. By me anyway!
Old 03-13-2016, 03:29 PM
hytekrednek

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
A friend of mine, my mailman, was wanting a couple brick of thunder duds for hunting tree rats. I tried to talk him into a better round, but he loves TB for hunting. I need to ask him exactly why he prefers them. I gave him the 2 bricks I had. They are not my first choice, but I will shoot them plinking when it is real cheap or all I can find, which is nearly never. I assume my mailman friend does not shoot much, like most here. If it reliably gets his meat, and is cheap, what is not to like?
Old 03-13-2016, 03:42 PM
tomcline

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Targetmaster

I use thunderbolts all the time I my MP 15-22.with a bumpfire stock. They are good for something.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:15 PM
Shooter011

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaems View Post
"Beggars can't be choosy", when there was a shortage. After November we may be back begging again.

I have 4 bricks of thunderbolt. I also have 4 cousins that I have to support. Because by the time they get off work the .22LR supply is usually gone. So I picked up what is available for them. I also gave it to them at my cost. All the CCI I put away for a rainy day.
Why is it you say after November we might be back begging?
Old 03-13-2016, 04:17 PM
PEASHOOTER67
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
Could anything be done to Thunderbolts to prevent leading?

I've already started stocking up for Dec. 2016.
From now till then. Don't want to be in the same spot I was in "edited" 7 3/4 years ago.

Faith, Honor, Family

Last edited by PEASHOOTER67; 03-13-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:30 PM
Dean2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter011 View Post
Why is it you say after November we might be back begging?

US federal election and fear that the Democrats will win the White House again. If they do, the stockpiling and hoarding will get worse than it already has been.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:36 PM
oldcoot61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Angry never a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
Could you coat them in wax yourself? Pledge? Butter? I dunno . . . I see the price of these coming down, and I know folks don't love 'em.

Why do they lead a barrel up anyway? Uncoated? Poorly coated? I think I have some at the bottom of a crate somewhere. They'd be the last bullets I shot, I think, based on complaints read here. So; is there anything to be done with 'em?
I once shot almost a brick of these thing and it was a heck of a job digging the lead out of my neos. I learned rite then to shoot a copper plated round bout every third shot. I really like them in my glennfield. My remington 550-1 hates them so much, it won't load them.
But my neos will eat any candy you give her..
Old 03-13-2016, 04:52 PM
Shooter011

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
US federal election and fear that the Democrats will win the White House again. If they do, the stockpiling and hoarding will get worse than it already has been.
Forgive my lack of knowledge for politics but why would ppl stock pile ammo because the democrats win the White House?
Old 03-13-2016, 04:59 PM
JDWinCO

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Life must be good above the medicine line. Enjoy it without worry about what goes on below that imaginary line. It will do ya good.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:04 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter011 View Post
Forgive my lack of knowledge for politics but why would ppl stock pile ammo because the democrats win the White House?

It would take to many words of which I am incapable to adequately type to give you the right view of understanding.

Political discussions are forbotin on the forum as well.

Faith, Honor, Family
Old 03-13-2016, 06:01 PM
Scortch500

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thunderbolts

Hi I am a newbie, but it seems that you should be thoroughly cleaning any .22LR firearm after each use no matter what the quality of the ammo.
When at the range I am always wiping down my revolvers and rifles, also snaking the barrel if shooting a lot.
Funny, my MP 15-22 seems to function just fine with this type of ammo. Sure I would ideally prefer my CCI Mini mags, but since they are not always available, I pick up the Thunderbolts.
So what am I missing here? What damage are Thunderbolts other than just being dirty and requiring a thorough cleaning of your firearms?
Old 03-13-2016, 06:07 PM
Shooter011

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEASHOOTER67 View Post
It would take to many words of which I am incapable to adequately type to give you the right view of understanding.

Political discussions are forbotin on the forum as well.

Faith, Honor, Family
Google has educated me !
Old 03-13-2016, 06:09 PM
Trailboss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
"Could anything be done to Thunderbolts to prevent leading?"

Yes, dig a hole and bury them.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:32 PM
The Hen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've posted this before so to you oldtimers forgive me-some newer folks asked about rewaxing Thunderbolts. Bulk I look for anything CCI then Remington Golden,Thunderbolts-then federal and I wont buy the bulk packs 333 or 555 Winchester [the M22 has treated me well]. About a year ago Thunderbolts once leaded my semiauto pistols and since then I purchased a tube of bullet lube made of beeswax&allox for $2. Just wipe roll the bullet across the lube stick then with a piece of wax paper pinch roll the bullet to get the wax into the cavities and wipe off excess. Takes 10 minutes per 100 and well worth the fun later at the range and you also save 10 minutes in gun cleaning time.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:52 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Could anything be done to Thunderbolts to prevent leading?

Yes

Last edited by PEASHOOTER67; 03-14-2016 at 04:56 PM.