Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:33 AM
The Hen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you "American Rifleman"

I had no idea of my recurring unsafe firearm procedure. April 2015 issue has a tear out pamphlet called " Guide for New Shooters" and on page 11 it says after cleaning a barrel to-"run a patch lightly soaked in oil down the bore. BEWARE: oil in the bore can create excessive pressure a dangerous condition. Run a dry patch down the bore before you shoot your gun again." Silly me, and I apologize to all the folk next to me at the range these last 55 years.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:48 AM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have always dried my bore before shooting.

There has been some evidence that oil in the bore can also damage the barrel. As the bullet passes over the oil it can cause a dimple in the steel of the barrel.

Not real hard to wipe the bore before shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 03-26-2015, 01:23 AM
ditto1958

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hen View Post
I had no idea of my recurring unsafe firearm procedure. April 2015 issue has a tear out pamphlet called " Guide for New Shooters" and on page 11 it says after cleaning a barrel to-"run a patch lightly soaked in oil down the bore. BEWARE: oil in the bore can create excessive pressure a dangerous condition. Run a dry patch down the bore before you shoot your gun again." Silly me, and I apologize to all the folk next to me at the range these last 55 years.
Darn. Next you'll tell us you road your bicycle without out a helmet on when you were a kid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2015, 01:53 AM
Racer X

TPC Rating: 
96% (25)
Now, with something like Eezox, after the carrier oil flashes off, the dry film should well under a thou thick, so how would that be an issue?

Not trying to start an argument, just trying to understand. I can surely see a thick oil film, or machining debris in a new barrel being an issue though.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:57 AM
mauiblue

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I usually use a bore snake to get the oil out before shooting. So easy...
Old 03-26-2015, 03:13 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
Now, with something like Eezox, after the carrier oil flashes off, the dry film should well under a thou thick, so how would that be an issue?

Not trying to start an argument, just trying to understand. I can surely see a thick oil film, or machining debris in a new barrel being an issue though.
I personally don't think it is an issue, and I've found that bore treatment. in a .22 rimfire with EEZOX, is a benefit in helping to reduce bore fouling and make cleaning that much easier. I wouldn't use a bore snake in any of my .22 rimfire bores, even if they gave those away.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:02 AM
Mik

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've heard this too...the part about oil in the bore causing excessive pressure. I wonder if their is a documented occurence of a barrel rupture resulting from oil in the bore.

I also wonder if its a volume issue - i.e. the .001" layer of oil on either side of the bore reduces the bore volume to unsafe levels, or an ignition issue like the "dieseling" you get in some high powered air rifles.

Either way, its good practice to dry the bore thoroughly after cleaning to prevent excess oil from running into the action and seeping into the stock. The bore doesnt need to be soaked in oil to prevent rust.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:36 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Seems like this would be a real concern to center fire rifles with smokeless powder & jacketed bullets. Non issue for a shotgun and since you all got away with it for 55 years then I guess a .22LR with soft lead and black powder pressures is ok too.

There is already lube on the outside of 22 bullets. An oil film maybe more lube than desired but not a serious problem?
Old 03-26-2015, 08:11 AM
3six13

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The gun cleaning kit I got around the time of my first gun had a guide that stated you should leave the barrel oiled when put away for long storage, but dry if in frequent use. Don't remember if it specified that you should dry the barrel of a stored gun before use and/or always forgot to anyway. I do, however, recall one of those times noticing a difference in the report of my first shot vs all that followed. Never looked into the science behind it, but randomly assumed the charge ignited the oil and made the shot a bit louder. It's a Ruger Single Six Hunter, which is built like a tank, so it never concerned me enough to look into it and I generally consider my centerfire revolvers in use, so I haven't left them oiled for this to potentially be an issue.

I do generally oil the chambers of my revolvers for feeding/ejection reasons, however, but it would be a short jump before the cylinder gap.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:19 AM
Redlegvzv
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just clean my guns the way the US Army taught me.

1. Brush with some Hoppes #9 bore cleaner on it 5 or 6 run-throughs.

2. Repeatedly run a Hoppes #9 soaked patch down the bore until is is pretty clean.

3. Run a dry patch down the barrel. It should come out clean.

You are done.

This has worked for me on pistols and rifles alike. 20 million+ US servicemen can't all be wrong.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:35 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlegvzv View Post

2. Repeatedly run a Hoppes #9 soaked patch down the bore until is is pretty clean.

You are done.

This has worked for me on pistols and rifles alike. 20 million+ US servicemen can't all be wrong.
I use all Hoppe's stuff. 112 years worth of people using it to clean guns. Works good, and smells good..........
Old 03-26-2015, 02:03 PM
chuckles
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlegvzv View Post

You are done.

Pretty much as the OP described in the AR article.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:29 AM
Jeepergeo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
Darn. Next you'll tell us you road your bicycle without out a helmet on when you were a kid.
...or worse, drinking from the garden hose.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:31 AM
Jeepergeo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
...or worse, drinking from the garden hose
Old 03-27-2015, 08:26 AM
hovercat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Like any piece of precision machinery, a firearm comes with a manual detailing cleaning, maintenance and use. Put together by the folks who designed it and specified the metals used, tolerances, testing, etc.
I follow their informed advice.