Need a diagnosis - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:50 PM
The Hen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Your initial post said that the pistol faulted on one cartridge Winchester. I would surely try different brand and type of ammo before I became concerned.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:34 PM
Tobie
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool mk3

Funny that you posted this. I just bought a new mk3 bull bbl and made almost exactly the mods that you listed. Finished installing the parts, grabbed a box of cci sub-sonics and headed to the back yard. First shot went off but the feed failed on the second. I fumed and studied through another five rounds- cartridges looked identical to yours. Retrieved two more mags- same song....Finally, a dim bulb lit up and I got out some CCI mini-mags. It ate every round. Tried Aquila, Remington, Wolf-- it fired everything except the initial sub-sonics. I even mixed a round in the midst of a mag and it'd choke every time. The initial ammo appears to be right at the edge of enough power to cycle the bolt fully.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:16 PM
woolfam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mag Assembly

Here's how I have the mags assembled...

Last edited by woolfam; 02-11-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:19 PM
SGW Gunsmith
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
That doesn't show much as you photoed it. What do they look like assembled? You should have the magazine follower button on the left side of the magazine. did you do it that way?
Old 02-09-2015, 11:20 PM
woolfam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It "shot" fine. If it weren't for the one jam I probably wouldn't have known the bullets were getting scraped.

I shot some MiniMags through it Saturday and the pistol functioned fine, but I shot them before shooting the Winchesters and did not know to check them for scrapes.

I'll try both again next time I go to the range. (MiniMags are hard to come by around here...)
Old 02-09-2015, 11:30 PM
woolfam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
That doesn't show much as you photoed it. What do they look like assembled? You should have the magazine follower button on the left side of the magazine. did you do it that way?
Oh, I see what you are asking. Yes, I did. Here's a pic of the other mag.

Last edited by woolfam; 02-11-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:30 AM
woolfam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Upon further review...

I tried hand cycling a mag-full of CCI MiniMags. Had the same result, HOWEVER, I discovered the last few bullets in the mag are getting scraped while still in the mag...

My suspicion of it being a feeding issue (a pic in a previous post showing the bullet nosed into the chamber face) was evidently a red herring.

The bullet is getting scraped, I would assume, by the bottom of the bolt. The last three or four rounds in the mag each getting successively more damage (see pics in initial post), with the last bullet in the mag getting the most damage as evidenced by this picture.

NOTE: The scrapes on the bullets are made from back to front...

... which would seem to indicate that the bullet is being scraped when the bolt is pushing the previous round into the chamber.

The mystery continues...

(BTW - "Thanks" to all who have commented / provided input to my search for a solution.)

Last edited by woolfam; 02-11-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:15 PM
tljuly3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remove the grip

I ran into a couple of issues with the Hogue Rubber Grip. I had to do some trimming around the magazine release button and shave down the thickness of my bolt release. Try putting on the original grips and see if you still have the same problem.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:50 PM
woolfam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tljuly3 View Post
I ran into a couple of issues with the Hogue Rubber Grip. I had to do some trimming around the magazine release button and shave down the thickness of my bolt release. Try putting on the original grips and see if you still have the same problem.
Hummm. That's not something I had considered. I did trim around the release button when I put on the grip, but I'll try putting the OEM grips back on.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2015, 11:47 PM
woolfam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I tried it with the grips off and still had the same results. I can see the last round being pushed up as the next to the last round is stripped off the mag, and I can see the bottom of the bolt face scraping across it.

I guess at this point I'm going to have to put all the original parts back in and see what it does like that.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:55 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
What side of the follower, and the magazine, did you put the follower button into when you re-assembled your magazines? Right side or left side? Your pictures didn't show up here.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:02 AM
woolfam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They're on the left side. Same side as the mag release button.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:21 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolfam View Post
Upon further review...

I tried hand cycling a mag-full of CCI MiniMags. Had the same result, HOWEVER, I discovered the last few bullets in the mag are getting scraped while still in the mag...

[IMG]http://s5.************/rea1rd4ef/mag_scrape.jpg[/IMG]

My suspicion of it being a feeding issue (a pic in a previous post showing the bullet nosed into the chamber face) was evidently a red herring.

The bullet is getting scraped, I would assume, by the bottom of the bolt. The last three or four rounds in the mag each getting successively more damage (see pics in initial post), with the last bullet in the mag getting the most damage as evidenced by this picture.

NOTE: The scrapes on the bullets are made from back to front...

[IMG]http://s5.************/kgic4ivlz/Mark_III_02.jpg[/IMG]

... which would seem to indicate that the bullet is being scraped when the bolt is pushing the previous round into the chamber.

The mystery continues...

(BTW - "Thanks" to all who have commented / provided input to my search for a solution.)
Pics didn't show up here, so I checked it.

Looks like the BBS software is substituting a string of asterisks for some reason.

[IMG]http://s5.************/rea1rd4ef/mag_scrape.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://s5.************/kgic4ivlz/Mark_III_02.jpg[/IMG]

I'll try to make links: Pic 1 Pic 2

No better.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:01 PM
woolfam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I moved the pics to a different hosting site and fixed the links. They should now show up.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:21 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Here's something you might want to try, with one of your magazines. Using a pliers, if you have a smooth faced pair, so much the better, bend the magazine lips inward, toward the center of the follower, just a little bit on each side. It appears from your pictures that the magazine lips are just a tad too wide and may be that's why the bullet nose tilts up as far as it does.