Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:00 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Said I'd never do it!!! Gas logs.

Said I'd never get a fake Christmas tree too. Got one at Home Depot a couple of years ago, comes in three sections. Lights already installed. And it is really good looking. We have to decorate with balls, etc. But the lights and cones are there. No fresh tree smell, haven't gotten too lazy, bought it because it looked good.

Which brings me to something else I said I would never get. We have a beautiful dry stack moss rock fireplace over an Iso-Kern pre engineered volcanic rock insert. I designed it, my masons put it in. Has natural gas to a cast iron starter. But, we don't use it as often as we would like. It burns wood fast, it smells great and a fireplace doesn't heat your house at all....in fact it sucks warm air out. All those hot gasses and smoke you see flying out the top of the chimney....warm air in your house being vented while cold air is drawn in around windows, doors, etc.

I grew up with real fireplaces and space heaters. The dangerous kind. The kind with radiants the glow a comfortable red at night. The kind that are 100% efficient, the kind that will kill you if you don't pay attention. Properly burning they put out carbon dioxide and water vapor...and a lot of heat. In a closed room they can deplete the oxygen which causes a burn that produces carbon monoxide. That will kill you. We were taught to never close the bedroom door and in fact placed a shoe in the jamb to make sure the door didn't close. I have a modern version in the basement. It has a thermocouple to make sure if the pilot goes out the gas stops, it has a thermostat, it has a piezo crystal igniter and any oxygen sensor just like your car. If the oxygen in the room drops about 2% from normal the sensor shuts it off. I have it in an open basement so it doesn't shut off from lack of oxygen. I love em, sure wish someone made old looking models with all the safety features.

Which brings me to gas logs. Years ago they looked horrible and fake. Now...not so much, in fact some look great. The vented ones! The non vented ones...not so much. I'm thinking of getting some for the fireplace. I have a damper but I intend to close it. I don't want all that heat going up the chimney. I also want a vented one....what I don't understand is why I'm not supposed to use vented logs ( which by far look the best) if I'm not venting the unit. I don't vent my 30,000 btu ventless wall mounted gas space heater....not required to. I can open the vent if we want a fire and the temp is is bit warm...say 40f to 50f degrees. When it really gets cold and we want a fire...I can close the damper and not have all the heat go up the chimney. In watching videos of vented vs non vented all I hear is that in the non vented models the flame doesn't touch the logs. So???? They are ceramic, just like in my space heater. What am I missing? And, any recommendations on good looking units. 1917

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 12-04-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:21 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My house is cedar shingles on top and cedar clapboard on bottom ...vinyl...never.

Our Christmas tree is real every year...fake....never

I burn about a cord of wood every year in my fireplace...sucks the heat right out of the house. Would I go gas...never.

Well, Some of the siding now looks so much like cedar shingles and the cement prepainted hardy board siding is awesome.

Fake trees looks so real now its hard to tell. Get a balsam candle at white barn.

Gas fireplace with gas logs...no more $325 cords of wood. Turn a knob and voila, fire without the fuss and muss.

I'm on the cusp.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:37 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get you a nice Alcoa Christmas tree. I hear they attract ball lightning...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2019, 04:31 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Last year when my furnace broke and I was and still am out of work, my cousins son-in-law bout me one of those stoves from Lowes with the gas logs. That little thing keeps my entire upstairs warm, and my gas bill and electric combined last month was only $100. I love mine to death.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:45 PM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Wood stove

I just cut & split two cord for next year!
Old 12-04-2019, 05:01 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Artificial trees and a gas log work for me after doing all my own wood burning work, 11 full cords p yr, for too long. No more pine pitch to deal with either. While au naturale is more nice I had enough and we've no grands to enjoy em with either. The wife more than makes up for my heathenistic ho hum Christmas spirit.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:32 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Our home has a large stone FP with a heat exchanger. I made an adjustable damper to control draft and the trap door for the ashes vent outside. With a bit of adjustment it sucks very little air in through the windows, doors or between the logs. The house had a propane furnace that just sucked by bank account dry so wood kept us quite warm. Fast forward to the day I found out a NG line was about 12" into my property about 450' from the house. Columbia Gas gave me the material and we did the work. Highest gas bill was $120 for heat and cooktop. Water heater is next then the clothes drier if they die in that order. The fireplace is seldom used except for power outrages and company.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:37 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Went to a fireplace store today that sells ventless and must be vented models. The must be vented are by far the better looking units. So I asked the guy what is the deal between the two when it comes to one requiring venting and one not. They had several sets of both set up and lit them for us. Basically, the logs do not get hot like radiants on a gas heater and they soot up, on purpose. That sooting process adds to the looks (they say) and causes unburned particles to be created which you don't want to smell. A quick sniff over one of the vented sets confirmed that he was right.

The ventless models have to have the logs precisely positioned so that the flames do not touch the logs. As a result these have almost all blue flames, the flame isn't wrapping around the logs and they look pretty fake to me. So, I will stick with real wood unless I can find a set up that meets my requirements. I didn't see a ventless that came anywhere near what I would accept. 1917
Old 12-04-2019, 09:50 PM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't have a fireplace, I have a fire box. Adjustable air vent on doors and a metal chimney for the outbound smoke etc. I doesn't suck much air out of the house and the box itself is the heater. It gets real toasty in the front room and my bedroom. It really radiates heat.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:38 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have two fireplaces in my home, one in the living room and one in the family room. The one in the living room burns wood and the family room fireplace has vented gas logs installed even though the fireplace is capable of burning wood. Let's face it, a fireplace is not an efficient way to heat. Since putting the gas logs in the wood burning fireplace has never been used to burn anything but financial records. When using the gas logs we only open the damper two clicks which is enough to let the gas escape the room but not suck an excessive amount of heated air from the room. Also after the logs are shut off and damper shut the heat from the fire brick and ceramic logs comes into the room. While we don't light the logs on a regular basis it is nice to be able to light them for a few hours and shut them off without the start up and shut down issues of wood. And yes we have had many guests to our home that commented on how real they looked.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:43 PM
mdew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post
Get you a nice Alcoa Christmas tree. I hear they attract ball lightning...

We found one of those when we cleaned out the MIL house a couple years ago. The wife wanted if to relive her childhood. And no it is not in our house.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:40 PM
Slowalkintexan

Texas' beautiful hill country, Michigan's golden left coast.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fireplaces

Used to rent a log cabin for a week or so,,,,It was a CCC cabin, had both a wood cook stove and a large fireplace...We could get a good fine going in the fireplace and it. Got the cabin plenty warm enough, that we could wear shorts and tee shirts,,,all week indoors..