Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:32 AM
WalnutBill22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I have a friend who says he bought one NIB with the Lyman 57 receiver sight and a front sight like yours, Gerald. I don't think this was a catalog version, but maybe a special order?
The original Model 52 Sporter was available with or without sights (Lyman 48 rear and integrally forged ramp front).
Old 12-03-2019, 10:56 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Very nice BRP, you folks have me convinced that these are add ons but I really like them and since I have a scoped 52R (Browning roll marked) I'm good with no scope. Thanks for the education.
Gerald, factory or not, that is a classy setup and absolutely beautiful to my eyes. I love it.

IMO, the importers would have sold a LOT more if they had offered the rifle with iron sights from the factory.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:13 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
In my jaundiced view, none of the Miroku rifles with sights are factory original.

But they certainly lend themselves to being retrofitted, as many have done.

I too have one with Lyman rear aperture and front barrel band sight (sorry about the old poor picture).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52Blyman.jpg (185.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-03-2019, 02:20 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (53)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post

If you blow up this photo of my Browning roll marked 52 you can just see the filler screws on the receiver, so....???
So.... thanks for the extra photo of the browning version. I like the look of your peep sighted rifle but like the browning version of the stock. Hmmmm…. I wonder if my eyes can squint hard enough to use a sight like that Lyman?
Old 12-03-2019, 03:37 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (257)
I like it, Gerald, very nice indeed. Whether factory installed or not, the sights look right. You done good -- as usual.

Doug
Old 12-03-2019, 07:36 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Thanks for the comments gentlemen, something a bit different which is fine by me.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:50 PM
Recoil Rob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeParson View Post
The location of the scope base holes on the reproduction 52 rifles (which used the later 52-E hole spacing) precludes mounting both a Lyman 48 and the scope bases. So you have to decide: iron sights or a scope. (Not that the iron sights can actually be used with a scope in place!) But I have both on my 52-C Sporter.

The original 52-C Sporter had the holes on the rear receiver ring further forward, and that allows one to keep the Lyman 48 in place and still mount a scope.
Are you saying a Miroku gun cannot have a scope and a Lyman sight base with the slide removed?

thanks,

Rob
Old 12-05-2019, 07:10 PM
WalnutBill22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem with the slide removed, but you would with the slide in place.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:44 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
As an aside, I have two rifles on which I installed iron sights, a sporter Anschutz 1427 and an ULA 20, and the addition of the banded front sight ramp actually served to “tune” the barrels. I thought it was a fluke when the Anschutz, on which I had just installed a new Lilja, shot markedly better with the ramp pressed on, but there is no doubt about the tuning effect. I experimented with slight position options and found the sweetest spot for the lots of ammunition I have before finally permanently installing the ramps. Both barrels were relatively thin, making the tuning effect greater, I believe. Just food for thought.
TBR
Old 12-05-2019, 07:50 PM
Tennessee453

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well Sir, you have some really nice rifles. I sure hope you shoot them enough to enjoy them.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:01 PM
Recoil Rob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalnutBill22 View Post
I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem with the slide removed, but you would with the slide in place.
Yeah, well that's why the slide stop post is there. I have a Rem. M30 with a scope and Lyman, I keep the slide wrapped in waxed paper, under the butt pad.

Interesting thread, I have an NIB Miroku/Winchester 52B downstairs I got years ago but never shot it. It has the Lyman holes but no front sight. It came with scope rings in the box also.

I also have a 52C barreled action I thought about turning into a sporter but never did but at the time I found a Lyman 48F in mint condition. Now I need a front ramp, what's the proper ramp for a 52B sporter?
Old 12-05-2019, 09:15 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
The 52B sporter ramps were all integral, so the closest you could get would be using the ramps used on the very last 52C sporters, which, depending on who you talk to, would be same era ramps from the late pre64 M70s. Of these, there were ramps with more and less striations, but I could never get the real Winchester experts to agree on which ones were used for the latest 52 sporters; could be both. You will not find the slighter taller 52 hood, but the very similar M70 hoods are readily available.
TBR
Old 12-05-2019, 11:13 PM
minimouse

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gerald, your 52R has the clean lines of the original 52 sporters, which always did look just right with their original iron sights. Congrats on your acquisition!
Old 12-06-2019, 07:36 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
As an aside, I have two rifles on which I installed iron sights, a sporter Anschutz 1427 and an ULA 20, and the addition of the banded front sight ramp actually served to “tune” the barrels. I thought it was a fluke when the Anschutz, on which I had just installed a new Lilja, shot markedly better with the ramp pressed on, but there is no doubt about the tuning effect. I experimented with slight position options and found the sweetest spot for the lots of ammunition I have before finally permanently installing the ramps. Both barrels were relatively thin, making the tuning effect greater, I believe. Just food for thought.
TBR
I found the same thing on an Andschutz 1710 DKL that I used in club matches. It was/is an exceptionally accurate gun....until I decided to remove the front sight and hood. I eventually had to reinstall it to get back to the previous accuracy level. I attributed it barrel harmonics.

Gerald, I've owned two each of the Winchester and Browning 52s, but alas, they fell victim to a recent downsizing mode I've gotten into. Seeing your gun makes me wish I had kept the one I sold most recently....a Browning....and had some sights installed. Looks classy.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:49 AM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (257)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
I found the same thing on an Andschutz 1710 DKL that I used in club matches. It was/is an exceptionally accurate gun....until I decided to remove the front sight and hood. I eventually had to reinstall it to get back to the previous accuracy level. I attributed it barrel harmonics.

Hmmm... And I recently removed the front sight assembly from my 1710D KL to give it a "cleaner" look. I've not shot it since so the jury is still out. But based on your and TBR's experience it sounds like I may have to reverse the decision.

Doug