Room for 1 more. Guidance sought - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:36 AM
JimCameron
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Room for 1 more. Guidance sought

Here's what I already have. Henry H001, Henry H004M, Marlin 781DU, 10/22 Standard Wood.

In order of accuracy, the 10/22 is 1, Marlin, 2.

I'm able to go for another rifle, I think a bolt action, I'd like one with an adjustable trigger, or a superior factory trigger, and I am most interested in 100yd accuracy.

I've got about $400 to spend, and a Nikon 3x9 AO to put on.

What's your best advice for the most accurate shooter given my situation? Thanks
Old 11-24-2019, 07:31 AM
papatrout65

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I would be looking at a CZ in that price point and guide lines you can find something.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:00 AM
426NUT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Aside from a CZ (457, 455, or 452), the tikka T1X has been getting great reviews for out of the box accuracy. Take a look in the Sako/Tikka forum. E.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2019, 08:16 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lots of CZs. New and used to choose from at that price point.I its 100 yards off a bench, ten look at the varmint, heavy barrel models. No iron sights. The 455 trigger is adjustable, but it really needs a spring swap, easy peasy, DIP has a kit, so does MCARBO, SO DOES Ace hardware. $20 tops, And I like a trigger shoe,DIP, too.

The 457, i don't have one, also has and an adjustable trigger, and spring kits. It also has a lower bolt throw and so you can mount your scope a little lower, if thats what you like.

If you want a standard taper barrel, the Americans, both 455 and 457 have no iron sights, so mounting a scope is easier than than on the lux ultra lux or trainers.

A nice feature of the 455s and 457s is that the barrels are easy to change, so tou can use the same receiver, for all the barrels. They are inter changeable between the 455s and 457s too. Also the calibers change just as easy. Thers a little bit that fills the mag well that makes them 22lr, pull it out and its hmr or wsr. The magnum magazines are the same for both.

Right now the 457 barrels come at longer lengths than the similar 455 models, but the only CZ drop in barrels you can buy are the 455 barrels and the only CZ stocks you can buy are the 455 stocks. The 455 and 457 stocks are NOT interchangeable. The actions are different.

All that being said , the best deal ut their imho is a double barrel american set , 17 hmr and 22lr in a walnut stock https://dahlonegaarmory.com/product/...rifle-na-blued.., or you could buy the Stainless American in the Synthetic stock https://dahlonegaarmory.com/product/...-stk-stainless . Or the Varmint in Walnut.

The 455s are blued the 457s are Nitide finished the wood on the 457s is stainedd much browner and darker than the 455wood.

OMG, i forgot, No Full Stock 457s, but there are still a few FS 455s around, but they'll cost you $500. But well worth it! They do have iron sights , so getting a scope to fit is a bit more of a challenge, but not impractical.

And speaking of scops both 455 and 457 are cut for dovetail, and while you can buy a slotted rail its not necessary, and you can buy expensive rings, again not necessary. I use $10 rings from Amazon, and they work fine.

Last edited by Toomany22s; 11-24-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:10 AM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
CZ has already been mentioned and is a great recommendation.

But you can also take a look at the Ruger Precision Rimfire which is a good bolt action at your price point. Expecting a "superior factory trigger" is a tough ask at the $400 price point, but the Ruger Precision Rimfire does have a adjustable trigger which you stated was also OK. Up front, I do not own one, but my neighbor has one and raves about it. I have shot it several times and enjoyed shooting it.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:21 AM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCameron View Post
Here's what I already have. Henry H001, Henry H004M, Marlin 781DU, 10/22 Standard Wood.

In order of accuracy, the 10/22 is 1, Marlin, 2.

I'm able to go for another rifle, I think a bolt action, I'd like one with an adjustable trigger, or a superior factory trigger, and I am most interested in 100yd accuracy.

I've got about $400 to spend, and a Nikon 3x9 AO to put on.

What's your best advice for the most accurate shooter given my situation? Thanks
In your situation I would be buying a CZ 457 in one of the heavy-barrel Varmint configurations. BOCO (buy once, cry once); you will be glad you did. Got my trigger down to 1# even simply by substituting a 10/22 trigger return spring for the stock one; it's very nice, but not crazy light.

Also recommend you get more scope than that for 100 yards. I just picked up a CV Life 6-24X with AO for about $40 on Amazon. Gonna try it out today. The rings it comes with are for a pic rail, so you will need to buy inexpensive 11mm dovetail rings for it if you don't have any. It has a 50mm objective, so possibly medium rings, or for sure high rings will work. Scope has a 1" tube BTW.

Yes I know guys, flame away! Just trying to get him into a good gun, on his budget; a good scope can come later. Jim, recommend you use the 3-9X if you have to, to put more $$ into the gun.

My only good scope is a 3-9X Leupold rimfire, without AO, so it only gets use at 25-50 yards.

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 11-24-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:56 AM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick1 View Post
CZ has already been mentioned and is a great recommendation.

But you can also take a look at the Ruger Precision Rimfire which is a good bolt action at your price point. Expecting a "superior factory trigger" is a tough ask at the $400 price point, but the Ruger Precision Rimfire does have a adjustable trigger which you stated was also OK. Up front, I do not own one, but my neighbor has one and raves about it. I have shot it several times and enjoyed shooting it.
+1

I am not a Ruger fan, but when I saw the fit, finish and price of the Precision Rimfire I was truly surprised. Some preliminary shooting shows it have a very pleasant trigger and very good accuracy potential.

Enjoy!
Dave
Old 11-24-2019, 10:18 AM
jackkade

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All of the above suggestions are good. BUT, by the time you have rifle in hand, you will be out close to $ 500. You might take a look at the Savage mod B in 22 lr. Accurate, with a price that will put it in your hands closer to $ 400.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:33 AM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkade View Post
All of the above suggestions are good. BUT, by the time you have rifle in hand, you will be out close to $ 500. You might take a look at the Savage mod B in 22 lr. Accurate, with a price that will put it in your hands closer to $ 400.
I thought of mentioning the Savage line too, esp. with a heavy barrel. Certainly quite good, but in my experience with my Savage Mk I target rifle, the CZ Trainer with its thinner barrel edges it out; and the CZ bull barrels more so.

Depends on how much accuracy he is willing to spend for. The cheapest way to get into decent accuracy IMO would be the Savage Mk II FV-SR; probably around $250.

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 11-24-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:59 AM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It appears that at the $400 price point the only rifle with a 1 moa guarantee is the Keystone 722 Varmit.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:07 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
CZ 455 American would be my choice because it still retains the classic looks of an American Sporter much as the Henry does as a lever gun.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:25 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why be a piker? Go whole hog and get a Vudoo.

Just joking. On another forum the Tikka seems to be awfully close to the Vudoo in accuracy although I see complaints about extraction issues with the Tikka. The CZ 457 is right there close also. Me, I make do with a Ruger Precision Rimfire and love it. It's pretty close to the others in accuracy and I think the age of one component has something to do with it not being even better.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:43 PM
Garugerfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Lots of CZs. New and used to choose from at that price point.I its 100 yards off a bench, ten look at the varmint, heavy barrel models. No iron sights. The 455 trigger is adjustable, but it really needs a spring swap, easy peasy, DIP has a kit, so does MCARBO, SO DOES Ace hardware. $20 tops, And I like a trigger shoe,DIP, too.

The 457, i don't have one, also has and an adjustable trigger, and spring kits. It also has a lower bolt throw and so you can mount your scope a little lower, if thats what you like.

If you want a standard taper barrel, the Americans, both 455 and 457 have no iron sights, so mounting a scope is easier than than on the lux ultra lux or trainers.

A nice feature of the 455s and 457s is that the barrels are easy to change, so tou can use the same receiver, for all the barrels. They are inter changeable between the 455s and 457s too. Also the calibers change just as easy. Thers a little bit that fills the mag well that makes them 22lr, pull it out and its hmr or wsr. The magnum magazines are the same for both.

Right now the 457 barrels come at longer lengths than the similar 455 models, but the only CZ drop in barrels you can buy are the 455 barrels and the only CZ stocks you can buy are the 455 stocks. The 455 and 457 stocks are NOT interchangeable. The actions are different.

All that being said , the best deal ut their imho is a double barrel american set , 17 hmr and 22lr in a walnut stock https://dahlonegaarmory.com/product/...rifle-na-blued.., or you could buy the Stainless American in the Synthetic stock https://dahlonegaarmory.com/product/...-stk-stainless . Or the Varmint in Walnut.

The 455s are blued the 457s are Nitide finished the wood on the 457s is stainedd much browner and darker than the 455wood.

OMG, i forgot, No Full Stock 457s, but there are still a few FS 455s around, but they'll cost you $500. But well worth it! They do have iron sights , so getting a scope to fit is a bit more of a challenge, but not impractical.

And speaking of scops both 455 and 457 are cut for dovetail, and while you can buy a slotted rail its not necessary, and you can buy expensive rings, again not necessary. I use $10 rings from Amazon, and they work fine.
I see youíre posting a reference to Dahlonegaarmory. Great place to buy from. They are about 15 minutes from me....my wife says Iím in there TOO much!LOL
Old 11-24-2019, 05:36 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Now this is just my opinion, and if I seem harsh, its for a good reason and not meant toward the OP. If you want a 100 yard gun, you need to double your gun budget at the LEAST, and triple your scope budget. If it were me, I would not go less than $800 for a good USED rifle, and not less than $300-$400 for a scope worthy of 100 yard groups. Just being honest here. You can buy a lesser gun, but that is all you will have, is a lesser gun. Plus a 100 yard gun needs a Leupold or a Weaver target scope on it.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:43 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
Now this is just my opinion, and if I seem harsh, its for a good reason and not meant toward the OP. If you want a 100 yard gun, you need to double your gun budget at the LEAST, and triple your scope budget. If it were me, I would not go less than $800 for a good USED rifle, and not less than $300-$400 for a scope worthy of 100 yard groups. Just being honest here. You can buy a lesser gun, but that is all you will have, is a lesser gun. Plus a 100 yard gun needs a Leupold or a Weaver target scope on it.
Darn you Gizzy, I could do with a little less honesty! This is gonna get expensive.....you are certainly right though, in principle--but it depends on the OP how accurate he can/wants to spend. I'd say there is nothing wrong with starting with a $400 - 500 gun and a $100 - 200 scope to find out if this is your game, and how deep you want to dive in.

I started with much cheaper guns and realized I wanted more than what they could offer. Still using mostly cheap scopes, but I am starting to think better of it, finally.