New Appreciation for the 1906 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:55 AM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
New Appreciation for the 1906

This last summer I bought a refurbished 1906.
The gunsmith that did the work had done a good job. I've had it out a few times and it grouped well with the couple different kinds of ammo I tried.
It should, as it essentially has new rifling due to the liner. As it breaks in it will get even better.

There were a few things I didn't like though. The sights were really low, and basic.
The front sight was barely a nub which meant the rear sight was all the way down.
So I had to scrunch down to use them. Plus the front sight was hard for my 62 year old eyes to see.

Extraction was stiff, I really had to work the pump harder than normal, this was with all loads, even standard velocity.
And getting the magazine tube out was a chore, it was really tight.

After the last few outings, I wasn't excited about this 1906, and looking at all my .22 rifles, I thought I'd "thin the herd" and so I put the 1906 on Armslist.

I had polished the inside of the outer mag tube, and polished the steel inner tube, and inserting and removing the tube was easier.
And when taken apart for cleaning, I polished the chamber with some J-B compound on a patch, spun by a piece of brass rod in my cordless drill.

As far as the sights, I put on a taller front sight, which allowed me to raise up the rear sight so it wasn't resting on the barrel.
I took the rifle out yesterday, and had a real blast with it.
I had a couple rimfire spinner targets and some golf balls thrown out from 30 yards to 100 yards. Seem like I couldn't miss with this little 1906.
I finished the outing by walking up a small valley, plinking knotholes in dead trees and logs, and scared hell out of a rock squirrel that was watching me about 150 yards up the hill.

I got home and removed the Armslist ad. I'm glad I gave my 1906 another chance. I'm sure as I shoot it more the tight chamber and mag tube will get better.
Now I'm entertaining thoughts of replacing the Gumwood stock with some nice Walnut, and maybe going with a tang sight and front globe.

Last edited by sandog; 11-15-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:59 AM
Big Larry
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I held off for a few years until I found the right M1906. Nice ones are very expensive and most are beaters. I finally found this one on Guns Intl. Looked like a nice one and under $1,000. Shoots well and was a wlecome addition to my Winchester 22 collection. They are cool little rifles. Big Larry

Old 11-15-2019, 04:02 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They are nice little guns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D8291AB9-B997-4562-BF77-C20C274BBE3A.jpg (512.5 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2019, 04:34 PM
WalnutBill22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Sadly, I don't have one, but if I did and its gumwood stock looked as good as yours does, Sandog, I believe I would leave it alone.
After all, that's the wood that Winchester equipped most of them with.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:47 AM
Big Larry

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalnutBill22 View Post
Sadly, I don't have one, but if I did and its gumwood stock looked as good as yours does, Sandog, I believe I would leave it alone.
After all, that's the wood that Winchester equipped most of them with.
Hey Bill. With all the money you have and don't own a M06? Maybe you can find one that has been D&T'd with a Weaver B4 on it. Just poking fun at you my friend. Big Larry
Old 11-16-2019, 04:32 PM
WalnutBill22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Larry, you know all I can afford are what you call "excuse rifles". But I still have a lot of fun with them.
Best regards and have a happy Thanksgiving , my friend.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:37 PM
Big Larry

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalnutBill22 View Post
Larry, you know all I can afford are what you call "excuse rifles". But I still have a lot of fun with them.
Best regards and have a happy Thanksgiving , my friend.
Thanks Bill for not taking me seriously. It's good friends who can joke with each other and no one gets his feelings hurt. I value your opinions very highly. You too have a great Tday with friends and family. Big Larry
Old 11-16-2019, 11:12 PM
wundudnee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Finding a 1906 in excellent shape is nearly impossible. They were the cheap step sisters to the 1890, which is lots easier to find in nice condition. Here are mine, all with a few age spots, but very functional. The top one is an expert, the next two down are third model receivers in S, L, LR. The bottom two are .22 short made in 1908. When I get to be 112 I'll probably have some dents.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:24 AM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Nice collection, wundudnee.
Does anyone know where I can get shorter rifle cases ?
I've looked at LGS, and online, places like Brownell's, Midway, Natchez, etc.

Most cases are for 44"-46" scoped rifles, AR-15's and are way too big.
The few smaller cases I've seen have "Ruger 10-22" or "Cricket" in huge letters on the side.

I'd like some small cases for my 1906, BL-22 and Rossi Trapper.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:45 AM
Big Larry

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wundudnee View Post
Finding a 1906 in excellent shape is nearly impossible. They were the cheap step sisters to the 1890, which is lots easier to find in nice condition. Here are mine, all with a few age spots, but very functional. The top one is an expert, the next two down are third model receivers in S, L, LR. The bottom two are .22 short made in 1908. When I get to be 112 I'll probably have some dents.

Very nice. I do not collect duplicates as I find it hard enough just to collect single specimans, and I am on a fixed income too. Yes, most M1906's were Boys Rifles, and that's how they were advertised. They took a lickin and kept on tickin, as they say. Nice ones are hard to find, and pretty expensive too. Big Larry
Old 11-17-2019, 06:37 PM
retired3100
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love my 1906. It is accurate and handy, but is a little "dainty" for my big hands, especially the pump handle.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:51 PM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I had m 1906 out today ( along with the BL-22 and Nylon 66) to try out 5 different brands of ammo in each gun.
I had picked up a brick of Federal American Eagle yesterday, and wanted to see how it did compared to the other types I had on hand.

25 yard, 5 shot groups:
Remington Golden Bullets - 1 1/4"
CCI Mini-Mags - 1 3/8"
RWS High Velocity HP - 1 1/2"
RWS Subsonic HP - 2 1/2"
Federal American Eagle - 3"

The other two rifles have receiver sights and I was able to shoot sub 1/2" groups with the brands they liked, and the worst was once again the Federal at 1 1/8" in both the Browning lever and the Remington 66.

I was surprised the RWS Subsonic did poorly in the 1906, as it does great in the other rifles.
My scoped 552 Speedmaster will do 1/2" at 50 yards with the Subsonics, that is my squirrel rig.

I'll have to upgrade the tiny sights on my 1906 to do any better, it's just too hard for my 62 year old eyes to see them well.
A tang sight and globe front might be in my future.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:51 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
mine is one of the saddest in my accumulation , but far from the least loved - maybe one of my favorites in many ways , i often pick up the orphans no one else wants