Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Nightforce SHV 3-10 x 42

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  I6turbo 
#1 ·
Are quality compact scopes for rimfire rifles a thing of the past? In searching the last month or so I was able to find only a few with an adjustable objective, simple reticle and focus clearly at less than 25 yards. The Nikon 3-9 Target EFR, the Clearidge Ultra RM, the Weaver RV9 (now discontinued) and the Leupold VX Freedom EFR. I was a little suspicious at how Leupold could re-design the VX-2 EFR, slash the price $100.00 and still be of the same quality.

I have the Nikon, the Clearidge (purchased when Leupold dropped the VX-2 series) and the Weaver. I have a Leupold VX-2 3-9 EFR so I was hoping to find something comparable to that or my Sightron Big Sky 3-9 x 36.

I was ready to start searching the used market for a scope when I was browsing a web site (Optics Planet, Midway USA, Natchez ?) when I came across a name I hadn’t even considered because I know of their quality and I’ve seen the prices they command. But this one was different. It is a 30mm tube but a compact 11.6” long. The ocular wasn’t overly large, the objective 42mm and it had side focus from 25 yards to infinity. I didn’t care for the MOAR reticle but a drop down menu showed it to be available with a plain duplex reticle as well. Great, but the price. :eek:

I thought about it for a day or two. I have a few rifles and scopes I couldn’t see paying that much for when I bought them, but all was forgotten over time and I am now glad to have them. So I took the plunge and ordered one.

It is just awesome! The glass is incredibly clear and the reticle is more like a fine duplex. The adjustments (1/4 MOA) are very precise and the side focus goes to a little less than 25 yards. It’s a SFP scope with plenty of elevation 90 MOA/windage 80 MOA adjustment. I’ve taken it out a few times to sight it in and shoot some groups at 25 and 50 yards, and one time to use in our club’s weekly 50 yard USBR benchrest match just to see what it could do. I normally use a Leupold 6.5-20 EFR so I was surprised to score one point better than I had scored so far this season. I guess the old saying “good glass trumps magnification” is true.

While still trying to justify paying this much for a scope, looking through it is an experience and it brings a smile to my face and my eyes appreciate it as well. I guess that should be enough justification. I’m glad to have it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I've been looking for a decent scope at a decent price for my 10/22 forever I've got a 3 to 9 on it now that's really clear I think it's a bush now. I like an 18 Power Scope but you're just too big I wish they make us 32 power that doesn't look oversized

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
i love the contrast as far as reticle goes with my NXS 2.5x10. Beats my Nikon 3x12 tactical out. Granted there is a huge price difference. Get in the dark woods my Nightforce definitely better than my Nikon. Squirrel lot more likely to survive if I have Nikon on my rifle.
Nikon rated better for field or paper Punching vs in the woods imo.
Like your rifle op. I had one once just like yours. Shot good. Traded like a dummy.

#6 ·
Congratulations, Moedum 1. That’s one wall I haven’t broken thru yet. Of course if I was scoping a Kimber , I might be able to:D its a great looking rig, and it just looks classic.and very accurate. You’re right of course , a fine gun needs a fine scope. And ina few weeks the penny pinch will be gone , but the Nightforce will not. :bthumb:

#7 ·
Please stop the talk about how enjoyable it is to shoot with crystal clear, pleasant-to-sight-through and therefore EXPENSIVE scopes. ;)

I like to keep my best scopes on the guns that I shoot the most. Makes no sense to me to have my nicest, most enjoyable scope on a gun that I don't shoot much. My rimfires, which get the most rounds through them by far, are likely to have my best scopes if there aren't enough "best" ones to go around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.