Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:15 PM
Empe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
Wish we could see the face of the person who unboxes your pistol!
I'm sure they've seen just about everything and have heard all kinds of stories over the years.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:26 AM
jdsmenatwork

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Ruger called with their outcome....

So, RFCers, here is the situation.... Ruger says they cant repair/ refinish it. So, I have two options: they will sell me a new firearm, CA compatible , at around half MSRP,and they destroy the pistol, or send my pistol back, and I could get it bead blasted and reblued, with a few small imperfections. There are no current Ruger pistols approved for California ( microstamping)
Your input is appreciated. The only thing that appeals is maybe a Ruger American Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor
Old 11-21-2018, 12:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmenatwork View Post
So, RFC’ers, here is the situation.... Ruger says they can’t repair/ refinish it. So, I have two options: they will sell me a new firearm, CA compatible , at around half MSRP,and they destroy the pistol, or send my pistol back, and I could get it bead blasted and reblued, with a few small imperfections. There are no current Ruger pistols approved for California ( microstamping)
Your input is appreciated. The only thing that appeals is maybe a Ruger American Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor
BUMMER JDS...

Ruger must have determined there was too much damage to resurrect it back to a reliable and functioning firearm.

Weighing in your time and cost to bead-blast, re-blue, replace needed parts and restore what you can, to hopefully a normal functioning MkII Gov, may be more trouble than its worth!?!

If Ruger is going to offer 50% off a new firearm and there is something you already had in mind to get, the "new" route might be your best choice and the best dollar value!!

Good Luck with your decision...keep us informed!

Ted
Old 11-21-2018, 01:37 PM
DInghram
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I can certainly understand their position, mostly due to liability. I bought a very nice GTM stainless with extra mags this spring for $450. You could always go that way later if you really miss the pistol. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy your new rifle. All things considered, that sounds like a nice offer from Ruger.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is a fair offer from Ruger. Please let us know of your decision.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
I'd keep it and to do most of the work myself.There are plenty of parts, sights and grips out there! Cold blue does wonders.
After its history,I sure wouldn't get rid of it!Just my 2 cents...……………………..!

Send it up to me,I could make it look gooder!

Last edited by rosscoe; 11-21-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:39 PM
Bloodhound
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yup I would also hang on to it and have it blasted and blued. But it is a different call now. How glad were you to get it back? Happier than a new gun would make you?

Good luck with the decision.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
jdsmenatwork, I read through all the threads. Glad to hear you finally got your Ruger back from the burglary. I think I'd have Ruger return it and restore it as best you can. Bead blast would remove and blend in a lot of those blemishes. Prior to that a deburring wheel would take care of the worst marks and the little parts you could easily replace and upgrade at the same time. Yup, I'd keep it and still buy myself the Ruger American Rifle in 6.5!
Old 12-02-2018, 08:57 AM
jdsmenatwork

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
My Final Answer😜😜

Pistol is on it’s way back home���� to be beadblasted and reblued. I have read reviews of all the 6.5 Creedmoor entry level rifles, Ruger, Savage, and Tc, and found a TC Compass for $225 after rebate!!! Done deal !! New rifle , less $$ than Ruger, and I keep my pistol..���� Christmas ? Done and dusted !!
Thankyou all for your suggestions and comments!! Very much appreciated����

Last edited by jdsmenatwork; 12-02-2018 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Add text
Old 12-03-2018, 10:29 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Pistol is on its way back home���� to be beadblasted and reblued. I have read reviews of all the 6.5 Creedmoor entry level rifles, Ruger, Savage, and Tc, and found a TC Compass for $225 after rebate!!! Done deal !! New rifle , less $$ than Ruger, and I keep my pistol..���� Christmas ? Done and dusted !!
Thankyou all for your suggestions and comments!! Very much appreciated����
Good deal, JDS! Enjoy that 6.5 TC Compass!!

Keep us updated on the rebuild...Pics are very welcomed!!

Ted
Old 12-03-2018, 12:27 PM
Bloodhound

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congtrats on your decision
Old 12-06-2018, 08:58 PM
NeauxGo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Late to the party here. Congrats on getting a fine pistol back and on your purchase. Another option on the pistol: Rat Rod. Optimize the internal components, leave the exterior rough, mummify the grip with nasty tape then go shoot matches. 😀😀😀
Old 12-07-2018, 05:14 AM
jdsmenatwork

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Rat rod

Liking the idea!!! However, have decided on the following... as the pistol had been threaded 1/2-20 (didn’t show in pix), it certainly is not original.... grip frame has been sent back to Ruger, as some idiot there, prior to deciding they would do nothing, completely dissasembled every single pin, spring and component from the grip frame, leaving only the welded shell... then sent this pile of destroyed bits back to me, saying not to shoot it!! It functioned fine before I sent it!! Ruger has agreed to rebuild and reassemble the grip frame, and return it. They did try to sweeten the deal with a even more generous offer on a Predator AI 6.5 rifle, and they destroy the pistol, but already have a rifle on the way.
I have decided to “VQ” it somewhat. Milling four 0.110 deep flats on the barrel, top, bottom and sides, from 1/4” from the receiver, over the total length of the barrel. It a bit of a heavy chunk of steel... D and T a rail on the receiver, fit muzzle brake, cerakote, and a lovely set of walnut target grips. Micro red dot on top.

Last edited by jdsmenatwork; 12-07-2018 at 05:23 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:24 AM
Bloodhound

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Liking the idea!!! However, have decided on the following... as the pistol had been threaded 1/2-20 (didnt show in pix), it certainly is not original.... grip frame has been sent back to Ruger, as some idiot there, prior to deciding they would do nothing, completely dissasembled every single pin, spring and component from the grip frame, leaving only the welded shell... then sent this pile of destroyed bits back to me, saying not to shoot it!! It functioned fine before I sent it!! Ruger has agreed to rebuild and reassemble the grip frame, and return it. They did try to sweeten the deal with a even more generous offer on a Predator AI 6.5 rifle, and they destroy the pistol, but already have a rifle on the way.
I have decided to VQ it somewhat. Milling four 0.110 deep flats on the barrel, top, bottom and sides, from 1/4 from the receiver, over the total length of the barrel. It a bit of a heavy chunk of steel... D and T a rail on the receiver, fit muzzle brake, cerakote, and a lovely set of walnut target grips. Micro red dot on top.
Sounds like you are on your way. Congrats
Old 12-09-2018, 06:29 PM
Darrell Davis

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Volquartsen has all the parts to make the internal better then new.

I put Volquartsen parts in my Mark II Slab Side a few months ago and am waiting impatiently for the Slow Timed and Rapid competition to start again in the Spring!!!!!!!!!!

With RUGER into their 4th generation, it is very possibly they simply do not have the parts to repair the Mark II.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot