Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:42 PM
tooslim
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Ammo Supply Warehouse is selling 50rd boxes of SV for $2.11.

edit: Shipping on two bricks was right at $14. Not great, but it worked out cheaper than I could get it locally after taxes.

Last edited by tooslim; 09-01-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:41 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brownells.com has it on sale for $2.59 a box. I stocked up.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:58 AM
rep1954

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
For a one go to CCI ammo that’s good in all my guns”Subsonics”. They get shot in a 1/7 to a 1/16 twist barrels and perform well.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:12 PM
Hippy

TPC Rating: 
78% (5)
Has anyone actually "Miked" Std vel-- I have a G M bbl on a 77/22 that will NOT chamber it and also a Benchmark w.Lilja chamber. Never had this issue before till recent lots of St Vel

Jim
Old 09-02-2018, 03:11 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippy View Post
Has anyone actually "Miked" Std vel-- I have a G M bbl on a 77/22 that will NOT chamber it and also a Benchmark w.Lilja chamber. Never had this issue before till recent lots of St Vel

Jim
I read on RFC once in awhile how CCI ammo can be a tight fit in chambers it ran fine in before.
I didn't and don't, want to turn this thread into a bashing CCI thread but their QC leaves something to be desired these days including, but not limited to, Minimags and Quiets IME.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:12 PM
Wiley Coyote
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippy View Post

Jim
It's not so much the dia., but the Driving Bands are set a little farther forward compared to other .22 LR Ammo. One GM bbl I have in a 10/22 doesn't extract live rounds 100%.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:27 PM
MauserMaster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
driving bands can change from lot to lot.

however the issue is the bullet lube. For the CCI ive dealt with, its like they wrapped the bullet in a piece of grey plastic walmart shopping bag. Smells the same too when its burned with a match.

its better to have a snug bullet then a bullet that flops out.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:16 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hope the best performing CCI ammo is the case (5,000 Rounds) of SV I won on GB for $200 shipped.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:48 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI subsonic 40 gr hp 1050 fps

I found these at bass pro. It was a new model to me , so I bought a box. 8$ for 100 . They come in the same plastic sleeve as a lot of CCI. I was impressed . Got 1/4 inch groups at 50 yards out of a 1022 with a Shilen barrel . Also shot som Eley yellow box gtarget ammo , it shot great too, but at twice the price!

They are clean , standardized well formed and consistent. I am looking for more.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:13 AM
Tuffbuff

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've tried most of them it seems except Select and the SGB and would like to if I can find any.

For me AR-Tac trumps both mini mags, so much that I sold my solids and kept a brick of hp for fun so I could order another case of Tac. My CZ will do 3/4" @ 100yds with regularity, must be luck as hv aren't supposed to hold together out that far.

I like Sub-HP and Supressor over the SV. Again a big difference in my guns, I use the Supressor in my 77/22 for hunting round, the subs are just as accurate IIRC. I have 4-5 bricks of SV around cause everything I read says it's good, maybe down the road in a different gun but no luck for me with them.

I thought Green Tag should have been better and wish Velocitors would group 1/2 what they do.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:13 PM
SDBigDog1955

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Besides accuracy, reliability, clean shooting, and anything else someone will think of, what's the best of CCI's rf line-up in your mind?
In my Mind ?? Don't purchase any !!!
Old 12-02-2018, 02:14 AM
paxaboris

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now that the best has been pretty much covered, I can tell you'll the worst performing CCI ammo (worst performing 22 ammo for that, CCI patriot pack. It was sold this year around the 4th holiday and I picked up a box out of impulse as well as thinking of pragmatic uses for rounds that are color coded. In both an OEM 10/22, one I replaced most of the parts in the bolt (except the bolt itself)and a NAA derringer I had numerous FTF issues as well as some FTE. The FTE issues were linked to the FTF issues as the rim would a actually deform so much that the deformation made extraction an issue with even manual physical extraction.

The deformation was never due to the primer's ignition as each time there was no audible sound to signify something was awry which is further supported by the fact the bullet never left the casing; I'm happy with this though as I would rather deal with a stuck round than a stuck round as well as a bullet stuck in the barrel.

I'll post picture if I can find any of the rounds that I had put in my pocket to look at in under magnification later and completely forgot. I assume my better half just threw them away when she heard them rattling in the washing machine lol.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2018, 04:20 AM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had no problems with the Patriot Load in my Ruger Mark IV with the stock barrel but they would not work in my Volquartsen barrel. My friend was shooting them in his Mark III Hunter and had the same problems I had with my VQ barrel.

He decided to mic the ammo and see what the difference was. The white ones were from .224 - .226, Reds were .223 - .224 and the blues were 223 - 225.

The whites gave both of us more jams. It was the thickness of the coating that caused the problems.

In a non match barrel they seem to work fine.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:50 AM
paxaboris

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
I had no problems with the Patriot Load in my Ruger Mark IV with the stock barrel but they would not work in my Volquartsen barrel. My friend was shooting them in his Mark III Hunter and had the same problems I had with my VQ barrel.

He decided to mic the ammo and see what the difference was. The white ones were from .224 - .226, Reds were .223 - .224 and the blues were 223 - 225.

The whites gave both of us more jams. It was the thickness of the coating that caused the problems.

In a non match barrel they seem to work fine.
Wow, thanks for posting. I don't know why but I never once thought about the color being a coating and the issue possibly stemming from there. Part W.A.G. (wild *** guess)and part educated guess, but perhaps the torn/deformed rims I've been seeing (all colors were effected in my case) is due to the cartridge not fully seating, leaving a gap between the rim and chamber, which in turn would mean the firing pin was punching through it harder and, without a 'backstop " for the rim, the harder metal of the pin was simply going through.

What calipers did he use out of curiosity?

I'll try my recently dropped Mitutoyos and see if the drop didn't knock them of too badly to get a good reading for the differences. Hopefully I have some CCIs that use the same bullet without the coating to see how big a difference there is.

Come to think of it, the 10/22 that gave me the most trouble with them was a 1230 which uses a Ruger Bull barrel so that would certainly follow with the results you found with a match grade barrel. The other Ruger that had issues with the ammo too is a Takedown model. It doesn't have a match barrel but there's probably similar chamber seating variances in how it comes together.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:19 AM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
He works for National Calibration and his job is to calibrate all sorts of material to see if they are up to snuff. I think he used something from work but I'll check and let you know.