Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:03 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Under Pressure

I'm pretty good at grilling and can even pull off a little bit of baking. But my favorite method of making big meals is the crockpot. You throw a bunch of ingredients together, turn it on low, and eat around 8 hours later.

Slow cooking is great. But you have to plan ahead. Sometimes you don't have that luxury and need something fast. So a few years ago, I bought a pressure cooker. I understand the concept, but have still never used it.

All of the instructions I have found online indicate cooking in stages. Add meat, cook for a while; add hearty vegetables, cook for a while; add light vegetables, finish the cooking. Each one of these stages involves a heating/cooling cycle. So I don't see how this is going to get a meal prepared any faster.

Do any of you do any cooking with a pressure cooker? I would like to know how to use one (in practical terms) to make a meal quickly. Perhaps you can share your experience and maybe a recipe?

Thanks!!!
TE
Old 04-22-2018, 12:18 PM
Keeley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Handle

Excuse me but with the handle "Test Engineer" you ought to be up to going out on a limb and risking things on your own!😁😎
Old 04-22-2018, 01:28 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Re: Handle

"Keeley": A beautiful, model type girl that all the boys want and fight over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2018, 01:31 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can run your model steam engines off a pressure cooker.

If I am in a hurry, I nuke my food.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:31 PM
Keeley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Keelsy

Actually thats Keeley laying on the gun case scared she's gonna be left behind.

Whenever the local supermarket has personal size steaks on sale buy one package of 3 or 4 and get two free or the same thing with chicken breasts I take half a dozen of them, a big can of chili or enchilada sauce, a can of jalapenos and a can of beer and let things cook in the crock pot until you can shread the meat. Pretty good stuff that a loner can divide up and put in the freezer.

Last edited by Keeley; 04-22-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:15 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess from the complete absence of useful replies, that nobody at RFC uses a pressure cooker.

Interesting that doing a web search for "how to use a pressure cooker" returns very little useful information. But searching for "how to pressure cook a pork butt" returns a wealth of videos and recipes for all kinds of cooking. After watching a number of videos to get some idea of cooking times and so on - I took the plunge last night.

I added a can of beer and a steam tray. Half an onion and 2 pounds of marinated pork butt and the lid. Let it cook for 60 minutes and cooled the lid to drop the pressure and opened it up.

Had to add some water, then some potatoes, carrots, and apple slices. Continued cooking for another 15 minutes and let it cool for 10 minutes on it's own. I released the remaining pressure with the steam valve and chowed down.

So here's what I found to be the pros and cons of the pressure cooker vs the crock pot:

1) Prep time is the same for both.
2) The pressure cooker will loose about 12 ounces of moisture an hour.
3) Steamed meat will be a little bit drier than the steeped meat. Not bad, but drier none the less.
4) Cook time of 1.5 hours for the PC verses 6.0 hours for the crock pot. This is starting with thawed meat from the fridge. Don't know about starting with frozen meat.
5) Veggies cook very fast. I was surprised the potatoes were cooked completely so fast.
6) Cleaning the crock pot requires some soak time to loosen the stuff that burns onto the edges. The pressure cooker rinsed right out.
7) The crock has to have electricity to work. The PC could be used over gas or coals if that's what you have available. So it could go along to hunting camp.

Most of the videos I saw were using some computer programmed type of cookers. More convenient for the kitchen, but less versatile than the one I have. As I use it more and gain experience cooking different types of food - I think I'll enjoy the flexibility more and more. But for now, the crock is still my fave!

I hope this helps someone who has thought about getting one and chickened out.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:51 AM
JamesHP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been wary of pressure cookers ever since I was a kid. My dad was cooking with one and all of a sudden the lid blew off and hit the ceiling. No one was hurt but…

Saw this in the news today. See below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7EDC57AE-5E72-47A5-9D83-4BF6CD98A84B_1568044302740.jpeg (116.3 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by JamesHP; 09-09-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:52 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OUCH!

I don't even know how you'd be able to do that with more modern cookers. Manufacturers added several safety valves to the cooker I have. I think this was possibly mandated by the powers that be after terror attacks used old pressure cookers converted to bombs.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:27 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

I am not a good cook. Occasionally, I cook ribs, boiling them, then broiling them. They are tender. My wife bought me an Instapot, and I cooked ribs in it using the same method. It worked well.

I bought my son and daughter an Instapot for Christmas. They use them for many dishes, not just tough meat.

I have not used the Instapot since I made the ribs. I am not an Instapot expert or a good cook, but it seems that there is a much wider variety of meals cooked in the Instapot than the older stove top pressure cooker that my mother used.

Always remember when shooting a Red Ryder, that you might shoot your eye out. Wear a helmet when using a pressure cooker.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:58 PM
Rem504
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have an InstaPot and it has been my experience that it is more trouble than it's worth for everyday cooking needs.