Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:26 PM
TallGeo
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
cz 457 22 mag

I am fairly new to shooting, although I'm an old guy. I have a cz 457 American 22 mag and I love it. Have a Nikon scope on it and it's probably more accurate than I'll ever be. My question is: Is the 22 mag any more accurate than a 22 lr or not? I've been using Hornady 30 gr. v-max ammo and am pleased with it. Any other suggestions? Is match or target ammo that much better? Or am I just spitting hairs?
I'll be interested in hearing opinions.
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:49 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is no match grade 22mag ammo. The 22mag has got a lot of bad rep from the 17 mag fanboys. Internet lies. I dpnt have to tell you. You can see how it shoots. For me, the 30 gr vamx does well in all my rifles. IMHO you can stick with that and be deadly on the appropriate size critters. Or shoot targets. I find the 22mag Vmax it shoots about as well as CCI standard velocity or CCI mini mags in comparable guns. If I upgrade the gun, the 22LR is more accurate even with the same ammo. I can then upgrade the 22LR ammo for more improvement. This is not a game you can play with rimfire magnums. Not to the same extent.

The 22mag is a hunting round. The American is good hunting rifle, although it can do a lot more.

Something people dont like to admit, or I should say my experience, I can shoot a 1" 5 shot group at 100 yards with 22mag much easier than I can do that with a higher grade 22LR setup. Theory vs actual results. I know the 17 mag folks have the same experience (or naturally much better on the internet). The high velocity makes it MUCH easier to shoot flat out to 100. Try that with 22lr, with a foot or more drop. In some cases you can run out of scope adjustment. The magnums, no problem. Same with the wind!
Old 11-29-2019, 12:05 AM
ronsatspokane

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
As the previous poster said, there is no match grade 22 mag ammo. Same goes for 17 HMR. Some people are reporting extreme spreads of as high as 80 FPS in those calibers. Not conducive to extreme accuracy.

There are a great many varieties of match grade 22 lr. 22 lr is more subject to wind but if you read wind well or luck out with a windless day, you'll easily out shoot the mag calibers with a 22 lr. Rifle and ammo depending. As in, don't try it with a Cricket and Wall Mart bulk ammo but an Anschutz 54 action with Ely Tenex will get the job done. As will a CZ MTR or any heavy barreled quality built rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2019, 12:09 AM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
TallGeo sir to start with to RFC where we here will help you spend more money on Rimfire stuff than you ever dreamed of...I know I have and love every minute of it.

Now to answer your questions Fourbore has given you lots of great information...the magnums and the 22lr are like apples and oranges...the magnums are hunting rounds and the 22lr is an all around cartridge. Fourbore is correct there is no target grade 17hmr or 22mag ammunition. Match or target grade ammo is put together so each round is a close as the next one...so the velocity is the same or as close as it can be. if you had or bought a chronograph then you can see how much difference there is between each round/bullet that flies out your barrel.

The 22mag was never designed to me nothing more than a hunting cartridge and a good one at that...the ammo of yesteryear is different than what is made today...so when your shooting your 30gr V max ammo out of your rifle you will get better results than they used to be. That being said I love the 22mag and until some one makes a target or match grade 22mag cartridge we are stuck with what we get.

The 22lr for hunting for me is a joke and I don't shoot any 22lr any more...its either the 17hmr or the 22mag for me because I am a hunter and I need the extra power and range the magnums give me. The 22lr in my eyes is only good for at best 75yards on a good day...where the 22mag will give me about 125yards and the 17hmr will give me more than 150 yards...depending on the game I am hunting. I am not saying the 22lr can't do business at 100 yards but it drops so much that I don't even want to try to take game out that far.

I buy noting but 22mags and 17hmr in rimfire rifles I do own CF rifles in 17 Hornet, 22 Hornet, 222 and 223 and others. Every cartridge has it's plus and minus. It all depends on what your needs are.

I own like 12x 22magnums and 4x or 5x 17hmr rifles and I choose which one is best for my needs that day. Now as far as the ammo I shoot I have been very happy with CCI 40 GR HP ammo in all my 22magnum rifles which are CZs, Marlin, Ruger and Savage rifles. I do have some 30gr Vmax but I have not tried it yet.

The one thing I do want to talk about is the size of my target at those ranges every thing I hunt is beiger than a tennis ball...rabbit or gopher...so the magnums work for me...trying to shoot something at 125 yards with a 22lr it drops like a brick past a 100 yards...not good. I am not trying to put 3 or 5 or even 10 shots in the same hole as bench rest/target shooters do. I have had my years of that and I want more of a challenge with live game that will not wait until your breathing is correct or the wind stops blowing I have to find my target, aim and shoot with in a few seconds not five minutes between trigger pulls. If I can get 1.5" groups at a hundred yards I am more than happy...because it's smaller than a tennis ball. some of my rifles do better than that if I and my ammo do their jobs. See that is the problem with rimfire ammo we have to rely on the manufactures to produce ammo that will have the same velocity...its not like CF stuff where you can load your own and produce excellent results.

I am not here to start a war...this is what I use my magnums for. Everybody is different and needs are different too.

Good luck on your quest and enjoy your rifle

Signalman
Old 11-29-2019, 01:06 AM
ronsatspokane

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Signalman, try the 30 grain VMax's. I only have two 22 mags, an 1885 Low Wall and a CZ 455 FS. Those 30 grain VMax's are the best I've found accuracy wise in those two rifles. It'd be interesting to hear what your experience is in your collection.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:18 PM
TallGeo
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys. Now my next question is: If 17hmr is accurate also, do I - 1) purchase a 17 hmr (what model?) cz or 2) purchase a 17hmr barrel and interchange with my 22mag? Silly question??
Old 11-29-2019, 03:21 PM
TallGeo
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BTW, shooting only at the range.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:00 PM
whtsmoke
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to whtsmoke
My 457 Lux likes the V-Max round, the first group I shoot with it measured .5195 and I would have done more but I had 5 more rifles to sight in. This was a fifty yard group.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSF8232.jpg (192.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 12-30-2019, 03:40 AM
Edcnh

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
22 Mag Info

Very good information on the accuracy of 22 mag vs 22 lr. I just picked up a used Marlin 983S in 22 magnum. It is my first 22 magnum rifle. I will have to try some of the 30g V-Max ammunition. As for 22lr I have a CZ 452 and it is a tack driver.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:45 PM
Kragman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think of the .22 magnum as a 150 yard gun for all kinds of "stuff".
Rabbits and squirrels? No problem but if you want to eat them its head shots. Gophers/ground hogs are natural prey for the 22 mag, and for a long ways out. Same for coyote sized stuff. Its even legal for deer hunting in Maine, and they grow big and strong up north.

My old Mossberg can't miss an empty 12ga shell at 200 feet (turns out that I can though) and will mangle a 22lr steel target at 50 or 75 yards.

I really wish RWS would start importing WMR ammo again (it was very accurate and around 300 fps hotter than American loading) or that someone would improve the available factory loads, but until then I'll be OK with "effectively accurate" instead of "match accurate".
Old 12-30-2019, 03:09 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
RWS did send a crate of 22wmr to the U.S. recently.
Price was $1.00 U.S. per cartridge.
Bought a couple boxes just to try 'em.
Can't offer an opinion without actual experience, right?

Bulk ammo. Not worth the expense.
Better results with CCI 40 gr fmj.
ES was in excess of 250 fps.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:47 PM
Kragman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Whoah...!
I'm not buying any WMR at $50/box...!
Old 12-30-2019, 09:02 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
K, the internet is full of posts of amazing rimfire accuracy.
I have found it necessary to verify for myself, whether or not those claims are true.
Awful lot of rimfire cartridge recommendations haven't produced the results described.
So when someone said RWS made great 22wmr ammo, I had to try it.
If I hadn't, I'd still be ignorant as to the actual quality of those cartridges.
It was worth the money spent for the knowledge gained.

The label reads "Field Line". That's RWS's disclaimer.
Let's you know up front, it's not their best quality ammunition.

Last edited by jaia; 12-30-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeo View Post
Thanks guys. Now my next question is: If 17hmr is accurate also, do I - 1) purchase a 17 hmr (what model?) cz or 2) purchase a 17hmr barrel and interchange with my 22mag? Silly question??
Most accurate 22lr, 50 yards. the hmr,wmr , etc are all hunting rounds, That being said , the wmrand hmr are fun to shoot at the range. Just dont expect 5 round groups smaller .than a dime. With $.15 a round plus wmr hmr ammo the groups will be the size of a qurter at 50 yards, about the same as cheap hv bulk 22 ammo.

Want 17 hmr , buy the cz barrel, 4 screws out 4 screws on, you can also buy a 22 cz barrel.