No more cash? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-16-2019, 11:28 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
No more cash?

A few days ago, I discovered a place that absolutely would not take cash green money, only credit cards. Took my wife to the Yuma AZ airport to catch a flight out, went to exit the parking lot, machine that controlled the exit gate would only take credit cards, no cash at all. If you dont have a credit card, you aint gettin' out of that parking lot. First time I have encountered something like this.

So, the City of Yuma had to pay Visa $3.00 to process my $1.00 fee to get out of the parking lot ?
Old 11-16-2019, 12:20 PM
Rhody
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Things have been trending that way for some time now. It will absolutely be a cashless society at some point.

It will not be long. Many people already do all their banking, bill paying, shopping, etc. on-line. I still write out checks the old fashioned way for most of my bills, but have a few things on auto pay with electronic transfer of funds. I may add utility bills, and cable/TV/ computer bills that are monthly bills. I have been reluctant to do so because I wonder what will happen should there be a problem with the technology and a bill doesn't get paid, or worse, one of those computers accidentally overcharges and drains my checking account. All my other bills wouldn't get paid.

Having said that, I always have some cash on me. I use it for small purchases at coffee shops, etc. Also, that's all they take at the social clubs to which I belong.

It won't be long before there are eye scanners or facial recognition technology attached to your bank accounts that will be installed at the markets and retailers of all kinds.

R

Last edited by Rhody; 11-16-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:36 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork
If you dont have a credit card, you aint gettin' out of that parking lot.

$1.00 fee to get out
If I didn't have a CC to get out, I'd pay with 4 quarters. Just wait until someone else is leaving and slip them in under the yard arm while it's up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2019, 12:44 PM
404tbang
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
It won't be long before there are eye scanners or facial recognition technology attached to your bank accounts that will be installed at the markets and retailers of all kinds.

R
That bothers me quite a bit. When Kroger started doing their Kroger card for discounts (marking the price way up and then using a card to get a discount that still leaves the item more expensive than other stores is not really a discount) they immediately started tracking whatever you buy. Other places will be able to do likewise but your banking records are ripe for the picking by unscrupulous people, whether it be the banks themselves selling data or the govt looking into your life.

Iím currently home after a surgery. Wonít be mobile for awhile. Iíve already sent my daughter out with my debit card to fill up my wifeís car with gas. Will likely send her to the store some until I can get mobile again. If such eye scan technology were in use it would make that impossible.

The big tech companies can collect mind boggling amounts of data on us already. Allowing more data to be acquired is Orwellian. All sorts of ways for this stuff to be abused.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:47 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
So, the City of Yuma had to pay Visa $3.00 to process my $1.00 fee to get out of the parking lot ?
More likely either a fixed cost contract or a percentage of sales deal.

Quote:
Things have been trending that way for some time now. It will absolutely be a cashless society at some point.
I am just about there. I use card almost everywhere I can. I use cash or check at small businesses just so they get that extra percentage in their pockets. Yeah, I know I'm giving up "points" on the card but I figure I might as well let the entrepreneur get the bank's cut.

All my recurring payments are made via direct debit from my bank or setup to charge to the card. Direct debit is more convenient as the card info has to be updated every time a new card is issued.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:47 PM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had the same $50 in my wallet for at least a year, I don't use cash for anything. With a no-fee debit card I use it everywhere for everything. Works the same for a $4 McDs lunch or $100 at the grocery store.

I'm an old guy without a smart phone so can't do any of the newer stuff but yes, I can see money going away at some point.

The only time I've used cash in the last year or so was when I took a taxi to the airport.

And BTW, my bank account is "free checking" but I haven't had any checks since I destroyed the last ones over a decade ago.

Edit: and slightly off topic but I moved here to NM (from Ohio) five years ago and never opened any bank account out here. With a debit card it doesn't matter where your money is, as long as they know where you live (so they don't flag your purchases) you can keep your old accounts. I've been a member of my CU for over 30 years.
I check my account online and that's faster and easier than calling on the phone the old way.

Another couple of points...it costs us a lot for the government to print our money.
Who would be affected the most if the US stopped printing money?? Illegal drug dealers, arms merchants, etc.

Last edited by Randy99CL; 11-16-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:01 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When the power goes out, credit cards won buy you nuthin. But currency prolly wont either. Then, well be bartering. One reason to buy golden bullets! To make chnge
Old 11-16-2019, 02:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am waiting for the day. I have a panhandler ask me for money. And I say sorry don't carry cash. Then he goes no problem whips out a smartphone and say I have square I can take cards
Old 11-16-2019, 02:23 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Yep, when used for good it's a good thing but on the other hand, I'm not so sure I'm ready for it?
Quote:
Surveillance technologies are giving the government a sense that it can finally achieve the level of control over people's lives that it aspires to.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-surveillance/
https://fortune.com/2018/10/28/in-ch...-watching-you/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH2gMNrUuEY
Old 11-16-2019, 02:51 PM
jbeachler
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I find it sort of funny that this subject came up on this forum. I am, like most of the above posts, doing electronic banking for the majority of my banking. However, I just went to a gun show this morning and I'll confirm that in my area of the country that a gun show is a "cash" business, and I don't see it changing in the near future.

Regarding the gun show, I didn't come home with anything, but did see two Stevens target rifles that I would have loved to bring home, but they were way above what I could afford.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Lots of gun shops still do cash discount or cash only. It's getting harder and harder to use nowadays. Try buying something in the classifieds without paypal.... vehemently anti gun company that explicitly states no gun parts, but list something for sale and the first question will be "do you take paypal".
Old 11-16-2019, 03:22 PM
Atonic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
Who would be affected the most if the US stopped printing money?? Illegal drug dealers, arms merchants, etc.
Poor people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
I check my account online and that's faster and easier than calling on the phone the old way.
Until something happens that you have to show up in person for.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:26 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hope cash never goes away. The government should put some teeth in "this note is legal tender for all debts public and private".

A also can understand why a business likes credit and debit cards. No money run to the bank. If your employee gets hurt or killed making the deposit, I'm thinking there is liability for the employer.

Since we are gun enthusiasts and mindful of those that would like to take our firearms away, keeping others out of the financial loop is a good argument for cash. I wonder how much of our electronic transaction info is sold?

I keep a fair stash of cash in my wallet. It is for emergencies. The last time was for a tow truck driver that was cash only. Having cash when the power is out at a big box store doesn't do much good, they have no way to take it and won't. Small stores with the owner in place are likely more flexible.

If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:39 PM
RJF22553
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Use my USAA CC for most every purchase: cash back that pretty much pays for my auto insurance. Most everything (Amazon, Subway, Burger-Thing, Mikkie-Dees, gas, and autopay for my AT&T wireless - including DirecTV, and Verizon home phone is paid with it). And I pay the bill on-line.

This month, had two major expenses ($14K for a LOT of tree removal, and $2K+ for a significant chimney repair). All on the USAA CC. Will pay it off in full when the bill comes as we have been saving up for this for over a year. Could have written checks, but paying with a CC is easy, saves me postage, and gets me cash back. And it is convenient. If Uncle Sam is interested in my payment to an arborist, he is welcome to come out and pick up the wood chips...

I haven't made any purchases with a CC that I'm concerned about. Last time I went to an ATM was eight months ago. Then again "I don't get out much".

There are really only two things a month that requires me to go on-line and pay electronically through the bank: my USAA CC and the electric bill. I pay those bills in my bathrobe. I could include the electric bill as an automatic payment through the CC, but they charge a 3% surcharge for that. On-line payment through Wells Fargo combined with paying off the USAA CC is a once-a-month on-line "chore". Easy.

Checks are for our farrier once a month, and tax payments.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:57 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My wise arse joke with some checkers has been do you still take cash? So far so good but I see it coming.
I'm with Szumi, ca$h or check should remain be legal tender in face to face transactions.

Rock on DOW!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$