Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:01 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
How can we call it a gun safe when it's inhabited by knock-goblins and dimple-demons. Gun locker or plumbers tool box might be a better term it seems.

Especially after a 7.2 earthquake!
Old 11-24-2019, 05:55 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post

Especially after a 7.2 earthquake!
Hey Mike_AK sir your not talking about the 7.? Earth Quake that happen July 5 2019 in Ridgecrest California are you ??

Signalman

Edit: that rocked the West Coast.

Last edited by Signalman; 11-24-2019 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:49 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman View Post
Hey Mike_AK sir your not talking about the 7.? Earth Quake that happen July 5 2019 in Ridgecrest California are you ??

Signalman

Edit: that rocked the West Coast.
No. 11/30/2018.

https://myfox8.com/2018/11/30/7-2-ma...horage-alaska/

Last edited by Mike_AK; 11-25-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:52 PM
drtom

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
dings in stock

Wet a clean terrycloth towel, place over the dents, touch with a hot iron to steam the dings away. Go slowly.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:05 PM
desmobob
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
How can we call it a gun safe when it's inhabited by knock-goblins and dimple-demons. Gun locker or plumbers tool box might be a better term it seems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhall82 View Post
...one that only has been transferred from the box to the safe had a little scuff mark on it from another Guns scope.
Other than my duck hunting shotgun, grouse hunting shotguns, and a few hunting rifles that see some tough times in the field, most of my nicks, dings, scratches, etc. come from getting guns in and out of gun safes! ("Hangar rash" in aircraft terms.)

We need a new shape of safe that is shallow and very wide, where all the firearms can be single-file and side-by-side!
Old 11-28-2019, 08:28 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can use wax. It works same on gunstocks as furniture. Hides the minor blemishes and provides a degree of protection. You can google Renissance wax for the museum quality solution. Or any wax maybe sufficient. I use this. FWIW.

Now another product I have used with amazing results on furniture is Howards Restore a finish. This is for a scratch in the finish. I NEVER used this on a gun. SO; this is just a tip, you could experiment with. Home Depot stocks. Try it on an old coffee table. I am real big on old used furniture and hate the new stuff. I used this a lot on old furniture. Not antique, old furniture I actually live with.

I have put a slight slight dab of Birchwood Casey True Oil on many guns. I would not be without this product in my bag of tricks. Not for applying over another finish. But; for refinish. Or for the OP, apply very small amount over a ding and rub it all off the surrounding wood. You cannot put this over wax. Then wax can be your friend. You have to choose your poison or think about the sequence. A fresh scratch will have taken the old wax off while undamaged area will be protected from unwanted over finish.

And not that anyone cares, but; I have a gallon of boiled linseed oil for touch up on USGI rifles. That jug is 30 years old. A little goes a long way.

If you want to know more, buy a lot of products and experiment. It wont take long to get a feel for what works for you and where what works best.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:56 PM
Blackdogs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just my 2 cents:
It bugs me at first, but after I've killed a couple things with it, it becomes my buddy. Nobody cares if their buddy has a few scars.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:13 PM
longislandloco
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Those are character marks, my Model 70 has plenty, I remember how the rifle got just about all and on what hunt.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:04 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdogs View Post
Just my 2 cents:
It bugs me at first, but after I've killed a couple things with it, it becomes my buddy. Nobody cares if their buddy has a few scars.
Hah! I like the way you think.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:39 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdogs View Post
Just my 2 cents:
I’m pretty much the same way. I try to take care of them but if they get a ding while I’m using them, it is about as likely to endear the gun to me as to bother me very much.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:19 AM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I am pretty much like several above. If I am hunting and it gets a ding... I cry, and then proceed with the hunt. There are several of my bird guns that I am more careful with as the wood quality is a bit further up the food chain and I really want to keep them "nice" so I may not use them in bad weather or rough hunting spots.

Just me....
Old 11-29-2019, 07:39 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhall82 View Post
How do you guys handle it when you notice your beautiful CZ getting a few scuff marks from handling, bumping in the safe or use in the field? I know some say they add character, but they hurt me every time. Just curious as to how everyone else feels about the subject. Love the forum!
How many answers has this poor guy got?

Maybe you would have been better to post at the link below. I am sure you will get some help here. The ego/feel good responses will align with the question. Use human nature to your best advantage.

Quote:
Stocks: Making, Repairing, Refinishing, Modifying, and Bedding
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...play.php?f=275
Old 11-29-2019, 10:54 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
Now another product I have used with amazing results on furniture is Howards Restore a finish. This is for a scratch in the finish.
The ghost of Noremf will be along shortly to school us all on the evils of silicone.

I miss that guy.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:22 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
The ghost of Noremf will be along shortly to school us all on the evils of silicone.

I miss that guy.
Me too. Very much.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:01 PM
eggplant

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I quit buying high gloss finishes.., just safe queens unless you can afford 3 of everything (signalman). I prefer good oiled satin finishes anyway. Much more practical and easier to hide any dings. The very few safe queens I have kept stay in the safe, or gun cabinet for display. Someone mentioned getting cheaper stocks for when you just have to take the gun out to shoot. Makes sense to me...