Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

30th Anniversary of the Loma Prieta

700 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  GreggieBoy 
#1 ·
What a wild ride that was!

#2 ·
It started out like a normal shaker. Maybe about 5-6 seconds in it really picked up. I worked out of an office about 5 miles south of Candlestick Park. Waited to hear the news reports before heading to my in laws place in SF. Traffic wasn't too bad. When I exited the freeway I turned off of Bayshore Blvd. At the intersection there were young guy throwing rocks, bricks, and bottles at the cars that just left the World Series at the ball park area. It was plain savagery and unruly disorder.

#8 ·
I do remember that day very clearly,,,

I was living in Paradise California at that time,,,
You know that mountain town that was recently burned to ashes.

My friend and I were setting the TV up on the outside deck,,,
We had just got it plugged in and were watching the pre-game stuff.

Dave was squatting in front of the TV when he turned to me and said,,,
"Did you feel that? It was a tremor!"

Right at that moment the TV started showing the trembling of Candle-Stink Park,,,
We had several friends who were rendered homeless by that quake,,,
Fortunately none of them were physically hurt.

Another reason I am glad I left California when I did.

Aarond

#9 ·
And THEN, the media circus began! I was about 8 miles south of the epicenter, which almost 100 miles away from where the media would have had you believe it was. To say that "nobody cared" would be an understatement, but the all the media cared about was "when will the world series resume?". To those who lived through it, we couldn't have possibly cared less about the world series at that point in time.

#10 ·
Had a friend of mine who worked for a company that built models. He was assigned to build an exact duplicate of the Cypress after it feel, crushed cars and all. Took him months. Never found out who commissioned it or what the purpose was.

One of my coworkers at that time was on his way to a service call in San Leandro. He passed through the part of 880/Cypress that collapsed less than 10 minutes after he passed through it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.