Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

What kind of shooter will I be in 3 -10 years

986 views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Al the Infidel 
#1 ·
Many threads and posts have me wondering what kind of shooter will I be in 3 years or more. While buying ahead, it's now occurring to me that the ammo and guns that I'm satisfied with now might need to be upgraded in the future.

Is there much sense in buying ahead and what advice do you want to offer based on your experience?

Has it been easy enough to sell what you no longer want?

Right now, I'm feeling pretty good about what I have. More needed than ammo or guns would be more range time or move to a property where I could shoot right at home. That would greatly help practice and enjoyment.

#2 ·
That's a pretty open ended question. I guess it depends on what you want to do with your shooting? Competition? Hunt? Plinking? Informal target work?

Practice will almost always make a better shooter, but practice with a mentor who knows what he is doing will accelerate the process and hopefully weed out bad habits before they form... once you reach a certain proficiency that you don't see any improvement it will probably be time to move up to better equipment and ammo.... No reason you can't buy good equipment now, but I have several rather inexpensive vintage rifles that shoot very well and I don't worry so much about getting a small ding or scratch on them from repeated range trips or hunting trips...

Before buying expensive equipment, though, you may want to decide what you plan on doing with it and tailor you buying to the discipline you plan on pursuing... just my 2.5 cents' worth....

Bob

#3 ·
My advice is to buy guns/calibers that offer the most versatility and ammo availability first. Over time, you can acquire the more specialized stuff to meet your most current interests/needs.

My primary interest in guns has always been for hunting. So my first purchase was a 12 gage shotgun. That allowed for hunting birds, bunnies, and so on. With a slug, I could also hunt big game if I was close enough.

Next came a better setup for big game. I went with a 30-06 because it can be loaded down for coyotes, and loaded up for something very large like moose. Also, if I ran short of ammo out in the field, there's a very high probability I could find someone that would have some ammo I could borrow/buy.

A convertible .22 revolver came next. Shorts to Mags work, and there's no pellets to pick out of bunnies and such.

With the basics covered, a .44 mag revolver joined my herd. It can be used for everything from self defense to big game (with the right bullets/loads).

A black powder rifle opened me up to hunting in nicer weather, with the same idea of versatility. You see how I think. Specialized guns and general "goof around" guns only came later, as my expendable income grew.

As far as selling guns, that shouldn't be a problem unless you're looking to make a bunch of money from investment/collector guns. But I've only sold off a couple in my life, and I didn't lose any money - even after using/enjoying them. :t

#5 ·
When I was working I would shoot at least once a week because there was a range close to the house. I always shot my 45's and 22 pistols. My black powder rifle once in a while. When PCP air rifles started to become popular I purchased one because I could shoot it in my back yard at 25 yards with my neighbors being none the wiser.

When a Mossberg model 43 came up for sale cheap on a motorcycle forum I bought it. Not having owned a rimfire rifle before I equipped it with a scope and took it to the range. Put a five shot 5/16 group on the bulls eye from 25 yards. At my age I was very happy with the results and took the target home and put it on the wall. Not something most on here would consider very good shooting but at my age I was happy. I hope I continue to shoot this good for a few more years.

#8 ·
Is there much sense in buying ahead and what advice do you want to offer based on your experience?
I wouldn't do it that way. You're guessing about what might interest you three years from now and trying to buy now what you will want then. Way too hard to anticipate your future self, IMO. Instead I would wait until the interest developed then buy the gear for that interest.

Has it been easy enough to sell what you no longer want?
Mostly. If resell is a concern you should limit yourself to popular platforms chambered for popular cartridges.

#9 · (Edited)
Not knowing what your interests and goals are it is hard if not impossible to foretell accurately what you should be purchasing.
As far as ammunition goes, I'd stick with those that have been around awhile and preferably a military or one previously used by the military (US or others). For example: .308 (7.62), .30-06, 45 ACP, 9mm. 7.62 x 39, or even .22LR for cost and portability.

Some military ammunition like 6.5 x 55 Swede has been around for quite some time and is a good round, however it isn't as popular on this side of the ocean and could be harder to find. .45-70 has been around a LONG LONG LONG time and is still popular, but it has had times when it was not as popular, but currently seems to be a good choice for some circumstances.

What ever ammunition you choose buy more than you think you'll need, it keeps for decades, if stored properly and it rarely goes down in price. Purchase reloading equipment in the calibers you are going to use, also powder, bullets and primers, if you are going to reload, otherwise buy more ammunition with the money you don't use for reloading equipment.

It's hard to beat a bolt action for accuracy, durability, and lower cost than a semi-auto rifle. Again, older and used military equipment might be a good choice. There's a reason the military selected it and parts are probably more widely available.

#10 ·
Knowing what will peek your interest in the future is not possible. It’s better to go at this in a Zen like fashion. At least that’s what I do. My rekindled interest started out because of a Perceived need for additional self-defense. But soon I became enamored with shooting rimfire. I started out with a 1022 which I built into a target 1022 and then I got interested in bolt action 22s and then I got interested in lever action 22s and then I went back to target 1022s And then I caught the CZ bug.But various other things have grabbed my fancy along the way. Somewhere in there I got interested in semi auto center fire guns and military surplus and different EDCs For self-defense. They are all interesting and all fun to shoot.

As for selling guns I don’t do that but if I had to I really don’t think there’s a problem in finding a buyer. It’s not like golf we are the clubs have a little value after a couple of seasons.

Are usually buy used guns ones I’m interested in because I read about them or ones that grabbed my eye at the store..

#23 · (Edited)
I'm retiring this January and wonder the same thing myself,,,

I'm retiring this January and wonder the same thing myself,,,
I have found it to be a bit ironic that as I get older,,,
I now have the means to shoot more often,,,
But the eyes are going fuzzier as well.

When I was a kid my Pop wold have laughed at me for sitting at a bench,,,
His words would have been something like,,,
"Ain't no benches out hunting boy."

I'm not an eagle eyed spring chicken any more,,,
And while I'm not "shaky" like some my age,,,
I'm not exactly rock steady either.

Over the past 6-7 years I've changed styles quite a bit,,,
When shooting my pistols I no longer shoot at bullseye targets,,,
I've changed over to human silhouette and am happy to hit center mass.

I used to do all of my rifle shooting standing up,,,
Occasionally I would lean against a pole,,,
Lately I find myself sitting at a bench.

My rifle/pistol club has monthly rimfire silhouette matches,,,
I've "played" a bit at this with printed paper targets,,,
It's satisfying & fun but I won't ever win a match.

I'll just do it to have a good time socializing with other shooters.

I peaked in proficiency a few years back,,,
Now my accuracy level is slowly dropping year by year.

It's still enjoyable to pull a trigger so I keep on doing it,,,
But I also wonder "What kind of shooter will I be in 3 -10 years?"

Aarond

#24 · (Edited)
Psychic prediction mode activated.

“In 3-10 years, you will be a better shooter than you are now. You will probably try several of the shooting disciplines but you will find one or two that you will concentrate on more than the others. You will meet new friends, some who will mentor you and others whose company you enjoy. Eventually, you will mentor others. You will have fun.”

Psychic prediction mode off. :D

Gregg

#25 ·
Psychic prediction mode activated.

"In 3-10 years, you will be a better shooter than you are now. You will probably try several of the shooting disciplines but you will find one or two that you will concentrate on more than the others. You will meet new friends, some who will mentor you and others whose company you enjoy. Eventually, you will mentor others. You will have fun."

Psychic prediction mode off. :D

Gregg
Not bad. :bthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.