Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Marlin Picture Thread

282K views 679 replies 378 participants last post by  scout22 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and didn't notice a picture thread in the Marlin area. I thought maybe we could start one if you guys have any pics.

#37 ·
Thanks guys.

I was one of the lucky people to actually receive my stock from "Sharpsman". It's a laminate. You can find pictures of my bedding job elsewhere in this forum, or stored on my website here: www.geocities.com/rcrdps/Web/Gun/newstock . or www.genesdomain.com and go to Ballistics.

Bipod is Outers. Scope is a Cableas Pine Ridge Rimfire Tactical with the 17HMR turrets on it. The barrel is soldered to the reciever to make the joint stiffer since I "block" bedded the barrel and not the reciever. The reciever floats. Blueing is removed, and painted with Krylon Camo colors. Moly Fusion in the barrel. Weaver #16 bases, Warne quick-release rings. Shooting equipment is a Bushnell Trophy Range finder, Burris spotting scope and tripod, and the shooting pad is the paratrooper's thingy you can buy from Cheaperthandirt.com.

Now for the stuff ya'll are probably actually interested in,...

The ammo holder is custom from a friend of mine. He owns an upholstery business( candmupholstery.com). The bolt handle is custom by me. I made it on my lathe. Turned out of steel bar. It feels good. Basically, I cut off the original ball, threaded the handle, and threaded on my custom one.

Current aspirations, aside from actually getting to shoot it with the new scope, are to decrease the head space. I measured it. It's about 7 thousandths. I want it to be less than a thousandth. I bought some shim for it.

Last but not least, don't ask about groups. I don't get to shoot often enough for that. That's why I work on my gun(s) so much. When I go out to shoot, I spend half the time getting my zero( since I likely played with it since the last shoot), and the other half hitting a spinner, or watching others shoot. Not much time alone to shoot groups,....

Sorry for the long writeup,..

Gene

#39 · (Edited)
#41 · (Edited)
I wants every one of these!!!!!!!!!! I've caught the Marlin bug and I'm luvin' it. I'm waking up every morning with a Mar-lon

I'm a sucker for the Glenfield 70(79) blonde model. I'm grateful this thread started. We did need a photo area for Marlins.

Here's a pair of M60 cantilever projects I have on the drawing board....I'm praying for some help with the stock designs.
- Adjustable Cantilever - Aggressive Comb & Semi-Beavertail - Bedded Barrel with floating action - 1.5 lb trigger - Zero Creep - Minimal Over-travel - 9 Shot Mag - Vented forend - Adjustable comb is being considered.

Marlins Git 'er Done-

#44 · (Edited)
Thanks again MWSwiss-
Should the rubber compound (cool idea) fail in time, a old bicycle tire can give you similar results. Same complaint...cheap scopes kept loosing their poa when the rifle would cycle. Softening the blow to the buffer corrects alot of poa issues.

I've stoned firing pins before. Haven't done it on mine yet. Did cut off almost 2 coils of the hammer spring...No FTFs yet.

Polishing the sear/hammer engagements helps with some good ol' graphite, for sure. One of my all time favorite lubes.

Headed for work tonight. Have a good'un.

#45 ·
rcrdps were did you get that ammo storage belt on your marlin. I really like it.
Also is that a custom bolt handle or whats the story about it.
thanks your your help
joseph socal

#48 ·
Here's some more, though my pic skills are way subpar - sorry about that.

Midget Magnum purchased here recently on board - Thanks Ken. :t Good guy to do business, btw.

Marlin 782, Jap Tasco 4x scope:

Marlin 81, my firstest powder gun ever.

And Ole Man River's .22 magnum magazine short conversion - this with standard magazine installed, short shown outside:

And with shortened installed in magazine well - you decide which is more comfortable to carry. :)

Have a coupla other Marlins (Marlin 60, Marlin 39M Mountie, Glenfield 25), but no pics. :(

#49 ·
I just have two Marlins...
A chopped down 336 in 30-30 Win...the gun shoots like a target rifle with it's factory open sights at 100 yards! My father-in-law's buddy had the barrel cut down and re-crowned to w/in a 1/4" of ATF's minimum so he could use it as a saddle gun I guess.

Here's my 39A...a 1968 model gun I picked up this past spring and fell in love with after paying $300 at a local gun shop.

Love those Marlin lever guns.

Bob

#50 ·
Here's a project of mine you might be interested. I took my 980S (which I had previously worked on while i was finishing a Richard's Microfit stock) and rebarreled it with a GM 20" SS fluted barrel (modified the shank of a .920 10/22 barrel to fit the Marlin reciever. I replaced the trigger that I tuned up myself with a Rifle Basix trigger and have that set up now. I've been working on a target stock for a long time and finally got to painting it today, although that is still incomplete. I have yet to finish the pillar and glassbedding and cut out a trigger guard.

Here's the rifle sitting in the stock (white sealer coat). Scope is a Mueller APV 4.5-14x40mmAO (Burris Zee rings).

Stock after painting today. I have yet to do some touch-up work and clear-coat it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.